Saw My First South African Boerboel Today!

RiverStar-Aura

OMG!! :love: He was 4 months old and already packing 30 kilos! Such a gorgeous breed but OMG huge! His paws were massive and he's going to reach around 80 kilos full grown.

They're apparently not a recognised breed in Australia yet but the Boelboel breeders are working towards this. Has anyone else here come across one? And I was more shocked that there's a local breeder in my area -- I had to drive to the ACT for my Aussie Terrier! :laugh:

Thanks Sandra,

No agreement with the breeder.

I just thought it was 'the right thing to do' but since i don't really have a valid response to my partner i am quetioning for what is right for the dog. Our family dogs have always been big backyard dogs (and female at that) so i hadn't really considered not desexing him.

I guess seeing so many rescue dogs etc i thought it was the right thing to ensure there would be no 'accidents' we could be repsonsible for. Perhaps it should be left for now and if our circumstances change and we are in a different living arrangement then consider it when he is older or if he starts getting a little hormonal!

I had to look them up I had never heard of them. I do agree they are gorgeous, but I really love mastiff breeds.

my other half had one come into his work the other day in a ute he was working on. he is in love! were in canberra and apperently this guy breeds them. i guess when he says he wants a " man dog" rather then a chihauhua thats what he means lol. he sent me pics, ill see if i can find them :)

They are gorgeous!!! Sandra from NDS breeds them - there are 2 of her pups in Roys class atm and she has her adult male that demonstrates - just awesome...but the drool lol!!!

BC Love the boy I met, Zuka, is from one of Sandra's litters. His owner works at Pet Barn and also has him at NDS. Very handsome boy!!

Im from south africa and a few of my friends had them. Lovely dogs and very good guard dogs.

I am not sure what they were orginally bred to do but their name means 'farmers' dog so I guess it had to do with protecting livestock on the farm maybe?? Heaps of farmers still have them but mainly to gaurd their farms as they are great guard dogs, they are very silent in their attack they will bite first with no warning.

they are very silent in their attack they will bite first with no warning.

I certainly hope that Australian breeders aren't breeding for this trait. Attacking without warning is not a desirable trait in any dog, especially since these are becoming more popular in suburbia.

I certainly hope that Australian breeders aren't breeding for this trait. Attacking without warning is not a desirable trait in any dog, especially since these are becoming more popular in suburbia.

Remember the dogs in south africa feed off the fear of their owners and will attack because that is their job - if someone is on your property you will not mind your dogs having a go there , my ridgebacks were never trained to dislike strangers but if you put your hands through the gate into our yard they would have a go.

I think they are lovely if raised correctly etc. A friend of mine was sitting on the floor petting a boerboel and it then turned and bit her in the face. I myself would not have one though as they are just not for me.

Remember the dogs in south africa feed off the fear of their owners and will attack because that is their job - if someone is on your property you will not mind your dogs having a go there , my ridgebacks were never trained to dislike strangers but if you put your hands through the gate into our yard they would have a go.

I think they are lovely if raised correctly etc. A friend of mine was sitting on the floor petting a boerboel and it then turned and bit her in the face. I myself would not have one though as they are just not for me.

My aunt had a dalmation that bit one of her friends on the face. This man needed over 200 stitches in his face. Can happen with any breed.

hmm here is something contriversial....If part of the reason they were to bred os tp attack in silence, I'd rather seem them not bred here then that trait be bred out of them...

I love them by the way awesome creature