30% Of Aust Cats And Dogs Are Vegan.....apparently

Inevitablue

The Sun Herald pet feature today-

'What to wolf down'

'Kathy Chau of Sydney pet-food retailer Vegepooch says the right diet for cats and dogs can exclude all animal products. "People have different reasons for raising vegan pets," Chau says.".........

'Chau claims "about 30 per cent" of Australian cat and dog owners feed their pets a vegan diet'

Am I the only one who thinks that, at face value, it's a ridiculous figure pulled out of somewhere dark? :confused:

The Sun Herald pet feature today-

'What to wolf down'

'Kathy Chau of Sydney pet-food retailer Vegepooch says the right diet for cats and dogs can exclude all animal products. "People have different reasons for raising vegan pets," Chau says.".........

'Chau claims "about 30 per cent" of Australian cat and dog owners feed their pets a vegan diet'

Am I the only one who thinks that, at face value, it's a ridiculous figure pulled out of somewhere dark? :confused:

I think it's a bit over the top too

Oh geez - where the heck did that figure come from - I know people that have tried vegan diets for their cats (they were vegan) and needless to say it was a disaster for the cat. What part of obligate carnivore do these people not get. If you can't cope with feeding a cat meat then don't get one - a pet rabbit or cavy might make a better pet for this type of person. Only slightly less comfortable with the thought of a dog being on a vegan diet - again choose a different spp as a pet.

I think this was more a case of an editor telling some 16 year old apprentice to get off their ass and write an article. Hippy diet for a cat or horoscope telling people they'll get a screw this weekend. Poor apprentice chose the hippy diet :rofl:

Edited by raz

I would think that only people who are themselves vegan would consider a vegan diet for their pet... 30% of Australians are not vegan :laugh: I've been vegan for 23 years and it's rare to meet another proper vegan.

For the record- there is enough meat on this vegan :laugh: And my dogs are not vegan. I even buy and touch bones for them :laugh:

Well i had thought it was a slow news day due to other news items but this one takes the cake - inaccurate (ala the cats needing meat) and just a veiled ad for whoever they quoted. Its a bit like how a massive percentage of teh population apparently want to live in little dog boxes and not have backyards yet the main suppliers of the info for those ads/stories is .... wait for it..... building companies that make the dog box townhouses!!!

Edited by rubiton