Is It Ok To Give A Young Dog A Deer Antler?

I guess hooves/trotters only come from beef , pork or sheep.

Ahhh ... :hitself: - silly me, should'a thought about sheep hooves. Although are they small enough for a large dog to eat and potentially swallow without chewing properly? I don't like the idea of it, but what about horse hooves? (Shudder .... even suggesting it makes me feel like a bit of a traitor to my own horse :().

That did enter my mind & I guess it is only a matter of time when you look at the bits & pieces for sale as dog chews. Too many horses in my life to come to that. I don't think I could even come at bulls pissles either. I guess sheep hooves are no smaller than pigs. You can get pigs snouts now, they look smaller enough for your dogs to inhale.

I am going to give the pup a go and see what i feel. My dog just gnaws on it and no broken teeth. I know heaps of dogs who have them and never heard of an issue

The only issue I've had with them is having them dropped on my feet!

Your Mason did it the first time, then Ruby did it a second time - ouchies!!!! eek1.gif

I have friends with horses, the hoof trimmings are fun chews for dogs. Don't seem to last very long tho.

My ridgebacks used to eat them - loved them!!

RS Mason has dropped the antler on my foot too, very ouch

Oh yes - I've had it dropped on my foot too and Boo has a huge piece. Never had any mess here and he goes through phases of chewing it.

As for pig's snouts - I feed them here tp a 60kg giant breed - he chews them up so maybe not suitable for a gulper but otherwise are good.

I also use paddywack's - the beef neck tendon and just got a pork roll to try.

Erny, what about the trimmings from the horse hooves?

Good idea, although I think my horse and the other he is agisted with have regular enough farrier attendances that there isn't so much of horse hoof trimming as there are filings. If there are trimmings, there wouldn't be that much of it and small enough to swallow before much chewing was to occur. I'm not usually there at the times the farrier comes out, so I'll double check. But I would like something that would keep my dog happily pre-occupied and chewing for a while, if I could.

You could probably ask Farrier to collect some from any horses that haven't been done in a while...

What about a purple squirrel dude loaded with kibble from the dinner ration? Keeps my dog busy for a while.

She also did alright with a nylex bone - until she make the end of it spikey. You can boil them in stock (or water with stock cube) to give them flavour.