How Is This Diet?

JB1824

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, important thing to remember is they should be raw MEATY bones. And also try to avoid artificial saw cuts as much as possible as these create artificial/unnatural surfaces and shapes. Bigger and as whole as possible is better. Agree that those sawn up lamb 'neck chops' are a big no-no. Never had an issue feeding whole lamb necks or roo tails. If in doubt if they get down to just bone take the bone bits away. For a smaller dog maybe go with Turkey necks first up if you are concerned - same type of bone but softer. I would personally not have an issue giving a lamb neck to a whippet though.

thank you. The roos tails could be whatever size I wanted and have all their meat on. Lambs necks, well they are all a bit small at the moment, but when I get the butchered would I ask for a whole neck, or say get it cut into two? And I will get the shanks for the dogs and the lamb flaps as long as they are not too fatty

It is because of breeders like that, that we get confused clients on a daily basis who dont know what to feed their dogs. I am so sick of breeders recommending Weetbix!

What a mixture of crap, and how long does she expect you to be preparing your dogs meals for each day? Sounds like you will be there for hours every day.

Chicken wings were a staple for my labrador in the early weeks. As well as lamb shanks, flaps, the odd turkey neck and, later, chicken carcasses.

I thought keeping track of dog meat in the freezer and remembering to take it out each day was an effort for the dog's dinner...this diet has proved me very wrong :laugh:

Isn't garlic supposed to irritate dogs' bowels? Or is it just onion?

Garlic is fine in small quantities - everything in moderation.

Ososwift, when we get sheep done pretty much every bit we don't eat goes to the dogs and when it comes to lamb we mainly eat only roasts :laugh: We do keep the lamb shanks for ourselves though. I am sure your friend will appreciate them if you prefer not to give them to the dogs ;) .

Agree, if you are going to split the necks, better to split them lengthways.

Some dogs don't do well on pork. A pig tail isn't very big so for a 15kg+ dog I would give it a go first up and see how the dog goes with it. Pork can be hard to digest and can be fatty which can cause pancreatitis. Mine have always loved pigs trotters and pigs heads, never had a problem. Same as introducing anything new - give them a small amount and see what happens.

Scratch that, read it's a Lab.

For a pup between 5% and 10% of their adult body weight per day in raw food is a good guide so break out the calculator :)

If you're not solely raw feeding, giving a bit too much or not quite enough just in one meal isn't that important. I wouldn't give chicken wings to a Lab puppy though - try thighs or bodies + some boneless meat (doesn't need to be chicken)

Edited by Sandra777