Just A Heads Up. They're Back! It's Snake Season Again&#3

LizT

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its warming up now guys, in victoria anyway, please stay safe and have a great Summer.

snake catcher victoria australia

I can be contacted easily for information by clicking this link.

[email protected]

Thanks for that pic...now I know I saw a huge copperhead in our drive the other day...no more off leash in the driveway (700mtrs) for the puggies now. :eek:

Have just had 3 ft copperhead snake removed from front yard (thank you reptile rescue who came so promptly :thumbsup: )

But I live in fear of another one arriving and one of the dogs getting bitten again (and it was about this time of the year 3 years ago - he survived but the ongoing health issues have been a battle).

We have removed everything and even the snake catcher lady said there is nothing more we can do with the yard and dog runs - except remove the dogs water. She also said the area we are in we are lucky as its normally only copperheads.

So Snake Catcher - a couple of questions (and apologies if they have already been asked) will snakes climb for water? If I put water down the boundary away from the runs and house - will it help keep them away from us or just encourage snakes cos they find a never ending supply of water???? And I read somewhere about the cloves mix?? How strong does it need to be and is there any proof that it works?

Thanks

Big brown (I think it was a brown, it was brown in colour) in the padock late today. I was transferring water from our inground concrete tank to the house. The horses spotted him before I did as they were mooching around me. It has been pretty hot day today for us.

Please be careful everyone and thanks so much snake catcher for your guidence and support :)

Good luck Shepherds, we have removed all water sources other than inside the house and on our enclosed deck and I have put buckets of water outside our house yard, we also have troughs. It is a pain to keep them full (the toughs self fill) though better than a snake coming into our house yard looking for water.

Nic.B - How did the horses alert you - does their behaviour change? And how far away do you have the water from your house yard? At least we dont have to worry about Browns. We had a hot day yesterday and its warm today.

Im just terrified of them and aside from going around the house yard yet again and clearing bigger gaps under the very few remaining plants, have spent the day stressing there might be another one :eek: and what happens when I go to work tomorrow and the dogs are out in their runs. Two of them have house privileges but the two younger ones have to go out there.

And yes - thanks Snake Catcher thanks for your guidance and support and look forward to your suggestions.

I saw my first brown snake on my property this weekend. It was dead thankfully. The dogs had got it and it was tangled in some netting so not sure which occured first. Stupid kids of a friend were poking it. They got a lecture on what would have happened if it had still been alive and just sleeping. :mad

Nic.B - How did the horses alert you - does their behaviour change? And how far away do you have the water from your house yard? At least we dont have to worry about Browns. We had a hot day yesterday and its warm today.

Im just terrified of them and aside from going around the house yard yet again and clearing bigger gaps under the very few remaining plants, have spent the day stressing there might be another one :eek: and what happens when I go to work tomorrow and the dogs are out in their runs. Two of them have house privileges but the two younger ones have to go out there.

And yes - thanks Snake Catcher thanks for your guidance and support and look forward to your suggestions.

Sammy and Mumbles shied away from me for no reason in particular. The water we have in buckets are before the fencing of our house yard. We have two acres of house yard and another three acres of padocks for our horses and a large dam. I am not good with distances, though I can ask my Husband later tonight if that helps.

Perhaps Snake Catcher can help :) There are a lot of people with dogs in runs on DOL.

Are you able to crate them inside during the hotter months and if you are not home? Just a thought :)

Thanks Nic.B - Unfortunately I cant crate them during the day (too long in a crate. I have looked at what other Dolers have done with their dog runs but when the runs were built, the actual run/fencing part doesnt sit flush with the edge of the concrete pad (sits in on it) so I cant put shade cloth up the sides and run into down and dig it into the ground and I havent been able to figure out any other solution to that :confused:

Sounds like we have similar set up - we have about an acre of house/yard and dog run area and then two and half acres of paddocks. No dam though - my OH wants one but I've always said no thinking of it attracting snakes, but to be honest it hasnt seem to make any difference - we still get them (snakes). :(

My friend lives only a couple if minutes drive from here in the same area - they have a dam at the front of their house and have been there 3 years and not seen a snake yet..... go figure.....

Ams - sounds like your woofers had a lucky escape...