Lure Coursing In Adelaide - For Non-greyhounds

jacqui835

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ness - I tried with Piper once, only it was not the straight track one. She loved it but she worked out after a couple of runs to cut across the track and wait for the lure, lol. Straight track would probably be better for a smart arse BC.

Rosie and I will be there :)

ETA - can we get an address please :)

KHM this was posted on the other page

Sunday, 8:30am to the State Shooting Park, on Park Rd in Virginia, SA.

Not sure if I'll make it. That's a long way to drive :laugh: I'm used to doing long trips for dog things though. I'll have a think and let you know

Do we now how much it will cost per run?

We won't be able to make it on Sunday, but really look forward to pics and reports from the day!! and definitely will be there next time round :thumbsup:

Well done Jacqui835 for organising :thumbsup:

Rosie and I will be there :)

ETA - can we get an address please :)

KHM this was posted on the other page

Sunday, 8:30am to the State Shooting Park, on Park Rd in Virginia, SA.

Not sure if I'll make it. That's a long way to drive :laugh: I'm used to doing long trips for dog things though. I'll have a think and let you know

Thanks ETH. Luckily not too far from us

Is that THIS SUNDAY 25th Sept?

I'm in...

My dogs have never been muzzled, and I think they may need to run either individually or the two together - certainly with other dogs may not be wise, esp. the first time out. They have never lure course before, but plenty of free coursing rabbits etc.

I'm EXCITED!!!

Sonia

Hey guys, the full name of the park is South Australian Handgun Metallic Silhouette & Shooting Club/State Shooting Range, Park Road, Virginia.

I did offer to pay, but she never mentioned anything about money. I will call again either tomorrow (if I have time at work) or Saturday and I will confirm if there is going to be a price - Judi is really lovely to talk to :)

So excited, I feel like my dog's dream would be to be in an environment where he felt like he could just chase rabbits and this is about as close as I think we can get...

Well done! :thumbsup: I wouldn't worry about muzzles for now. You will possibly be running your dogs alone anyway. Muzzles are just to stop them biting each other if they get a bit too intense and excited.

You need to see how you go there and formulate some questions for her,( take a pen and paper with some questions jotted down) such as could you use the facilities on a regular basis, have a number of days in mind. When we were starting we initially said 10 days per year but found that was too much and have dropped it back to 5 because it's just too hard to get people to commit to help run the days.

It means that the lure driver will have to be available on those days too and you will probably have to pay him.

Tell her you are thinking about starting a club, (you are aren't you?) and could you use their facilities as your base?

Ask about insurance too, whether theirs will cover you, it propbably will for a one off but if you become a club they might want you to get your own.

Stress to everyone to not let their dogs run free, and take poo bags and tell all your attendees to pick up after their dogs. We always have free poo bags to hand out , in case people forget their own, there's no excuse.

Try to very safety concsious.

I went through all this when I formed our little social club. You are welcome to PM me if you want. I feel very excited for you. :D Oh, and you must must must take a camera and post piccies back here.

Edited by Kirislin

I just had a google search, and found the homepage of the club who runs the track there....if you look at the "racing" page, I found videos of some of the races - which show the track, the lure and what it will be like (I guess :D )....looks pretty exciting!

Greyhound owners, trainers and breeders association of SA

edited to add: I would imagine you could start the lure from further in, so smaller dogs and newies wouldn't have to overexert themselves (and risk injuries etc) to start off with :)

Edited by InSha-llah

Insha-llah - so sorry you won't be joining us... can you not take the day off!!??

:laugh:

Sorry Hafhafa, I would reeeeeaaaly love to :( but OH has planned housey/gardeny stuff for us to take advantage of the spring weather :laugh: and yes I've tried to do the persuasion thing a number of times :laugh:

But I am dead keen to go next time round!

Have a fab fab time, and lots of piccies please! :D

Are you bringing earl??

I will bring him along but don't think the lure coursing would be his thing - although he would look pretty funny doing it :)

I'd love to bring Pele one day. Not sure if she would chase it, but her and Earl could look funny together :laugh:

We've got a Mock Agility trial tomorrow, then busy with obedience trials and shows over the next few weeks, so don't want to risk injuries. Can't wait to hear how it goes :)