How To Stop Dog Pacing In The Show Ring

Paganman

Does anyone know how you can stop a dog pacing when its in the ring?

There are lots of tricks, mostly relating to starting off well. A 'courtesy turn' when you turn the dog around you before setting off is a common one as it's difficult for dogs to pace in a tight circle.

What breed of dog?

Edited by poodlefan

First off a trip to a doggy chiro or bowen to ensure the body isn't out of whack.

Yep many methods ,circle before moving off,bumping the dog of balance,make it exciting to move off with food,toy,gentle tug

Ensuring the speed is correct

Make sure if you walk the dog at home it also doesn't pace, i see many dogs walking around the block that pace & they often end up more muscle sore as well,also consider biking the dog to get a pace set

Also make sure you are running at the right pace for the dog - outside of the show ring I've noticed that dogs run too slowly will pace as it's more efficient but up the speed slightly and it pushes them straight into a trot. I imagine a courtesy turn refers to a tight about turn used to get a dog's attention before you take off.

An unfit dog will pace more readily than a fit dog. A dog being moved at the wrong speed will pace very easily. A dog which is built wrong will pace too.

Practice at home and on the daily walk. Working the dog on a treadmill could help - not only getting it fit but also getting it into the habit of trotting while you can watch and monitor what it's doing.

Tug on the leash, pushing the dog either into a circle or just bumping it off line and starting the dog with it's head pulled up can all help in some cases too...

Thanks for all the suggestions.I take him out every day but I got a real small yard up here and I noticed that he paces round it and I was thinking if maybe thats whats got him in the habit.In the ring hes ok when he starts off but he paces when he goes back to the judge I tried moving faster but he can pace pretty fast and the faster I go the worse he looks.

Anyway Ill put some of your suggestions into practise and see hoe he goes he didnt do it as a small pup so maybe its a growing stage or something.Thanks again :D

Go slower rather than faster - pacing is faster than trotting if the dog is used to it.

When you turn back to the judge instead of turning the dog inside you (so keeping him between you and the judge, turn him outside you and give him a gentle nudge with your calf as you just about complete the turn to put him off balance. Stopping him at this turn might also help.

Go slower rather than faster - pacing is faster than trotting if the dog is used to it.

When you turn back to the judge instead of turning the dog inside you (so keeping him between you and the judge, turn him outside you and give him a gentle nudge with your calf as you just about complete the turn to put him off balance. Stopping him at this turn might also help.

Thanks Sandra.I turn the dog on the inside coz I was told to make sure not to get between the dog and the judge but I seen a lot of handlers turning the dog on the outside.I didnt even know he was pacing till someone told me :o

Much obliged :)

Yes well - a lot of the stuff people get told relates to classes where the handler is being judged, but in the real conformation show world it's the dog being judged (we hope :laugh:) and you have less than 2 minutes to make the best of the dog, so if that means getting between the judge and the dog in an attempt to stop the judge seeing something you don't want them to see - then go for it!

You need to show the best for the dog.

If its pacing the yard then yes it sounds like a habit forming.

In the ring hes ok when he starts off but he paces when he goes back to the judge

This is when you need to break his rule of thought & be prepared with either food,toy or tug the lead.if need be bend down & tap his bum anything that breaks his train of thought & mot be so comfy in his gait

I see people every weekend running around the ring with no idea there dogs are pacing & often the judge may make a comment & ask for the handler to try again but often the dog does it again so the judges give up.

A good ring to watch is giant breeds like Newfoundlands ,you will often see there handlers bump them off balance as they run off.

The circle can be very successful PROVIDING you keep the momentum going but its often better to do the unexpected tactic & do something different.

A bored dog can also be a chronic pacer so also consider how fun you make it

Hey thx for all the tips.Theres a heap more to dog showing than I thought its no way as easy as it looks. Ill definately check out the newfs at the nest show.Thanks heaps :D

Yep... that's a pretty common sentiment or at least it is if you want to handle well.

Its a Stafford

editted to ask whats a courtesy turn

Take your dog to a chiro and get it checked out, pacing is not normal for an SBT.

If it all checks out. You can place your hand under the dogs chin and lift slightly, as you move off. You can also check the dog upwards and that will also break the gait.