Warning Bull Breed Owners

Nekhbet

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear ******

In response to your email I advise that the following breed of dogs are deemed restricted breed in Victoria:

American Pitbull Terrier or Pitbull Terrier

American Pitbull or Pitbull Terrier cross

Dogo Argentino

Fila Brasileiro

Japanese Tosa

Perro de Presa Cario or Presa Canario

American Staffordshire Terriers or Staffordshire Bull Terriers are not restricted breed dogs, however if an authorised officer has doubts about the breed of any American Staffordshire or American Staffordshire Cross dog in line with guidelines for the appearance and characteristics of a pitbull as outlined in the Domestic Animals Act the owner of that dog will be required to provide proof of the breed by producing one of the following:

a pedigree certificate from the Australian National Kennel Council;

a pedigree certificate from a member body of the Australian National Kennel Council;

a pedigree certificate from a national breed council registered with the Australian Kennel Council; or

a certificate signed by a veterinary practitioner stating, or to the effect, that the dog is of a particular breed.

If you require any further information about the new legislation please follow the following links:

www.dpi.vic.gov.au/animalwelfare - department of primary industries

www.legislation.vic.gov.au - click on 'law today' then select Acts beginning with 'D' this will take you to the Domestic Animals Act

www.gazette.vic.gov.au/ - this link will take you to the Government Gazette which publicised the new legislation on 1 September 2011.

I hope this information assists in answering your query.

regards

Jeanette

Jeanette Guinane

[email protected]

This is correct in terms of the legislation as it currently stands.

The VCA also are working on this, but its mostly behind the scenes - so please don't assume that nothing is being done. However, people need to understand that with the change of government, all the VCA's previous work has essentially become null and void and they must establish new working relationships - thats just the way politics works. However, the legislation does exempt dogs with VCA/ANKC recognised pedigrees - this was due to lobbying efforts on part of the VCA. However, the outcome is not perfect, and more work is required to educate both the public and government about the futility of BSL.

Am I one to compulsively wind up over nothing Greytmate? No.

This is a letter send to an AmStaff owner in Werribee. Looks like they're going through council records to see who has what too.

As for Geelong, they are complying to CURRENT law. My friend (who is an extremely trustworthy source and I know personally, not just a passing acquaintance) wrote notes of time and who she spoke to. The wording was they are waiting for the laws to include AmStaffs and SBTs, not that they are right at this moment.

Either a hideous miscommunication from an uneducated staff member in the Animal Control department or the staff member accidentally let slip. But from the looks of Wyndham council they're targeting outside their parameters anyway.

This is a letter send to an AmStaff owner in Werribee. Looks like they're going through council records to see who has what too.

As for Geelong, they are complying to CURRENT law. My friend (who is an extremely trustworthy source and I know personally, not just a passing acquaintance) wrote notes of time and who she spoke to. The wording was they are waiting for the laws to include AmStaffs and SBTs, not that they are right at this moment.

Either a hideous miscommunication from an uneducated staff member in the Animal Control department or the staff member accidentally let slip. But from the looks of Wyndham council they're targeting outside their parameters anyway.

I had a look at the letter, its just bloody disgusting!! Do you think your friend would mind if i cross posted that on fb??

So basically Am Staff's and SBT's will become restricted in Vic and there is nothing anyone can do abt it??

F*&k!

I have confirmation that the AmStaff club has also been contacted about this and they are seeking clarification IN WRITING from government departments about pedigrees not being included as well as with the ANKC. They have been told no but councils seem to be doing what they like in relation to public information.

http://www.facebook....6&type=1&ref=nf

Did your friend register the dog as an American Staffordshire Bull Terrier, as stated in the letter? Because there is no such breed. Amstaff owners hopefully have papers to prove they have an American Staffordshire Terrier.

If your friend did not register her dog with the "bull' in the breed name, she needs to contact Craig Murray immediately and advise him that the letter is incorrect, CC a copy to CEO, councillor and Dogs Victoria, and have her dog's papers ready as proof.

But if she did register her dog as an American Staffordshire Bull Terrier, she should probably go to the meeting.

Cross posted from my response to this in the BSL Forum

The American Staffordshire Terrier club of Vic has already spoken to Wyndham council about this, and they have already issued letters to say they effed up because ANKC Registered Amstaffs are most absolutely NOT included in this new legislation. We have also made flyers to hand out in the area to residents, explaining the COUNCILS ballsup, in case they dont actually come through on their promise to send out amendment letters.

Please, people need to get the facts before freaking out. The ASTCV is working tirelessly on this and has been for a long time, the DPI contact us directly with any updates, or info so if you would like to keep abreast of the situation, including any updates/facts, or have any concerns then you can join our FB page.

I am on the Committee of the ASTCV, and (I think) the only committee member active on this forum so if you need info quickly, please PM me.

Edited by Ruffles

However amstaffs without papers (the majority) will be considered pit bulls unless they have vet certification that they're not. Sonin a round about way they are being restricted. The wyndam letter complies fully with the new legislation.

Edited by megan_

The American Staffordshire Terrier club of Vic has already spoken to Wyndham council about this, and they have already issued letters to say they effed up because ANKC Registered Amstaffs are most absolutely NOT included in this new legislation.

Pretty big eff up, Ruffles. Good on the amstaff club for jumping straight on it.

Cross posted from my response to this in the BSL Forum

The American Staffordshire Terrier club of Vic has already spoken to Wyndham council about this, and they have already issued letters to say they effed up because ANKC Registered Amstaffs are most absolutely NOT included in this new legislation. We have also made flyers to hand out in the area to residents, explaining the COUNCILS ballsup, in case they dont actually come through on their promise to send out amendment letters.

Please, people need to get the facts before freaking out. The ASTCV is working tirelessly on this and has been for a long time, the DPI contact us directly with any updates, or info so if you would like to keep abreast of the situation, including any updates/facts, or have any concerns then you can join our FB page.

I am on the Committee of the ASTCV, and (I think) the only committee member active on this forum so if you need info quickly, please PM me.

I hate to say this since I am vehemently against the legislation but there is an obvious logic flaw against the exemption of pedigreed Amstaffs or SBT's for that matter if you understand the intent of BSL and the Victorian legislation.

BSL is based on the premise that breed and appearance is a predictor of behaviour.

The legislation clearly states that what they are seeking to ban is a pitbull type (not a breed) and the visual standard that they have provided would cover both Amstaffs and SBT's unless they were petite ones (given the weight range). I think this has already been poined out by RSG.

The information also clearly states that DNA testing will not be taken into account by rangers, therefore why should a pedigree (which is another form of proof of breed) give you exemption?

I understand the the the ASTCV have worked hard for an exemption to this and at the moment are indeed exempt. But how long before this gets challenged legally? Wasn't there already a muddying of the waters after the Tango case in QLD?

I don't think a pedigree certificate protects dogs against BSL in France, Ireland, USA. I know for a fact pedigree SBTs are deemed guard dogs (laughable I know) in France and are to be muzzled in public etc, etc.

On another note, even if I had a pedigree bull breed I would still want to assist those who might not have one, still are responsible owners and dearly love their dogs. To me this is a dog problem and goes to wider restriction of dog owners rights.

:eek:http://www.seek.com.au/Job/animal-management-officer/in/launceston-north-east-launceston-north-east/20660244

I just found this job on seek.com being advertised in Tasmania........Something big is going on by the sounds of it. :eek:

Animal Management Officer

Long Term Contract

Excellent Hourly Rate Plus Super

Melbourne Based Role

A number of Melbourne’s Councils are seeking extra assistance and require experienced officers in a number of contract roles.

Commencing early October, our clients are ideally seeking industry experienced officers with animal handling experience including dog attacks, large dog control, infringement experience as well as enforcing and educating under Domestic Animals Act or relevant State Act.

If you are seeking a change of location, and wish to earn well above the industry rate as and commence within one month - Call today

INTERSTATE APPLICANTS are encouraged to apply, as accommodation costs may be considered as a part of your relocation to Melbourne.

Experience as an ANIMAL MANAGEMENT OFFICER is essential for you to be considered for this role.

ETA this one too

http://www.seek.com.au/Job/animal-management-officer/in/melbourne-bayside-south-eastern-suburbs/20618174

Expert Animal Management Officer

CALLING ALL INTERSTATE APPLICANTS

GREAT HOURLY RATE PLUS SUPERANNUATION

ONGOING CONTRACT FOR THE RIGHT CANDIDATE

A Large and diverse Council is seeking an experienced Animal Management Officer for a short term contract role.

An Animal Management Officer with experience working for a Council is essential. This role will require animal management and safety skills, with knowledge in animal handling, capturing, handling dog attacks and thorough investigations is necessary.

This exciting opportunity to make a difference in a well respected and large Council will require a passionate animal expert with view to fulfilling the contract, which may lead to a an ongoing role for the successful applicant.

An immediate commencement for this contract is available. Paying above the industry rate, for every hour you work plus superannuation.

CALLING ALL INTERSTATE APPLICANTS

Good golly gosh what the hell is brewing over there. These adds are everywhere being advertised across the country, there are heaps of them with different recruitment agencies but all calling to fill multiple temporary positions :mad

http://www.seek.com.au/Job/local-laws-officer-animal-management-officer-parking-officer-environmental-healt/in/sydney-southern-suburbs-sutherland-shire/20523641

Local Laws Officer

Calling all Interstate Local Law Officers

RELOCATE TO MELBOURNE FOR SHORT TERM AND LONG TERM COTNRACTS

CALLING ALL INTERSTATE OFFICERS

EXCELLENT HOURLY RATES

The busy season is yet to commence here for Melbourne’s Local councils, and we require the assistance of Local Law industry experts.

If you are currently working or have worked in Local Government as a Local Laws Officer, Parking Officer, Animal Management Officer, or Environmental Health Officer – call today.

Melbourne is one of the Nation’s fastest growing municipal areas – and needs industry experts to assist in the regulation and safety within its communities.

Edited by nattiej1976

jesus. Thanks, Kelpiesmum.

That poor girl not getting any assistance from the vets.

eta is anyone here going to that meeting? You should all get your heads together (might be best if it's off the public forum) and come up with a plan. Goodluck with it.

Nice of council to hold it just days before the end of the amnesty, isnt it.

I am going to go to the meeting if possible. There has been another letter issued after the original one, and it explains further about what is going on. The new letter states how a person can get a vet certificate as to breed. The new letter also said to disregard the first letter. I will try to attack a link to the second letter.

second letter

I don't know, but it seems to me the meeting is to explain things more fully to residents. Will have to wait and see I suppose.

:eek:http://www.seek.com.au/Job/animal-management-officer/in/launceston-north-east-launceston-north-east/20660244

I just found this job on seek.com being advertised in Tasmania........Something big is going on by the sounds of it. :eek:

? This is part of the legislation. The State Government has promised certain councils extra resources to do the inspections (is this dog a pitbull or not) and the door knocking to find unregistered dogs. It isn't a consipracy - they have been very transparent about it.

eta is anyone here going to that meeting? You should all get your heads together (might be best if it's off the public forum) and come up with a plan. Goodluck with it.

I am going to go to the meeting if possible. There has been another letter issued after the original one, and it explains further about what is going on. The new letter states how a person can get a vet certificate as to breed. The new letter also said to disregard the first letter. I will try to attack a link to the second letter.

second letter

I don't know, but it seems to me the meeting is to explain things more fully to residents. Will have to wait and see I suppose.

Can you make that public access, I don't have a fb account to log in with.

So basically you can argue until you are blue in the face your Am Staff is just that but if you do not have rego papers or a vets letter they are automatically a Pitbull. From what I can tell vets are going to be VERY reluctant to sign a letter to say the dog is not a pitbull when really who can tell for certain just by looking. If you do not regsiter them as a Pitbull - and why would you as they are not- If a ranger comes along and tells you they are a P Bull and they win if it is contested, the dog is euthanased because after Sept 30 there will be no more dogs allowed onto the restricted dog register.

I am sure those who have rescued or un-registered Am Staff's ( and other dogs that look remotely like a PIt Bull or Am Staff) are absolutely beside themselves. I would be.

Edited by OSoSwift

second letter

Can you make that public access, I don't have a fb account to log in with.

Will try, I hope this works.

322720_10150308016323985_572728984_7949778_2014606112_o.jpg

ETA Sorry it is so big, I am not good at this stuff. :(

Edited by sumosmum

Sorry Henny Penny but Melbourne Council's have been advertising for ACO's - short-term -regularly for well over a year now, possibly longer.

Edited by Silvawilow

The 22 point checklist Qld by D.P. and Seqroc was plagiarised copied from the UKC Standards.

This was proven in the several court cases thats it illegal to use the UKC breed standards as they own

the copy right.. The Victorian Gov has used the same UKC breed standard that in its self

is criminal..

Wasn't there already a muddying of the waters after the Tango case in QLD?

Nope!! Tango family were the one that got the laws changed..

Tybrax what I was trying to argue was that Amstaff/APBT and possibly even SBT would all be classed as 'pit bull type' (as they are in states) under the visual standard published in the Vic gazette. The Vic law is contradictory as it states that breed is not important but then goes on to say Amstaffs with a pedigree are exempt (which is a breed). Hope that explains what I was trying to say. I mentioned Tango as I seem to remember there was a lot of discussion as to whether an ABT was an Amstaff and vice versa.

As I said before I think we all need to fight this, not just say "I have a pedigree dog so I am okay". I am pretty sure that Joe public can't tell the difference. Pedigrees didn't stop the extension of breed bans in other countries, irrespective of what agreements might have been brokered with breed clubs and the govt atm.

For that matter pedigree didn't stop APBT's being banned here did it?

ETA: not trying to be alarmist or promoting conspiracy theories, but history has not protected pedigree dogs from BSL worldwide.

Edited by Quickasyoucan