What Do You Mix With Kibble?

willlow

Wanting to hear what people here mix with their dog/s kibble? I want something to add to their kibble daily (other than eggs, sardines, yoghurt which they get on the odd occasion)

They are fed a premium kibble as the base of their diet and get bones once a week.

I worry about mixing things like raw meat or BARF patties because it may unbalance the kibble.

I have used premium versions of canned food but feel like im throwing my money away on crap in a tin.

I was thinking perhaps Ecopet dog roll, does anyone use this?

Edited by willlow

Hi what I do is is I feed raw minced meat in the morning and kibble at night. I've been told to never feed raw and kibble together at the same time. Also twice a week the raw minced meat gets switched with a bone. I also feed my guys a raw egg once a week and sardines here and there.

I have fed raw/dry 90% raw 10% Dry, and never had any probs have done this for years..

I Feed Raw (Bigdog Barf) And kibble.. I have since switch (3weeks now) from Royal Canin to Black Hawk and all is going well! Dogs love BH

Edited by TeamSnag

Nothing goes with the kibble, it's a complete and balanced meal on it's own. However, in the mornings they get a chicken drumstick for breakfast and on weekends they sometimes get a pork bone each in the middle of the day.

If you mix something with the kibble because you think it's boring on it's own, it's not you that's eating it and dogs don't mind boring.

Edited by GayleK

Guest Black Obsession

I feed half chicken and vegies/half kibble during the week and chicken wings on weekends (as well as lamb bones).

I mix chicken thigh fillets with pureed vegies and flaxseed oil.

I also make an Eggie Drink, which I feed occasionally as a treat.

Eggie Drink ingredients:

1 cup goat's milk

1 egg

1 Tabs flaxseed oil

2 tsps slippery elm powder

1 tsp honey

Warm the goat's milk slightly and blend with a hand mixer. Serve immediately while frothy.

As a guide: 2/3 cup for an adult Lab; 1/3 cup for a Lab puppy.

My dog loves the rolls. Some give him the runs, but I find he loves Nutra-Vite made by Scotties and it seems to be the best for him, no runs, no smelly poos, and no big poos, but they are all different. It contains, Lamb Mutton Chicken Rice Bone and Oils that's it. Agrees with him, and price is good too. I get it for $8 for 2kgs from my local, I'm sure I could probably source it even cheaper, but I like to support my local they are great. He gets this at about a ratio of 60% black hawk and about 40% roll. He also get Chicken necks for lunch every second day.

I once enquired about EcoPet Rolls, but they aren't available in SE QLD anymore :(

Edited by meluchja

Guest lavendergirl

I just give Innova kibble twice a day topped with whatever I have leftover - a bit of cooked chicken or a bit of canned tuna/salmon or egg. He has a Greenie or similar dental chew every other day as well.

Hi what I do is is I feed raw minced meat in the morning and kibble at night. I've been told to never feed raw and kibble together at the same time. Also twice a week the raw minced meat gets switched with a bone. I also feed my guys a raw egg once a week and sardines here and there.

Just curious, do you know why you were advised against mixing kibble and raw? My two have kibble in the morning and at night, but i mix in veggie puree with the kibble every night. I also put in raw mince, sardines or chicken necks some nights..Not so much for variety, but more to fill them up and save on the kibble costs.

Edited by tiff-689

I would like to know this too tiff-689.

My dogs also get kibble in the morning with a dollop of yoghurt, & then kibble in the evening mixed with raw chicken or turkey mince, or sardines, & sometimes tinned salmon or tuna....also twice a week they will get a raw egg mixed in with it too.

Been feeding them this way for years with no problems. :)

Some people believe that the dry food and the raw food (or left overs) will take different amounts of time for the stomach to break down and pass on to the intestine so cause problems for the dog's digestion.

AFAIK there's no scientific basis for this, afterall if you give the dog an edible bone some parts of this are going to take longer to leave the stomach than other parts and they cope perfectly OK with that!

surely the body is going to work on it's own to digest the food... unless their systems are so inept that they can't digest things properly. I feed my dogs a mix of raw bones and mince/veg. I'm guessing the mince digests before the bone but it doesn't do them any harm. For my kibble fed dogs (2 of them) I feed kibble mixed with whatever they can have - for one of them, it's chicken mince. Not seen any issues.

Can't find a reference for this but according to an animal nutritionalist if you are using a complete and balanced dry food, any additives should be less than 25% of the total intake, or you lose the balance (unless you know how to balance what you are giving but that includes all vitamins and minerals as well) sounds like you are already doing well.

Edited by bonny_beagle

My guys get fed in the mornings, they get a cup or 2 cups of kibble and a handful of mince mixed in. they also get some oils and At gets Sashas Blend in his.

They will eat just dry food if i feed it, but they dont like it and will have it sitting there most the day with the birds eating, so i always mix something with it

Silly me got roo mince the other week, kaos hates the stuff so i have been giving her grated cheese to get her to eat the kibble :laugh:

My dogs get good quality beef chunks with their dry food most nights (they are on either eagle pack natural or power) or they may get sardines or tuna if i don'thave meat on hand. Left overs if they are on hand (meat, veg, pasta, rice) also go in their meals. Usually if they get bones or chicken carcasses they don't get dry that meal.

They also get water added to their dry food.

I've been feeding this way since i got my first dog nearly 13 years ago and they are all in fantastic health. My dogs work hard in harness all winter and have always performed well on this diet.

Can't find a reference for this but according to an animal nutritionalist if you are using a complete and balanced dry food, any additives should be less than 25% of the total intake, or you lose the balance (unless you know how to balance what you are giving but that includes all vitamins and minerals as well) sounds like you are already doing well.

I have heard this too but 1 cup of kibble ( canidae) plus 250g meat & bone a day suits my dog best. Iv done only kibble and only raw and neither suits him like this does

I don't mix anything with kibble. I just feed a range of meals.

Read the label on any roll carefully. Most are heavily laden with preservatives. I don't think you're doing your dogs any favours feeding a roll if that's the case.

If your dogs don't find the kibble palatable without additives, I'd say its time to try another kibble or feed them when they're hungrier. :laugh:

Edited by poodlefan

I don't mix anything with kibble. I just feed a range of meals.

Read the label on any roll carefully. Most are heavily laden with preservatives. I don't think you're doing your dogs any favours feeding a roll if that's the case.

If your dogs don't find the kibble palatable without additives, I'd say its time to try another kibble or feed them when they're hungrier. :laugh:

The two varieties of scotty's rolls we use, are 100% preservative free, and also free from artificial colours or flavours as well. But they are cooked, but this is great if you have a dog who doesn't tolerate raw very well. I can't say a bad thing about them and would recommend them to anyone. We just give them with his kibble and he loves it.

Edited by meluchja