Basic Costs Of Flying A Dog

Fynesse

lab pup I believe, 8-10 weeks old.

we recently had our then 8 week old lab puppy flown in a PP40 from Melbourne to Adelaide with JetPets using Virgin Blue (breeders choice of removalist & flights). We purchased the crate (as opposed to hiring) from JP and we paid $190 all up. The cost flying with a rented crate was $130 and we were charged an extra $60 to purchase the crate. I know our journey route isn't the same as yours but i hope it gives you some idea of the cost you may outlay. cheers. :)

Edited by suziwong66

They both sound reasonable quotes. I asked for a quote from both Dogtainer (sp) and Jetpets for a dog to go from NSW to VIC,and we were quoted aprox $500 by one and $800 from the other company. I was staggered at this cost. It was going from Orange Airport which is a small rural airport to Tullamarine. All crates etc were to be supplied by the carrier and we were just going to pick up dog from Tullamarine. The timing wasnt right and we didnt go ahead with the dog but the cost of this put us off looking at interstate purchases. Maybe when we are ready we can again look at this but can only think that due to the small airport is why the cost was so high?

On a couple of welfare sites I have seen the request for business people to advise that they are willing to allow a rescue dog be transported as their own to save costs if they can arrange for the animal to be on the same flight. Can anyone confirm that this is correct as surely it would be a great help. Many thanks.

They both sound reasonable quotes. I asked for a quote from both Dogtainer (sp) and Jetpets for a dog to go from NSW to VIC,and we were quoted aprox $500 by one and $800 from the other company. I was staggered at this cost. It was going from Orange Airport which is a small rural airport to Tullamarine. All crates etc were to be supplied by the carrier and we were just going to pick up dog from Tullamarine. The timing wasnt right and we didnt go ahead with the dog but the cost of this put us off looking at interstate purchases. Maybe when we are ready we can again look at this but can only think that due to the small airport is why the cost was so high?

On a couple of welfare sites I have seen the request for business people to advise that they are willing to allow a rescue dog be transported as their own to save costs if they can arrange for the animal to be on the same flight. Can anyone confirm that this is correct as surely it would be a great help. Many thanks.

from memory I think this option is only available at some airports as some, Adelaide being one, does not allow dogs within the terminal which happens when they are classed as baggage. i think, some time back, we considered doing this with Wilbur as my OH was travelling back from Melb on the same day, but we had to shelve the idea due to the terminal/live animal restrictions at Adel. Airport. If you did online quotes, i would suggest that you speak to someone from Dogtainers/JetPets directly etc. We did an online quote with JP and it was in excess of $500 from memory and i remember being horrified at the cost. The actual cost that we paid was more than half of what the online quote suggested.

I'm another who had great service and an excellent price with Wayrod. The business name is mooreholme park boarding kennel. They are in Melbourne but flights do not have to be in or out of Melbourne for him to help. I flew a pup Adelaode to Sydney and he arranged everything, including freight of a brand new crate to be waiting at Adelaide for me when I arrived with the pup.

Thanks heaps for this advice. It would have prob swayed our decision earlier on but at least we now have another option if we see a suitable 'rescue' etc interstate. Glad to see that I wasnt the only one also given a ridiculous quote online, maybe a glitch in their system.I had heard great feedback from both companies so I thought it was only the 'well heeled' that flew their pets around. I just wanted to give a home to one which was too far away for us to drive to collect. Now we can broaden our looking a bit more.

Many thanks....

Dogtainers, Canberra franchise, have always given me great deals for rescues. You don't have to be flying in or out of Canberra to use them, they will book transport to & from any destination. I always make initial contact by phone & follow up via e-mail to confirm the quote.

Hmn... :confused: I've flown dogs and cats in and out of Adelaide airport for years - both accompanied an unaccompanied - the only difference is that you drop off and pick up at the freight terminals eg Australian Air Express or Virgin Blue freight not the passenger arrivals and departures - never been a problem... and in fact it seems to stress them far less than a busy passenger terminal...

from memory I think this option is only available at some airports as some, Adelaide being one, does not allow dogs within the terminal which happens when they are classed as baggage. i think, some time back, we considered doing this with Wilbur as my OH was travelling back from Melb on the same day, but we had to shelve the idea due to the terminal/live animal restrictions at Adel. Airport. If you did online quotes, i would suggest that you speak to someone from Dogtainers/JetPets directly etc. We did an online quote with JP and it was in excess of $500 from memory and i remember being horrified at the cost. The actual cost that we paid was more than half of what the online quote suggested.