Is It Ok To Give A Young Dog A Deer Antler?

Is 5-6mo baby? Last time she was here [about a month ago] she lost a baby tooth chewing on a dried trotter. I don't know if she still has baby teeth, but she's really tucking into the antler. It's keeping her nice and quiet, I'd hate to take it from her! :laugh:

My dog who can munch up marrow bones into splinters, did ok with deer antler, but it was still messy - despite the marketing, there was red goo everywhere. So I don't know if that meant it was her blood or the insides of the antler are a bit messy and not as clean as promised. I couldn't find a cut inside my dog's mouth so I don't know.

Cows hoof went better though it was quite smelly being chewed. It did allow me to watch a whole Susan Garrett webinar without interuption.

I guess - try a bit of deer antler and supervise. And limit the chew time - the first time. Ie five to ten minutes maybe.

As a general rule, if you want to look after your bull breeds teeth and for the dog to have them for a long time. They should only have consumable , softer bone. They have very strong jaws and can fracture and wear down their teeth. They often become fixated on whatever they are chewing and will grind those teeth down.

I've taken it off her, but godammit those ten minutes of peace were fantastic :cry: And the trotters are so expensive :cry:

Fixated is exactly what she was, she could've gone for hours. At what age would she be safe to have an antler?

did ok with deer antler, but it was still messy - despite the marketing, there was red goo everywhere. So I don't know if that meant it was her blood or the insides of the antler are a bit messy and not as clean as promised. I couldn't find a cut inside my dog's mouth so I don't know.

Doesn't have to be a cut in the mouth, could be as simple as pushing on a gum.

Sounds like dog blood and nom nom juice with saliva.

I've taken it off her, but godammit those ten minutes of peace were fantastic :cry: And the trotters are so expensive :cry:

Fixated is exactly what she was, she could've gone for hours. At what age would she be safe to have an antler?

You can give it to her at any age - BUT limit the time especially if the dogs get fixated on them or anything.

Dogs wear teeth down on Tennis Balls.

I think any thing that the dog can't destroy by chewing, is likely to be harder than the dog's teeth - ie if the chew doesn't break or wear - then the dog's teeth will instead. Like the old scratch test to determine rock hardness. Ie glass won't scratch diamond but diamond will scratch glass.

I get a bit of peace loading up a squirrel dude with kibble from the dinner ration. Until a piece of kibble rolls under a lounge chair and then there is quite a bit of noise until kibble is extracted (by me) and eaten (by dog).

I bought 3 small pieces of deer's antlers for my two BC's @ $6.00 each plus postage. They were as hard, sorry, harder than concrete. They did like playing with them & carting them around with the occasional suck/chew. Eventually one ended up under the lawnmower :(

my 4 frenchies love them, even one who won't touch bones

teeth are nice and white, they tend to chew on them after their tea everynight

I think they are great, never had any worries with bits breaking off and choking

I just toss them out once they get down to a small size

also i don't think they are messy all mine eat them inside

my 4 frenchies love them, even one who won't touch bones

teeth are nice and white, they tend to chew on them after their tea everynight

I think they are great, never had any worries with bits breaking off and choking

I just toss them out once they get down to a small size

also i don't think they are messy all mine eat them inside

I'm with Frodo's mum on this one! Asti loves hers and the vet is impressed with her dental hygiene so I'm going to order some more ;)

I bought ...deer's antlers for my two BC's .... They were as hard, sorry, harder than concrete. They did like playing with them & carting them around with the occasional suck/chew.

I found the same. My boy will have a little chew on them, but I think finds them too hard to make any headway with them and so gives up on them.

What other hooves other than cow's hooves or pig trotters can you get and give to dogs, and where can you get them from? My boy might enjoy a chew on them because they are at least chewable, yet tough. He's intolerant to beef (proven by saliva test) so I avoid anything 'cow' and he's been ill on pig's trotters before (and I'll admit they make my stomach turn when I have to handle/see them to give them to him).

I bought ...deer's antlers for my two BC's .... They were as hard, sorry, harder than concrete. They did like playing with them & carting them around with the occasional suck/chew.

I found the same. My boy will have a little chew on them, but I think finds them too hard to make any headway with them and so gives up on them.

What other hooves other than cow's hooves or pig trotters can you get and give to dogs, and where can you get them from? My boy might enjoy a chew on them because they are at least chewable, yet tough. He's intolerant to beef (proven by saliva test) so I avoid anything 'cow' and he's been ill on pig's trotters before (and I'll admit they make my stomach turn when I have to handle/see them to give them to him).

Not sure about hooves...but you can now get all the different roo products, emu & even crocodile. I guess hooves/trotters only come from beef , pork or sheep. It's a wonder someone hasn't started doing dried chicken feet. I don't think I will try the deer antlers again. For my dogs, I like the beef tendons, but not good for your dogs, Erny.

I guess hooves/trotters only come from beef , pork or sheep.

Ahhh ... :hitself: - silly me, should'a thought about sheep hooves. Although are they small enough for a large dog to eat and potentially swallow without chewing properly? I don't like the idea of it, but what about horse hooves? (Shudder .... even suggesting it makes me feel like a bit of a traitor to my own horse :().