Lymphoma.... :-(

I am very saddened to hear of all this news. I beling to two canine cancer groups at yahoo

[email protected] and [email protected]

May I suggest that you put your dogs on a cancer starving diet: low in carbohydrates and high in fats and good quality proteins. plus veggies and fruits esp red cloured .

supplements to assist the immune system are: Fish Oil (Salmon OIL) 3grams per 15kg body weight per day, antioxidants vitamins C,A and E, probiotics, digestive enzymes. L-Arsparaginase may be beneficial in the treatment of lymphoma , omega # fatty acids. Flainoids and selinium.

If you can a consult with a reputable holistic vet would be of assistance.

wishing you all the best in your fight ..but dont loose sight of the blessing of having them beside you each day.

PS. My girl Lucinda has MCT grade 3 dxd 28/8/2002. Was advised to take her home for a few days to say goodbye..she is still here still bouncy.

In 1999 my beloved Morris crossed to the Bridge after a short fight with lymphoma..at that time I knew nothing about diet supplements etc.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Burni - don't know much about Lymphoma but have a couple of suggestions for the other problems you mentioned.

Fly bitten ears - have used zinc cream in the past - flies don't like to go on the ears because it is sticky. Also help dry up the bites and the scabs come away easily.

Down here in Victoria we have a well know Vet on radio weekly and many times people ring in with problems of dogs biting and chewing themselves and is not due to fleas.

He always suggest AVIL tablets it's an antihystomine (hope I spelt it right) available over the counter at any Chemist and he can't speak more highly of it.

You could probably check this out with your vet/chemist if it may help and what dosage they would suggest.

I wish you good luck it must be a very hard time for you but it's great to see how much support you are getting from the forum members. Will keep watching for your updates

Hi Birni, you may remember I posted about the same time as you did. Unfortunately, Belle had a massive bleed on April 5th & I decided it was time for her to go to rainbow bridge :laugh: Because it was an emergency situation, the sister remained at home & I decided to see how she would fare without Belle. Bijou was very clingy for the first week & has become very dependent on me, however she has rallied very well & is managing OK without Belle.

I am so pleased the treatment has been working for Kiya, & that he has overcome the recent setbacks. I hope he continues to battle along & that you have much more time together. Every day is precious, isn't it?

As for the flies, I recommend Septicide cream, it is for wounds & contains an effective fly repellant. I used it a lot on the ears of my old GSD, whether the skin was broken or not.

Keep up the positive attitude, birni, it is contagious you know :laugh:

After Easter I had two stints away for business (and hated it) so he had to go to the kennels.  The first time he came home with kennel cough.  I was unimpressed however I also know that with so many strains of KC the vaccine doesn't protect against all, and also that we are talking about a dog whose immune system we are suppressing (with the cortisone).  So, of course he will pick up anything!

The second stint was a longer one and this is when his lump came back and he was off his food again.

Hi birni,

I'm so glad to hear that Kiya is still ok. It is such a shame that he had to go into kennels, he would have suffered stress and obviously that set him back quite a bit. If you have to go away again is there some other alternative to the kennels? I know that keeping stress to a minimum is very important in this disease as stress lowers the immune system even further. Re the fly bites, please be careful that he doesn't get an infection. My boy who had lymphoma contracted an infection through an open sore on his foot. Because his immune system was so compromised it wouldn't heal and the infection spread to his kidneys and killed him in two days.

I will be thinking of you.

Edited by Miranda

Ah yes the fly problem, forgot about that one. When I got my Rotti she had very badly bitten ears so I did hours of searching on the net. I ended up making my own flyspray but soaking lavender, mint and lemongrass in (initially) boiling water for 24hrs. I keep it refridgerated but I don't know what kind of shelf life it would have. Didn't get too many chances to test it cos it got cold but it seemed to work a treat. Also read that diluting an Avon product called skin so soft insect repellant works well but never tried it. To clear up the existing wound I used Vets All Natural wound spray. Never used anything better!

Years ago when I worked in horse racing we used to wipe the horses down with a kerosene rag!!! :laugh: Cigarette, anyone?

Again, I thank you all so much for your continued support with our issues! It really means a lot to me to read your replies!

Miranda, I know what you are saying with the stress of going to the kennels and the effect that would have on his condition. Unfortunately, I had no choice at the time which was why I hated it (probably more than he really!). This weekend he has to spend another day or two there as we are moving (yes, ANOTHER stressful change for him so lots more spoiling on it's way!).

Along with the added supplements I mentioned of Vit B and Fish Oil I also had a thought of Evening Primrose Oil... checked out with a bit of research so have added that in to his diet also.

Haven - if your friend wouldn't mind I would love to talk to her about the holistic side of things. Perhaps we could exchange a contact number via email (or I'm happy to give mine if she would prefer to make the call?). Much appreciated!

Trifecta - I'm really sorry to hear that Belle crossed over the bridge. My heart goes out to you guys :laugh:

I haven't had a chance to speak with her today but she is a lovely, extremely helpful person and a fountain of information. I'm confident she wouldn't mind me passing on her contact details. I'm going to PM you rather than post it but if anyone would like to contact her please pm me and I'll give you the info.

Haven - thanks for that. I appreciate it and will try to contact her in the next few days. I hope she doesn't mind!

I also noticed a forum on Canberra vets and Trifecta has managed to find a holistic vet in Kambah (ACT) so I will try to give her a call next week also.

We're going off to the vet in the morn - not sure if I mentioned but Kiya has developed sores on his legs - one on his front paw, one on the back of his hind heel, and one on the side of his hind knee. They are really bothered looking and yucky, and he doesn't leave them alone. I've just started to bathe them a little in diluted dettol because I feel I need to be doing something, but to no avail. Poor bugga! So, we shall see what the doc thinks of them, and what may be causing them!

After a visit to the vet we are still none the wiser on the sores Kiya has developed. The vet suggested they may be a cutaneous form of his cancer coming out and that we could do a biopsy which I declined due to cost and the fact that it makes no impact on our way going forward.

So, continue with the cortisone, a new long dose of antibiotics, and some antifungal cream. Hoping that one of the above will get to the cause!

• 1 month later...

Hi all!

For those of you who read our plight during Kiya's first three months of diagnosis, you will be happy to know that he is still going (relatively) strong! We are now four and a half months in so for all you puppy parents with a lymphoma diagnosis STAY POSITIVE!!!

What I want to ask though, has anyone had anything to do with Lupus (SLE) in dogs? I have just got back from a vet visit as Kiya has a fever for the second time in two weeks. We are treating it again with Orbax and were assuming he'd just picked up another infection due to low immunity and the cold weather. However, just as we were summarising it was noticed that one of his fore and opposite hind elbow joints are quite severely swollen and heated.

After I left I got to thinking.... I have a friend who suffers Lupus (the human kind) and the whole joint thing reminded me of her, as well as a recent discussion about her medication and effects. It really helped me to understand Kiya's meds etc and now with this latest, it's got me thinking. I've done a bit of research on the net and one good reading I found suggested it is often "brought out" by something else affecting the immune system (such as lymphoma/cancer!).

I haven't suggested this to the vet yet (literally just came up with the thought myself) but what I would be interested to know is how people have treated it, is there any supplements which may assist us (as it appears the treatments for lymphoma are same/similar) etc?

Goodluck with Kiya. So glad to hear you're both doing well. I lost my beautiful boy late last year to lymphoma (in the throat so there was no hope). I know what you're going through. Without a doubt the most painful time in my life. Best wishes :)

Hi to all,

It is just 6 years ago that we lost our dear Miss Scarlett to Lymphoma. We had just three months with her after her diagnosis and during that time we received many emails from all over the world with people offering advice.

One remedy all seemed to mention was Essiac Tea, which is apparently quite commonly used in this form of Cancer in humans.

We immediately bought some, we were at the point of trying anything, alas it was too late for our very special girl, however I handed the remains of what I had over to a friend of mine who had a cattle dog that had just been diagnosed with the same.

Jessie today at 12 years of age, still drinks her daily dose of Essiac Tea and whether it is fate or not, her owners sware by it and declare that they would never stop giving it to her.

I have been told that their Vet rolls his eyes, BUT, he aslo acknowledges that a miracle has happened and that if Jessie were his, he too would continue to administer her with her daily "cuppa"!

Essiac Tea is available from Health food shops in different forms, however the better kind for this treatment is the one that takes the most preparation (who cares if it will help) and that is boiling and simmering for some time to brew.

For those concerned about administering, their food can be soaked in it until they develop a taste for it.

Also for any that are off their food due to feeling nauseous, our girl responded very positively to the Hills Science Diet NCA formulas, when even fresh chicken could not tempt her.

Lymphoma ia a heart breaking disease and all I can say is I feel for anyone who falls prey to it.

Treasure the times you have with your loved ones and count every day a blessing,

Lesley

There are threads here on using natural therapies to treat or complement conventional treatment that I would highly recommend if you have not already seen them.

There are also many great books on the subject and one in particular that i would recommend is "the nature of animal healing" by Martin Goldstein.

I think the book is a must read for all dog owners. It is not just about treating cancer, it is about natural therapies, how conventional treatments work and why they are not always best, vaccinations, diet, dealing with loss of a pet etc.

I would be seeing a Vet that uses natural therapies and consulting with an animal nutritionist on an appropriate diet.

Many people save their animals using natural medicine rather than conventional and get many more years with them after the '3 months left' diagnosis.

Good luck to you Birni.

Hi Birni, my heart leapt with fright when I saw this thread resurrected! So pleased to hear that it is not bad news that brings you back to the forum. I think your vet is the best one to discuss the lupus idea with, he/she is doing a wonderful job keeping your companion going!

Poor Kiya is not good at all tonight and I really hope the antibiotics kick in soon. His fore elbow and hind hock are so swollen and sore. Esp on the fore. He's really down. He's still drinking but not eating. I feel so anxious for him. I have steps up to the house so even to try to get him to go out to toilet is an issue. I have "built" a little ramp at the front steps because he just can't negotiate the steps at all, but it is a bit traumatic for both of us as he really doesn't want to go down it because it hurts. I don't really know what else I can do to try to ease the swelling. He has a bit of a sore on his elbow which looked mostly healed but in giving a little massage it pussed a bit so obviously that is the source of infection. :rolleyes:

my thoughts and sympathies go out to you all, I know how traumatic it is to have your best friend go through such a traumatic illness.

I was wondering if you are up to disscussing it, can you remember the initial symptoms? and does there always have to be a lump as well?

can this Lymphosarcoma

(spelling) can it be cured as such if caught early enough?

some of the things people have already mentioned sound similar to what one of our Rotties has been doing over the last couple of months,

nothing serious, just vague symptoms on and off.

She is 5 and everynow and then has a day when she is off colour, not sick as such

but lethargic and wanting not to get out of bed,

the last couple of months everynow and then she cries when she runs for the ball

as she picks it up.

she climbed under the fence a couple of weeks ago and yelped when she did, she wouldnt come back the same way and went the long way around through the back paddock.

I thought it was her back as she is the mosy hyperactive (normally) rottie I know.

but she has done the same thing when sitting/ lying down in front of the fire

and I heard her cry when she got onto the bed (she is very spoilt LOL)

No lumps that I can find, but she occassionally, crys if you rub her tummy,

I might just be worrying over nothing, but her days when she seems sick , its classic hot nose and sad eyes, but 24 hours later shes fine again.

it only started a couple of months ago but not often enough to warrant a vet trip

but reading this post I am starting to worry.

can it be detected by a blood test? or do they have to xray as well??

something is just not quite right,

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :rolleyes:

I forgot to add , I have her booked for a general checkup on Monday,

I thought there might be some extra questions that I should ask about what could be wrong.

she did the cry thing again when I rubbed her tummy tonight with my foot. :rolleyes: