Lure Coursing In Adelaide - For Non-greyhounds

jacqui835

Hi guys, there was an old thread on this topic, but it was never really resolved and it's over a year old so I think I have to make a new one.

I have a dobie cross, who today proved he can easily outrun rabbits on the flat. He can also outrun whippets and he loves to run! We do agility and obedience and he loves and excels in these, but his favourite thing in the whole world seems to be chasing things, and having heard of lure coursing, it sounds like the perfect sport for him.

Does anyone know where I could do that in Adelaide?

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday while I was at the show we checked out the dogs SA stand and they had a small pamphlet on lure coursing run by the Jack Russell club of SA :)! I haven't got the pamphlet handy but I do believe it said it was only for small dogs.. but I will post the details here when I have it because maybe if you get in touch with them they might be able to help you :)

That's a shame it's only for small dogs, I'd love to do lure coursing with my saluki. My friend, who will be getting a deerhound and I were just talking today about how great it would be if there was somewhere we could go lure coursing with our hounds. If there is anywhere suitable for larger dogs to give it a go I'd love to hear about it.

I know that the Ridgeback club sometimes does lure coursing days (straight track) for their members..obviously for Ridgies, but I did get an invite to go with my two sighthounds quite a while ago as I knew some of the members (unfortunately I couldn't make it on the day).

Apart from that, I did enquire once with the Greyhound owners, breeders and trainers association of SA about their straight track lure coursing. Apparently other breeds might be welcome, when the greys weren't racing. I didn't follow it up any further though.

If anyone finds anything, I'll be watching with great interest as I've looked for ages and haven't been able to find anything :D

Found the little pamphlet thingy in the bottom of a showbag finally Lol!

It is the Jack Russell terrier club of SA that run 'Lure racing/Fun Days' and it says that all small breed dogs are welcome. Going by the schedule on their website it looks like the next one is on the 24th of September :)http://www.jackrussellterrierclubsouthaustralia.com.au/JRTCSA%20Events%20Calendar.htm

Perhaps those of you with larger dogs could try giving them a ring and seeing if there is anything out there for you that they know of. These are the numbers listed on the website as well as on the pamphlet I got at the Royal: Telephone: (08) 8284 1792 - Mobile: 0449 752 027

Send me a txt/email Insha-llah - if you hear any more from the RR Club. I'd come down for a spot of lure racing with Moss & Rell.!!

Gazellehound - Where's your Luki from? She's gorgeous!!

Sonia

EDIT spelling!!

Thank you! She's from Baghdad Salukis, her registered name is Baghdad Cool Coquette. I imagine she would love lure coursing if an opportunity came up!

Send me a txt/email Insha-llah - if you hear any more from the RR Club. I'd come down for a spot of lure racing with Moss & Rell.!!

Gazellehound - Where's your Luki from? She's gorgeous!!

Sonia

EDIT spelling!!

Will do ;) could be an excuse for a Saluki get together! :laugh:

Most Deerhounds LOVE lure-coursing, this is a pic of one of ours chasing the Lure....a plastic bag.

His ears do not usually stick up like that.... honestly......

more from that day here. :)

If you cant find anywhere to course your hounds perhaps you could form a club, or at least get a group of interested people together, buy yourself a drag lure, or if someone is clever enough, make one, and organise your own days. Your dogs will love you for it.

I would also be very interested to find out about Lure Coursing in SA, funnily enough I only posted in the IW Club of SA fb page just recently asking about this! :laugh: I wonder if there would be enough people then to get one up & running?? Although I have no idea how it's done & you'd need some land also. My 2 Staggies aren't trained but do love to chase bunnies etc. & generally listen & I would love for them to have some more fun! :D

Most Deerhounds LOVE lure-coursing, this is a pic of one of ours chasing the Lure....a plastic bag.

If you cant find anywhere to course your hounds perhaps you could form a club, or at least get a group of interested people together, buy yourself a drag lure, or if someone is clever enough, make one, and organise your own days. Your dogs will love you for it.

I'm certainly in :)

:love::love::love:

I'm certainly in :)

X2

there you are! lovemymutts and jacqui835 you two need to get together and start the ball rolling.

I think the first step is to make a list of all the existing lure courses in Adelaide, because I think we should confirm that we can't use any of those before we try and make a new one.

Also if we can have a list of everyone who would be interested - perhaps state your name and the breed of your dog/s.

Jacqui: doberman cross