Lab X Poodle. Anyone?

shells

I honestly if people new the truth they wouldnt buy them. Of course there will be a few people who dont give a damn but I would consider a large amount of DD owners just uneducated about these dogs

Edited by shells

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not promoting DD, not arguing that a DD has anything over a pure bred dog, just stating what I have come to know as a fact. People like DD, so why wouldn't major brands cash in on that. Puppy Farms are sad, and the government should put a stop to it. But people are buying these dogs because they know no better. If a DD is what they want, and if a registered breeder can't give them that, where do you think they are going to go????? A pet shop and we all know where most of these dogs come from. It's sad, we don't like it, but sadely it's reality. I personally don't support it BYB or Puppy Farms or Pet Shops. I've stopped living in fantasy land, people want these dogs, most of us don't support it, but again it's just what has become.

So what...if you cant beat em...join em?

Sorry but no, that won't help a bit, the best we can do is keep educating people on the pro's of purebred, and the cons of DD

Melachuja- The problem I have is the breeding practices used to create all these dogs. Have you ever been to the Oscars Law or wheredopuppiescomefrom.com.au websites?

Absolutely, I'm just as passionate about Ocsars Law as the next, like I said I don't support the actions of these people or anything about what they do. I personally think it's disgusting, and I would never support a puppy farm, in anyway.

But the initial post was about Big Brands cashing in on todays trend of DD. People like DD, I like DD, most of them are adorable. But I would never buy from a Pet Shop or Puppy Farm, only from a person that I know has put in as much work as the next breeder to make sure they produce quality healthy puppies. But it's unfortunate that most people don't realise this. And don't realise what their supporting by buying their DD from a pet store. That's what I believe we need to fix.

Melachuja- The problem I have is the breeding practices used to create all these dogs. Have you ever been to the Oscars Law or wheredopuppiescomefrom.com.au websites?

Absolutely, I'm just as passionate about Ocsars Law as the next, like I said I don't support the actions of these people or anything about what they do. I personally think it's disgusting, and I would never support a puppy farm, in anyway.

But the initial post was about Big Brands cashing in on todays trend of DD. People like DD, I like DD, most of them are adorable. But I would never buy from a Pet Shop or Puppy Farm, only from a person that I know has put in as much work as the next breeder to make sure they produce quality healthy puppies. But it's unfortunate that most people don't realise this. And don't realise what their supporting by buying their DD from a pet store. That's what I believe we need to fix.

DD breeding is a genetic dead end for any purebred dog involved. Sorry, but I won't support something contributing to the decline of breeds I love.

DD breeding is a genetic dead end for any purebred dog involved. Sorry, but I won't support something contributing to the decline of breeds I love.

This ^^

Just my 2cents....but I personally [hate the expression "designer dog". Unfortunately i think some people want the dog because of the stupid made up breed names that they get given!!!!!.....

What happened to the good old days of cross breed small, cross breed med & cross breed large.

I have just spent a small fortune completing the required testing for genetic problems on my male Std Poodle.....

Show me someone intentionally breeding mutts/crossbreeds doing the same.

Edited by Poodle Mum

I don't think all labradoodles are ugly. I have seen some really nice ones. There us a really nice one training at my dog club presently. I was quite impressed with him.

I know it is not encouraged on this website, but I would like to see them progress to the point where they could ultimately become a recognized breed. I also think that would help to improve the general standard of breeding. As was said earlier, so many of them are still just straight crossbreeds and because of that there is way too much variation.

I do think there are some very nice purebreeds that could fill this space for people eg the lagotto or PWD. But they are not easy to get presently are they?

I don't think all labradoodles are ugly. I have seen some really nice ones. There us a really nice one training at my dog club presently. I was quite impressed with him.

I know it is not encouraged on this website, but I would like to see them progress to the point where they could ultimately become a recognized breed. I also think that would help to improve the general standard of breeding. As was said earlier, so many of them are still just straight crossbreeds and because of that there is way too much variation.

I do think there are some very nice purebreeds that could fill this space for people eg the lagotto or PWD. But they are not easy to get presently are they?

What's wrong with the Labrador and the Standard Poodle?

Oh, I know. Lab pups arent' fluffy and .SPs got "poodle" in its name. ;)

Makes me wonder how many large oodle buyers have ever heard of the Curly Coated Retriever.

Edited by poodlefan

I could not share a home with a Labrador, but personally I love Standard Poodles.

But my major concern in the end is well bred animals from healthy, tested parents and not puppy farms. Whether the two parents are of the same breed is secondary to animal welfare concerns in my opinion.

It's the neglect and cruelty that really upsets me. And that can happen when both parent dogs are the same breed. There are plenty of pure bred poodles (and bichons and other breeds) being spat out of puppy farms. Just look at the Trading Post. They are everywhere.

And that turns my stomach. That is where my anger is directed. Lab x poodle breeders who treat their animals well, test parents etc? I have no beef with that to be honest. Not my preference, but I see it as a personal choice issue rather than a question of right and wrong.

Guest Panzer Attack!

Would it be worth making a sticky post in general about the different oodles? eg

Interested in a Labrador x Poodle (commonly nicknamed "Labradoodle")? Try -

- Standard Poodle

- Curly Coated Retriever

- Portuguese Water Dog

Interested in a Cocker Spaniel x Poodle (commonly refered to as "Spoodle")? Try -

- Standard Poodle

- Miniature Poodle

- Lagotto

- Bedlington

etc, complete with a link to the DOL breed profile of each.

I'm sure The DOL Mind could come up with alternatives and then point anyone interested in the direction of the thread. Just an idea. :)

E x (bit off topic, sorry :o)

I appreciate you love your Purebred dogs, I like them as well. But do you really need to put down the cross breds?

Well - this IS a purebred dog forum - perhaps you should go elsewhere if you don't like people objecting to crossbred so-called "Designer Dogs"

I honestly if people new the truth they wouldnt buy them. Of course there will be a few people who dont give a damn but I would consider a large amount of DD owners just uneducated about these dogs

:shrug: I disagree. Every owner of a DD I have asked has given me a reasonably considered answer as to why they chose one. They did not impulse buy. Most did not come from pet shops. Temperament considerations are invariably high on the agenda. I know someone with a pair of Labrador/Cocker Spaniel crosses, both from the same breeder. They liked the first one so much they decided to get another. Both have the most beautiful temperaments, never cause any trouble at the dog park. Just really nice dogs. Another dog park regular has a gorgeous young Lab/Poodle cross that is all wriggly cuteness and plays very well with my two and is lovely with people and very responsive. Owner flew the dog in from a breeder in QLD. I understood that this breeder was selected over local breeders for some particular reason.

Would it be worth making a sticky post in general about the different oodles? eg

Interested in a Labrador x Poodle (commonly nicknamed "Labradoodle")? Try -

- Standard Poodle

- Curly Coated Retriever

- Portuguese Water Dog

Interested in a Cocker Spaniel x Poodle (commonly refered to as "Spoodle")? Try -

- Standard Poodle

- Miniature Poodle

- Lagotto

- Bedlington

etc, complete with a link to the DOL breed profile of each.

I'm sure The DOL Mind could come up with alternatives and then point anyone interested in the direction of the thread. Just an idea. :)

E x (bit off topic, sorry :o)

This is a good idea. I came across DOL when I was researching spoodles on the internet, thinking of getting a puppy most likely from gumtree or similar. After reading a lot of threads on DOL I decided against the spoodle, and we get our purebred english cocker spaniel pup next weekend :thumbsup:

It would be a great idea to have one place to see all the info if you come across DOL like I did because it took a fair bit of reading for me to have my mind changed...

Could also put the links to the various purebred dog 101s in there too - it was someone's comment along the lines of 'If you like a spoodle surely you like either a cocker spaniel or a poodle' which was the start for me, so if there was a way to then go and research the purebred dogs from the same place I think it would work really well. Also maybe the link to the breeder listings too.

Just last week I was talking to an older couple who had 2 young dogs, both around 9 months of age. First one was a spaniel x poodle, they liked the "breeder" they got him from so much they got a "pure" Cocker. I was very gentle and asked about papers and health testing. Well they had a lot of paperwork at home but nothing seemed to match the papers I described to them. They are already having health problems with them. I suggested they hop on the internet and look up the breed clubs and find out what dieseases their lovely dogs might be hiding from them. They proudly stated there was a 12 month health guarantee on the dogs, I pointed out that wasn't much help if the dogs went blind at 5 or 6. I said go back to the vet and get some DNA tests done after they had done some research.

Problem was these people thought they had researched. They had never owned a dog before and just wanted a couple of nice, healthy companions. They got suckered in by a very professional looking web site. Luckily money won't be a problem for these dogs.

Guest Black Obsession

Exactly. The breeding of DD's is undermining to everything that pure breeds stand for.

Leave our Labs alone :mad

How were the pure breeds initially developed?

With a job in mind, not just to make money

And that is why I like purebreds.

A history of a purpose reflected in the look they share with each and every member of the breed. Combine that with predictable traits and I just don't see the need for a crossbreed of dubious origins who may or may not turn out as you hope.

Until these crossbreeders aim for a predictable result that includes health testing they won't get a word of support from me.

And that is why I like purebreds.

A history of a purpose reflected in the look they share with each and every member of the breed. Combine that with predictable traits and I just don't see the need for a crossbreed of dubious origins who may or may not turn out as you hope.

Until these crossbreeders aim for a predictable result that includes health testing they won't get a word of support from me.

I am sitting here with a supposedly purebred dog from a registered breeder that looks vaguely like the breed he is meant to be, acts like it sometimes, and is riddled with health problems that can not be tested for. You can get burnt no matter where you get a dog from and even if it is purebred and even if you do some research.

There are some DD breeders who are driving towards predictable results and health testing. There are some purebred breeders who are not. I don't think it's fair to pick on one as if the other doesn't have the same problems. Most purebreds have been around a lot longer than whatever DD of choice we are talking about. I am sure that some breeders of DDs believe they are developing a new breed for whatever reason. That's their prerogative. Good luck to them.