Bybers Saying They Are Registered.

loveretrievers

There seems to be a new trend on places like gumtree and the like to add your registered with the council and that means your a registered breeder. There is one ad in particular that bugs me that just says canine association of wa and the council they live in, doesn't even say they are registered with either. Is that even legal?

Edited by loveretrievers

There seems to be a new trend on places like gumtree and the like to add your registered with the council and that means your a registered breeder. There is one ad in particular that bugs me that just says canine association of wa and the council they live in, doesn't even say they are registered with either. Is that even legal?

I don't know about illegal, more misleading than anything, but it is against Gumtrees policy and yes, you can report the post and have it removed if you think it does not meet their guidelines.

They havea strict policy that non-registered breeders cannot sell a dog or pup over $500 which is why some people put 'registered' even though they are not.

How do you know they arent registered with the WACA?

I recently visited a Pets Paradise store and had a discussion with the staff about where there multitude of crossbred puppies came from. They said they def did n't come from puppy farm situations and they really didn't like people suggesting they did. They came from breeders that were registered with the RSPCA they said. My reply was that is absolute nonsense .... and this rubbish is obviously used by management to convince the young staff that all is OK and then they tell the idiots that buy from there the same crap.

I recently visited a Pets Paradise store and had a discussion with the staff about where there multitude of crossbred puppies came from. They said they def did n't come from puppy farm situations and they really didn't like people suggesting they did. They came from breeders that were registered with the RSPCA they said. My reply was that is absolute nonsense .... and this rubbish is obviously used by management to convince the young staff that all is OK and then they tell the idiots that buy from there the same crap.

Last week friends of mine were in a Pets Paradise store and they too had discussions with the staff of that store over the $1500 poodle cross puppies that were down as 'registered' puppies. My friends queried the 'registered'as they were cross breds and were told the breeders were registered breeders and the puppies 'came with papers'. So my friends said,' the breeders are registered with the State Dog body Dogs Victoria are they?' and the staff didn't know who or what Dogs Victoria was ,saying,"What's that?" ...so my friends explained. The staff then became nasty towards my friends and told them to get out...and then the male staff member lent over to one of my friends and called her and effing C as she was leaving the store. :eek:

My friends are going to put in a formal complaint

The Australian Association of Pet Dog Breeders has registered breeders and so does the MDBA and about a dozen or so other registries. Breeders in Victoria who have approval for breeding dogs are also registered by their councils.

How do you know they arent registered with the WACA?

Because I asked if the puppies were going to be registered they said no. I contacted the cawa and they said they knew about the add and it was removed that day.

It is legal - because they are registered. Registered is a term used in many contexts - it would be odd if only ANKC registred breeders could use it. If the ANKC was smart about it they would develop a new term and trademark it. Then only their members could use it. It could be a great marketing tool too.

It is legal - because they are registered. Registered is a term used in many contexts - it would be odd if only ANKC registred breeders could use it. If the ANKC was smart about it they would develop a new term and trademark it. Then only their members could use it. It could be a great marketing tool too.

This.

This.

Yep, according to the Brisbane City Council I am registered as a breeder. So....I could legitimately claim to be a registered breeder. Not much you can do about it other than not like it.

FTR - my dogs are all speyed/neutered and I have no intention of breeding when so many people do such a good job of producing exactly the type of dog that I want. If that ever changed then I might consider breeding pedigreed dogs.

If the ANKC was smart about it they would develop a new term and trademark it. Then only their members could use it. It could be a great marketing tool too.

Yes. The term 'registered' doesn't mean anything until it's clear who the registering body is. So it should be hyphenated, as in ANKC-registered breeder.

Much further along the line, I'd like to see the purebreeds, under that registration, have a marker with their breed label , too. To differentiate from the 'products' of unregistered breeders.

Gumtree needs to add a list of organizations that they recognize as being "Registered".

NUMBER 4 on their pet guidelines: Know who you are sourcing the pet from and if it is a breeder, confirm with the relevant organizations that their license is recognised.

To me that sounds like more than typical council registrations.

would have loved to have been a fly on the wall...

If only kids knew better before applying for a job at a pet shop that sells pets.

Funny you say that, i was being a sticky beak in my local pets paradise store a few weeks ago. A young couple had just bought a rottiexkelpie and the guy asked where the pup had come from. The lady flat out told him that they source many of their dogs from puppy farms. My bf forced me out of the shop before i could hear any more.