Attention Gsd, Rotties And Dobe Owners

german_shep_fan

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

this insanity is just getting worse and worse!

IT will be bloody Whippets next because they like to chase things!

I agree this is getting insane....it's scary to think we could lose so many beautiful breeds. :(

I keep thinking that atleast my breed is probably safe, but who knows what will happen, & I can't get too comfortable....my breed also chases things.

I keep seeing a future with no dogs at all with the way things are going. :cry:

Edited by Baileys mum

Has the VCA or ANKC made any comment on the topic of further bans......or is it all just rumour

I have been told that the AVA have sent out a 5 page letter to all vets stating that they do not support BSL and giving them instruction on how to handle to situation. A good friend of mine has physically seen this letter. He is going to try to obtain a copy.

People need to get their well mannered friendly breeds out in to the community and change public perception. Showing is great, but behind closed doors. The person on the end of the lead is just as important, smile, chat, talk. Get your clubs to start going to more expos, have stalls at community markets. Our club does a monthly community style event, love seeing the smiles from the public and the friendly chit chat when 20 + Whities are cooperating in a public space. Was nice seeing some GSD's walking in the Moomba Parade this year. What about organising some community walks to promote these so called dangerous breeds and get your local community behind you. Profits could go to the local rescue group or Guide dogs or something?

It seems hysteria isn't just limited to the media :) .

I agree that these things could happen, but before everyone gets in a tizz some facts would be nice. Who is this mystical person with all these facts? Why haven't they gone on the record to the media? Maybe they're just someone who likes the attention?

I agree that people need to get there well behaved dogs out in public. We need to step off foot paths and put our dogs in sit as people pass (they really appreciate this). We need to be understanding when someone crosses the road to avoid walking near dogs (after all, they don't know whether you're responsible or not. Oh, and refrain from saying things like "my dog would sort yours out" (which has been said to me a few times by large dog owners at DogsVic events).

Just had a love German Shepard dog share an ice-cream with his owner outside the shop, then he had a snooze under the table and no one cared which was great we need people to do more of this with there dogs so people see how lovely they are and they can not over react if a dog is just sitting being quite

Edited by Atanquin

We need to step off foot paths and put our dogs in sit as people pass (they really appreciate this).

This is a nice idea, but totally impractical the inner city where I live. We pass so many people on our walks that we would never get anywhere if we had to stop everytime. Not to mention the fact that there is no place that is off the pavement. Theoretically if your dog is heeling on your left hand side, you should be between your dog and any passersby anyway. As long as people are walking on the correct side of the pavement that is. ( But that's another grumble. )

We need to step off foot paths and put our dogs in sit as people pass (they really appreciate this).

This is a nice idea, but totally impractical the inner city where I live. We pass so many people on our walks that we would never get anywhere if we had to stop everytime. Not to mention the fact that there is no place that is off the pavement. Theoretically if your dog is heeling on your left hand side, you should be between your dog and any passersby anyway. As long as people are walking on the correct side of the pavement that is. ( But that's another grumble. )

I agree that it is impractical (not having a go) but i also just think that dog owners shouldn't have to do that unless the dog is jumping around and misbehaving. When you are walking in a public area it is a PUBLIC area and dog owners have just as much right to walk on the paths as non dog owners. My dog usually moves off the path to avoid walking closely to ppl anyway. If ppl don't like my breed of dog then as far as i am concerned that is their own problem as he walks well and never causes any trouble. As long as he is well behaved and does what i tell him i think it is unreasonable to expect us to have to wait till the public go by.

Come on guys.

I don't know about you lot, but with the breeds in questions in this thread, most people cross the road well in advance when they see us approach.......

But whatever, let em list whatever breeds they want as dangerous.

Victoria: The place to be VILIFIED AND DEPRESSED.

Haha yep if they don't cross the road you just get the standard death glare. If i had a dollar for everytime i got given the mummy with her darlings deathglare i would srsly be a millionaire!

I'm thinking of getting together with a friend, a local owner of a very ethical pet shop who focuses solely on re-homing rescue.... We are good friends with the local papers here.. I believe a story Reminding Joe Public that it is in fact the LAW to keep dogs on leashes at all times except in designated off-lead parks and that it is the LAW that their dogs be safely contained at all times not permitted to get out and cause trouble, No matter WHAT BREED it is.

By asking people to abide by their laws, stand up and be responsible --- there are so many people around here who let their dogs off on the dog parks and beaches etc. knowing full well their dog is a dog aggressive dog but they let it happen anyway, saying that there is No SHAME in making your dog wear a muzzle - that prevention is ALWAYS better than the cure.

Essentially its up to the owners of ALL dogs to Stand Up, Be Responsible and Save their own council areas from Breed Specific Legislations that wont work, once the BSL starts - There wont be any money for the things us dog owners WANT like more offlead parks. And wanting to add a bit in their asking the council to help prevent us ending up like victoria - have more rangers out there looking for PEOPLE breaking the laws with their dogs, Asking the council to consider providing obedience groups/puppy classes as part of a subsidy. Registration incentives for the owners of trained dogs etc. All of these actions WILL help prevent dog bites on PEOPLE and PETS.

Hopefully a good story with photos can encourage people to 1. Start being responsible. 2. Write to the council asking them to NOT bring in BSL in this region

Personally to me the problem is the ease of access to purchasing dogs/puppies. If there was a ban on pet shops and internet selling of dogs and puppies, I'm sure we would see a decrease in the number of irresponsible dog owners - and that is the problem, irresponsible/ignorant dog owners, not the breeds. If every breed was owned by a responsible dog owner then we would never have the hysteria we are having now.

Dogs and puppies should only be purchased from registered, ethical breeders or from rescue organisations. And only once the potential new owners are vetted for their knowledge of breed, social responsibilities, local govt rules and regulations, and all other aspects of owning a dog.

Sites like gumtree should be stopped immediately, this site just promotes exactly what is causing these issues (along with pet shops). Personally I would like to see it harder to own a dog (in that I mean being able to purchase one in the first place).

All dog clubs and individuals etc should be lobbying councils and government to ban dogs and puppies being sold over the internet and through pet shops.

Personally to me the problem is the ease of access to purchasing dogs/puppies. If there was a ban on pet shops and internet selling of dogs and puppies, I'm sure we would see a decrease in the number of irresponsible dog owners - and that is the problem, irresponsible/ignorant dog owners, not the breeds. If every breed was owned by a responsible dog owner then we would never have the hysteria we are having now.

Dogs and puppies should only be purchased from registered, ethical breeders or from rescue organisations. And only once the potential new owners are vetted for their knowledge of breed, social responsibilities, local govt rules and regulations, and all other aspects of owning a dog.

Sites like gumtree should be stopped immediately, this site just promotes exactly what is causing these issues (along with pet shops). Personally I would like to see it harder to own a dog (in that I mean being able to purchase one in the first place).

All dog clubs and individuals etc should be lobbying councils and government to ban dogs and puppies being sold over the internet and through pet shops.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Don't ever be complacent and think that it "cant" happen or "wont" happen here.

Currently Banned and or Restricted in Ireland - American Pit Bull Terrier; English Bull Terrier; Staffordshire Bull Terrier; Bull Mastiff; Doberman Pinscher; German Shepherd (Alsatian); Rhodesian Ridgeback; Rottweiler; Japanese Akita; Japanese Tosa and to every dog of the type commonly known as a Ban Dog (or Bandog).

Maxiewolf, there are no banned breeds in the 26 counties of the Republic of Ireland. The 6 counties of Northern Ireland are part of the UK and the control of dogs is governed by the Dogs Order (NI) 1983 (as amended by the Dangerous Dogs (Northern Ireland) Order 1991 and the Dogs (Amendment) Act (Northern Ireland) 2011).

The 26 counties of the Republic have the Control of Dogs Act 1986, and a breed-specific listing from the Control of Dogs Regulations 1998 as follows:

American pit bull terrier

English bull terrier

Staffordshire bull terrier

Bull mastiff

Dobermann pinscher

German shepherd (Alsatian)

Rhodesian ridgeback

Rottweiler

Japanese akita

Japanese tosa

Bandog

The rules state that:

• These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must be kept on a short strong lead by a person over 16 years who is capable of controlling them
  • These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must be muzzled whenever they are in a public place
  • These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must wear a collar bearing the name and address of their owner at all times

It's an important distinction to make, because these different laws are what allow Republic of Ireland rescues to take dogs that would otherwise be destroyed in the UK (pit bull terriers and crosses thereof). It's the reason Bruce the pitbull cross, seized from his family with no offence committed and held in disgraceful conditions for three years, could be taken across the border and live his life out in peace.

:thumbsup:

so true!