How Is This Diet?

JB1824

Hey everyone,

I recently was sent a diet sheet from my breeder (we're expecting the puppy in November) and just wanted to check that it's all okay, because I really have no idea about their requirements and what the nutrition of foods are. The breeder's dogs all seem very healthy though.

Breakfast:

The night before soak 75 grams of Barley & Oat Flakes (2 parts Barley Flakes to one part Oat Flakes) and 25grams Supercoat Puppy. In the morning mix in a Weetbix, a teaspoon of Almond Meal (or powdered almonds), 1/2 teaspoon ground Anise, one teaspoon Slippery Elm Bark powder, one teaspoon of Honey, one teaspoon Wheat Germ and one teaspoon of Desiccated Coconut, pour a little hot (not boiling) water over the Weetbix to soften then add milk, mix and serve.

Warm Milk (120 ml)

Dinner:

250 grams of RAW Meat (in 6 – 8 large pieces) sprinkle with one teaspoon powdered Kelp (seaweed), one dessert spoon Bran, heaped teaspoon Wheat Germ, 2 heaped teaspoons vitamised mixed herbs (mainly parsley and mint with garlic, carrot and any other green leafy herbs, spinach etc) a good sprinkle of Cayenne Pepper, level teaspoon of finely ground raw egg shell, 1 teaspoon cold pressed olive oil and one 500mg Vitamin C tablet (crushed), half a teaspoon celery seeds, teaspoon powdered stinging nettle. Mix all together, with a little bit of water, to coat the meat. 1 Bone (lamb or beef neck cut down the middle and across, chicken wings or rib bones rubbed with oil (or water) and rolled in bran.

Supper:

Mix the soaked Dry food with Milk (Prepare the milk as for Breakfast) a teaspoon of Slippery Elm Bark, a teaspoon of Desiccated Coconut, a teaspoon of Wheat Germ and a teaspoon of Honey.

In a short while the Dry Dog Food will not need to be soaked.

Chopped dried fruits (usually added to the cereal meal), vegetables finely chopped, raw egg (no more than 2 per week) occasionally add some creamed corn and sardines in oil, these are good additives for your puppy.

The amounts would change depending on what the puppy (Labrador Retriever) needs. Do I need to include Weetbix in the diet? I've been reading a couple of threads/posts here that have said that it's just a 'filler', so is it even necessary to add? I've also read some posts here about not needing to moisten the puppy's food. Should I just follow the breeder's directions and just gradually stop soaking it?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a diet I would be comfortable feeding.... If you want to feed raw I would suggest starting out with pre-prepared BARF patties from the vet or pet shop. That way at least you know it is somewhat 'balanced'. The only additive I would use would be a top quality biscuit. I used large dog Advance as I knew my boy would grow large and rapidly so to offset this I only used the puppy for a few months and then gradually switched over to raw. (His breeder had only fed biscuits)

A couple of things stand out in this diet that makes me :eek: Weetbix....grains and sugar hmmmm. This diet does seem a bit overloaded in grains. I see no offal there either. Almond meal?!!!???? Cayenne pepper???? Slippery Elm is very usefull for digestive upsets for the short term over use can cause lots of problems. Lots of honey in there too....Maluka honey is useful occasionally....not something I would be feeding every day. Chopped dried fruits...ok but make absolutely sure there are no currents or raisins in there. Garlic is a member of the onion family and these days is not recommended for dogs. Cows milk is great for baby cows....

Well from what I've heard Weatbix is just a filler, if you include milk in your puppys diet make sure its lactose free otherwise your puppy will get the runs?

I started with supercoat with my puppy and now I'm avoiding it like the plague.

That diet seems a little overboard....

Very unusual, and not something I would personally use for a large breed puppy.

Aside form the fact it doesn't appear to be nutritionally balanced; Does the breeder actually expect people to have the time and inclination to do all this??? It sounds like more effort than making a meal for myself!

with a large breed pup like a labrador, I would feed a good quality premium kibble as it is just too much of a risk to play around with a homemade meal (especially one as weird as that!) when they are developing.

You can supplement with things like raw egg, yoghurt, sardines and raw meaty bones if you wish.

I found lamb flaps and lamb shanks to be excellent with a lab puppy.

Some people also like chicken wings for a young puppy.

Puppies do not need a lot of grains- they do not need sugar .. or coconut , or dried fruits .....

you may need to do it for a week or two though..while you gradually introduce your chosen food - just to avoid tummy upsets.

BTW a lab puppy does not need soaked kibble .. they are quite capable of crunching dry food and bones at that age :)

Breakfast:

The night before soak 75 grams of Barley & Oat Flakes (2 parts Barley Flakes to one part Oat Flakes) and 25grams Supercoat Puppy. In the morning mix in a Weetbix, a teaspoon of Almond Meal (or powdered almonds), 1/2 teaspoon ground Anise, one teaspoon Slippery Elm Bark powder, one teaspoon of Honey, one teaspoon Wheat Germ and one teaspoon of Desiccated Coconut, pour a little hot (not boiling) water over the Weetbix to soften then add milk, mix and serve.

Warm Milk (120 ml)

Dinner:

250 grams of RAW Meat (in 6 – 8 large pieces) sprinkle with one teaspoon powdered Kelp (seaweed), one dessert spoon Bran, heaped teaspoon Wheat Germ, 2 heaped teaspoons vitamised mixed herbs (mainly parsley and mint with garlic, carrot and any other green leafy herbs, spinach etc) a good sprinkle of Cayenne Pepper, level teaspoon of finely ground raw egg shell, 1 teaspoon cold pressed olive oil and one 500mg Vitamin C tablet (crushed), half a teaspoon celery seeds, teaspoon powdered stinging nettle. Mix all together, with a little bit of water, to coat the meat. 1 Bone (lamb or beef neck cut down the middle and across, chicken wings or rib bones rubbed with oil (or water) and rolled in bran.

Supper:

Mix the soaked Dry food with Milk (Prepare the milk as for Breakfast) a teaspoon of Slippery Elm Bark, a teaspoon of Desiccated Coconut, a teaspoon of Wheat Germ and a teaspoon of Honey.

In a short while the Dry Dog Food will not need to be soaked.

Chopped dried fruits (usually added to the cereal meal), vegetables finely chopped, raw egg (no more than 2 per week) occasionally add some creamed corn and sardines in oil, these are good additives for your puppy.

The amounts would change depending on what the puppy (Labrador Retriever) needs. Do I need to include Weetbix in the diet? I've been reading a couple of threads/posts here that have said that it's just a 'filler', so is it even necessary to add? I've also read some posts here about not needing to moisten the puppy's food. Should I just follow the breeder's directions and just gradually stop soaking it?

Hows about a quality dry puppy food, such as Proplan, Advance, Artemis, Eagle Pack, Royal Canin or Canidea, there's plenty to choose from that are nutritionally balanced and you don't need to add anything.

Feed your meat on the bone ( consumable bone ) such as lamb necks, roo tails, chicken wings, chicken neck, carcass, rabbit, lamb flap, etc

If you want to add extra's and provide some variety, then chuck the pup a whole agg and give it a game at the same time, canned sardines or mackeral, a spoon of natural yogurt, a bit of grated cheese or left over vegies every now and then.

That is the bizarre-est diet I've read recently hahaa. So much honey? Almond meal? Creamed corn?? Coconut and to top it off Supercoat!

2nd what ReadySetGo suggests - pick a premium dry food and add good raw meaty bones, the occasional oily fish, egg, yoghurt, leftovers veg/pasta/meat.

1 Bone (lamb or beef neck cut down the middle and across, chicken wings or rib bones rubbed with oil (or water) and rolled in bran.

It is just me, or does this in particular sound completely random? :laugh:

It sounds like some kind of gourmet meal...

like a schnitzel or something :p

Very complicated and I struggle to understand the science behind some of the ingredients.

Another vote here for a quality kibble supplemented with raw meaty bones OR do your own research and feed a properly balanced raw diet.

Feeding a puppy shouldn't be like an episode of Masterchef! :eek:

Chopped and dried fruit are full of sugar...

More alarming than the sugar content would be the Sulphur Dioxide

Unless you find naturally dried fruit with no sulphur dioxide, it's not something I'd feed a dog. If you want to give your dog a little fruit, give him the end off your banana, or a slice of apple , whenever you have some. Dogs don't need fruit and it's really just a treat

Edited by ReadySetGo

hmmmmmmm

I would not feed that, apart from the fact it is waayyy too complicated it is not a balanced diet. I would feed what they have been feeding to a point, but would not worry about weetbix or dried fruit etc, And I definately would not feed Supercoat