How Do I Find Out About A Possible Puppy Farm In My Area?

Terujo

Interesting about the vaccination before selling law in Vic, is the law the same in NSW?

I think it's only chipping that is mandatory. They can be sold as young as you like and unvaccinated.

ETA: I would be very happy to be corrected on that one. I haven't read up on the legislation for a while

Edited by Pav Lova

[quote name='Terujo' timestamp='1317028605' post='5512589'

She takes them to her workplace ( an ABC childcare centre) where buyers pick up their pup.

Umm this alone would be cause for concern & if factual should also be reported to the centre .

All good advice! I guess I was just getting all indignant unecessarily. You have offered good sound advice and reasoning- as usual :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help, sad and annoying as it is, probably still legal.:o

Oh and just so you know, I wouldn't have ACTUALLY stepped onto someone's property but may have driven passed to see what I could. I'll stay away for now- unless I hear more :D

Edited by Terujo

Interesting about the vaccination before selling law in Vic, is the law the same in NSW?

I think it's only chipping that is mandatory. They can be sold as young as you like and unvaccinated.

ETA: I would be very happy to be corrected on that one. I haven't read up on the legislation for a while

I thought it was the law for many years that it is illegal to sell a puppy before 8 weeks old in a pet shop.

This is from DogsNSW website re: pure bred dogs

6. A Member shall not sell or otherwise transfer from that Member's care any puppy under

eight (8) weeks of age, thus allowing for vaccination which must be given at six (6) weeks

of age, and for the necessary ten (10) to fourteen (14) days for the vaccine to take effect.

Given away is another matter. My son was given his pup at 5 weeks 5 days old back in 2000.

Edited by luvsdogs

Ive had peope who just decided to walk in and ask to see my dogs right in the middle of a family bar be que celebrating one of my kids engagements -

we've had a couple come to our door (my mum's place) and ask to see one of our dogs for sale. then ask if they can walk it. my mother said no i'll walk the dog for you. then they said they'll go and get some money out :confused: usually people know how much the dog is and have the money ready just incase ifthey want to buy it if they like it. then after they said they'll get the $ they disappeared never to be heard again.

what it was, these people were on a scam, they went to numerous other breeders homes asking to walk their dogs to try and take off with the dog once they had the dog on their own on a lead. don't know if they were successful.

i said to mum call the police but no one knew where they'd come from. so there's types like that and it is a greater risk especially when you advertise on the net.

there's breeders with their address clearly for all to see on breeders sites. seen this just yesterday i couldn't believe it and a breeder that is being targetted by animal rights people too. i can see why they know where they live because the breeder is displaying it for all to see. maybe the breeder thought they have nothing to hide but as i've said animal libs, animal rights people make it look worse than what it actually is sometimes to suit themselves.

I thought it was the law for many years that it is illegal to sell a puppy before 8 weeks old in a pet shop.

This is from DogsNSW website re: pure bred dogs

6. A Member shall not sell or otherwise transfer from that Member's care any puppy under

eight (8) weeks of age, thus allowing for vaccination which must be given at six (6) weeks

of age, and for the necessary ten (10) to fourteen (14) days for the vaccine to take effect.

Given away is another matter. My son was given his pup at 5 weeks 5 days old back in 2000.

Pet shops are supposed to hang onto them until 8 weeks of age

Dogs NSW breeders are bound by the code of ethics, as are members of other associations

The BYBer's and the puppy farmers, can do as they please.

They may well be registered breeders.

That is registered with the council.

Unless you can actually visit the property & see the condition of the dogs & how they live there is no evidence for complaint about laws being broken etc.

The welfare issue is debatable. They may be very well cared for, although the picture painted does seem to suggest something odd, as one never knows what goes on behind closed doors with any breeder regardless of anything.

Its not illegal to cross breed or keep many dogs. The vaccine thing & age of sale are regulated & that's about it.

There is nothing you can do. Some people don't care where their puppy comes from. It cute & I want it is about all that concerns them.

You can own a prefix with Vic dogs and never breed a puppy or you can breed cross bred puppies or you can breed cross bred and purebred puppies . Lots of people who breed cross bred dogs have a Vicdogs membership and are therefore exempt form all things other Vicdogs members are exempt from. Vicdogs can only say what you can do with your registered purebred dogs not what you can do with your unregistered dogs.

The codes of conduct only cover what you can do with your registered purebreds and you dont need to show whether your dogs are registered purebreds to be exempt - you have to have Vicdogs membership and not own more than 10 fertile bitches.

I am a member of Dogs Victoria & I'm pretty sure that it is EXPRESSLY forbidden for members to crossbreed their dogs (or to breed a registered dog with an unregistered dog) - I've been trying to find it on their website - no luck so far but I'll keep looking.

Edited by poodlemum

They may well be registered breeders.

That is registered with the council.

Unless you can actually visit the property & see the condition of the dogs & how they live there is no evidence for complaint about laws being broken etc.

The welfare issue is debatable. They may be very well cared for, although the picture painted does seem to suggest something odd, as one never knows what goes on behind closed doors with any breeder regardless of anything.

Its not illegal to cross breed or keep many dogs. The vaccine thing & age of sale are regulated & that's about it.

There is nothing you can do. Some people don't care where their puppy comes from. It cute & I want it is about all that concerns them.

You can own a prefix with Vic dogs and never breed a puppy or you can breed cross bred puppies or you can breed cross bred and purebred puppies . Lots of people who breed cross bred dogs have a Vicdogs membership and are therefore exempt form all things other Vicdogs members are exempt from. Vicdogs can only say what you can do with your registered purebred dogs not what you can do with your unregistered dogs.

The codes of conduct only cover what you can do with your registered purebreds and you dont need to show whether your dogs are registered purebreds to be exempt - you have to have Vicdogs membership and not own more than 10 fertile bitches.

I am a member of Dogs Victoria & I'm pretty sure that it is EXPRESSLY forbidden for members to crossbreed their dogs (or to breed a registered dog with an unregistered dog) - I've been trying to find it on their website - no luck so far but I'll keep looking.

It is forbidden for them to breed their registered purebred dogs with dogs of another breed or dogs which are of the same breed but not registered. But you can do anything you want with your dogs which are not registered with them.

Lots of registered breeders breed registered and cross bred dogs. If they started telling you that you couldnt own a mongrel or what you can and cannot do with it they would be pinged for restriction of trade.Gotta read the fine print.

It is forbidden for them to breed their registered purebred dogs with dogs of another breed or dogs which are of the same breed but not registered. But you can do anything you want with your dogs which are not registered with them.

Lots of registered breeders breed registered and cross bred dogs. If they started telling you that you couldnt own a mongrel or what you can and cannot do with it they would be pinged for restriction of trade.Gotta read the fine print.

OK, that makes sense! I guess one would HOPE that no registered breeder would also be a puppy farmer :mad

OK, that makes sense! I guess one would HOPE that no registered breeder would also be a puppy farmer :mad

You'd be hoping in vain. I can think of at least one in our own breed that exports whole litters regularly. :cry:

Yep some are pretty high up too.

being registered ANKC doesn't mean they are more ethical really does it even if they show their dogs doesn't mean a thing today. my first puppy now i realise was from a farmer and she eventually got closed down by the local council.

You'd be hoping in vain. I can think of at least one in our own breed that exports whole litters regularly. :cry:

I know :mad . I realise that, unfortunately, What I HOPE for & reality are 2 different things.

I know :mad . I realise that, unfortunately, What I HOPE for & reality are 2 different things.

you are not alone in that thought poodlemum.