Need Info On Bearded Collies

whitka

One of my freinds has become very keen on Bearded Collies so I told her I would help her with researching the breed. Things she would like to know are what is there temperement like, what are they like with other dogs and animals, how trainable are they, what are there exercise needs like, how much grooming do they need, what are they like in the house and do they shed much?

Edited by whitka

My friend has always had two although now she has 1 and a mutt she adopted from a rescue group thinking it was a Bearded Collie cross but DNA testing showed other breeds.

Her dogs are were extremely active, big barkers and lots of grooming. As nice as they were with other dogs, they did cause a lot of nuisance in the dog park (she goes for an hour every night) with barking and herding behaviours. She never attempted to control it and it did cause a lot of anger amongst other dog owners! Now she has one it isn't so bad.

As for the grooming - it's huge, she spent hours trying to keep her dogs looking good but they did get matted sometimes. Professional grooming can be expensive too.

I personally would never cope with them, hers are house dogs so perhaps the neighbours haven't complained as they are not outside barking that often but these days, it would be something to consider as people complain so much.

They were taken to stay with a friend who had a cat and they barked continuously at the poor thing apparently.

Edited by dogmad

Like all the herding/collie breeds, they are highly ntelligrnt, easily bored and require a good amount of training. Lovely dogs though. Loads of grooming. Don't underestimate the amount of grooming, it would not be a quick brush daily that's for sure.

We've had two (second one is still with us). Neither of them have been excessively energetic. I think I would say that yes, they'd be raring to go if you need them to, but they have also been able to chill out really well too. Since I was born we've always had a beardie and a rottie combo and they tire each other out nicely. I would probably keep my beardie's hair a little shorter so that it's easier to brush as it can get a bit knotty. It's really not that hard to look after though. Mine have both been great with our cat considering we never tried to create any relationship between them as the dogs were always predominantly outside dogs and the cat was always an inside cat. Both have been super easy to train and have never had any health issues. The second one can be a bit of a barker though it's pretty much only when people come near the house but also my parents never succeeded at training her not to bark.

I like Beardies and regularly look after a friends Beardie.

Overall I would say they have lovely personalities- they are energetic when you want to be but quite chilled/relaxed at home (if you are there). They can be quite vocal if left alone though, although I;m sure with proper training and stimulation it wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Many people mistake them for OES, they are a very cute looking dog :D . They have quite a strong herding instinct like many herding breeds.

The grooming would be the main disadvantage for me personally. They are not really and wash and wear dog. You can have them clipped off which does make it a bit easier- depends if you want to go down that path though ( i know heaps of people are against clipping double coated breeds). Personally I think they look quite good in a clippped coat and it would definitely make them more manageable.

great dogs but to put it in three words

ACTIVE

BRUSHING

BARKING

I love them to bits and would have another in a heartbeat if I was retired and lived on property.

^ this (in bold)

They are wild and wilful and IMO never really grow up :laugh:

Sounds like a beardie could be a good match for my friends Boxer :laugh: She lives on a property just outside of town so the barking wouldnt be to much of an issue but the dog would be inside alot, it would also get alot of free running. Grooming doesnt seem to be to much of an issue, she's always wanted a longer haired dog. I'll pass this on to her.

Beardie gooming is dependant on coat type - the more correct it is the easier to handle (a soft coat can be difficult to handle and requires much more attention compared to a correct coarse coat) As a general rule - allow a good hour each week for a brush and on bath days put aside 3 hours. In general beardie temp. is excellant with other other animals although because they are an independant herding dog you may find one with a high herding drive could herd your friends, family and other animals. As for excercise - some are quite happy being couch potatoes and some (usually those with the higher herding drive) require much more exercise as they can get bored quickly. The breeder of my first beardie always says that the boys are easier to handle and much more loving - and Elaine is correct. Not all are barkers BUT some will bark at planes, choppers, sirens etc (not much different to other herding animals really - owing to the excellant hearing). Beardies are easily trained BUT again because they are independant thinkers they do not respond well to harsh treatment - so POSITIVE re-inforcement is a must.

Hope that helps

Edited to say - grooming properly from the start makes the grooming easier later. As for shedding - I hope your friend has hard floors not carpet - otherwise she may find an extra carpet on the carpet.

Edited by AmandaJ

Things she would like to know are what is there temperement like, what are they like with other dogs and animals, how trainable are they, what are there exercise needs like, how much grooming do they need, what are they like in the house and do they shed much?

There's a summary here - click once on the picture to bring up the information panel:

http://dogbreedguide.whosyadoggy.com/?x=34

:)

Edited by UltimatePup