Agility Nationals 2012

Vickie

Thanks for all the awesome info guys, that combined with the videos has given me an idea of things to work on, might have to get down to K9 on a busy day to get her used to working with noise in the under cover area, and I think I might set my weaves up on the beach or in my very sandy backyard! :laugh:

The new chute worries me a bit, hopefully my clubs will have one to practice on soon!

Thanks again, glad it was a successful day

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new chute worries me a bit, hopefully my clubs will have one to practice on soon!

Don't worry too much about it. As I sad, I only saw one dog baulk at it, and I do not think any dogs had actually had a practice on it. The start looks like a normal tunnel, and once they are in it, it looks like an ordinary chute tunnel.

Cheers,

Stupid question....my sister lives in Balmain. How feasible would it be to stay there and drive every morning to get to the arena (given I have never driven in Sydney before...)?

Balmain is inner western Sydney, the SIEC is outer western Sydney. It would probably take you an hour each way. It is a fairly easy trip. It is not too difficult getting from Balmain onto the M4 motorway (which is a toll free road) then going left at Wallgrove road and then left into the equestirain centre. You would be travelling against the main flow of peak hour traffic, although it would be a little hectic at the start of the trip.

Cheers,

I saw a few dogs (varying degrees of experience) go into the chute, realise it wasn't a tunnel and then come back out, but as soon as the handlers directed them back into it they did without issue. I think it was just the initial thinking it was a tunnel then realising it was closed, I didn't see any dogs not want to do it. In saying that I deliberately kept Charlie away from it, he has enough issues with chutes as it is and it took a bit of work to get him going through tunnels again after his initial chute scare, I didn't want to turn him off a normal tunnel before I had a chance to train him on the new chute.

The other thing I saw which never even occured to me as something to train the dogs for is how to go through a tyre that has broken away. I saw a few dogs (once again varying levels of experience) unsure of what to do when faced with the tyre that had broken apart in the centre. All they had to do was run through the frame (like running through uprights with no bar) but I don't think many people have thought to expose a dog to that.

CFS- We were told on Saturday morning that the 2 rings had been prepared differently so that a decision could be made as to which one people preferred? The jumping ring was considerably softer even before any equipment was set up so definitely not the same preparation.

The other thing I thought of later which may be an issue for consideration- how would the "less able" competitors access the inside rings? I know I had trouble with my knees walking an excitedly pulling dog down those stairs and into the rings, I had to grip the handrail pretty tightly and I consider myself to be a pretty able bodied person. I imagine those narrow steps may be difficult for some people to manage, especially with a dog in tow. The far ring I guess could be accessed through the livestock entry, not sure about the closer ring though. Perhaps that has already been considered and I am sure there will be ways around it, especially with 5months still to go.

We checked out what we think will be the outdoor rings, (assuming we read the map correctly) and they look great. Reminds me of the flat, manicured rings in Perth :D

Yes Trixie got caught in the old chute once when it was cold and wet so she hates them as well (I hate them too) she usually refuses them but goes through reluctantly the second time... that's why I'm worried about the new chute because I don't want her to go in thinking it's a tunnel and then scare herself and decide all tunnels are bad!

Since I started trialing her early November I haven't had one ring that had a chute - once the new rules came in most judges stopped using them here. She has done the odd few at club training okay though. I do have a flexi tunnel at home so thinking about attaching a chute to it to get her used to it.

Outside rings sound great!

I saw a few dogs (varying degrees of experience) go into the chute, realise it wasn't a tunnel and then come back out, but as soon as the handlers directed them back into it they did without issue. I think it was just the initial thinking it was a tunnel then realising it was closed, I didn't see any dogs not want to do it. In saying that I deliberately kept Charlie away from it, he has enough issues with chutes as it is and it took a bit of work to get him going through tunnels again after his initial chute scare, I didn't want to turn him off a normal tunnel before I had a chance to train him on the new chute.

I do not remember the chute tunnel being used in anything but the strategic pairs ring, although I may not be correct in that. I did not see the novice class - and you nearly always get a couple of refusals in the chute in the novice class, anyway. Only the one dog in excellent or masters strategic pairs had an issue with the chute tunel, and I was watching every dog very closely!

Amypie, just tying a blanket over the end of a compressed pipe tunnel would go a long way to prepare your dog for the new chute tunnel. The chute iself is now quite short and very flared. Some dogs seemed to have a surprised look on their face when they came out the other end so quickly!

CFS- We were told on Saturday morning that the 2 rings had been prepared differently so that a decision could be made as to which one people preferred? The jumping ring was considerably softer even before any equipment was set up so definitely not the same preparation.

I am not sure who told you, Delta Charlie, that the rings were prepared differently, but Keith organised the ring preparation and I was actually standing about 2 metres away at the time. He assures me that he did not change his request for the whole of the arena to be hard packed, so any variation was not intentional. The original intention was to prepare the two halves differently. But after our experience when HDAC used the Horseworld arena, it was decided to just have the whole arena hard packed.

So the one thing we have learnt is that we will have to ask the SIEC guys to be pretty thorough about their ring preparations. Regardless, the dogs ran well on the surface. It is just that they created a few more divots and made it a little more uneven for us to run on. It did not seem to create any real problems. And I am sure it will be sorted out by June.

I am sure you were looking at the correct grass arena. It is 100 metres x 50 metres of beautiful flat grass surrounded by a post and rail fence. They will be putting 3 rings in this area, with cabanas etc around the outside.

Your comments about less abled people using the stairs: I would think that most people who could get around an agility ring would be able to get up and down the stairs. The system has been sorted out so that you do not need to rush. There may be exceptions to this rule. It is certainly true that people in wheelchairs do agility (and so they should be able to!) but I do not know of any in Australia. There is the lower entry if necessary, although I think that is being kept for equipment access. If necessary, I am sure something will be organised.

I am sure the one thing we can agree on is that it was a great trial and that is gives promise of an exceptionally good Nationals trial.

It is certainly true that people in wheelchairs do agility (and so they should be able to!) but I do not know of any in Australia.

We have 2 in Victoria. :)

How fantastic. If they decide to come to the Nationals, I am sure they will be catered for. There is the downstairs entrance, and the grassed rings are nice and smooth-I am sure they would be as good as any grassed surface for wheelchairs.

Cheers,

3 of our own dogs baulked at the chute and they are all in SPDM, thats how I know there were more than 1. I wasn't deliberately looking for it or anything LOL. Like I said though, they all went through straight after so it was no issue. Would have been given a refusal if it had been in a normal course but didn't matter for pairs and I noticed dogs weren't required to change if they started to go in, I guess because their whole body hadn't entered the obstacle? I dunno, I don't judge and I admire those who do because it would not be my cup of tea :)

The other thing that may have actually caused hesitation with the chute (for those who weren't there) is that it was sitting between 2 normal tunnels so perhaps being faced with 3 tunnel entries was the part that caused the dogs to think twice rather than the actual obstacle itself.

In regards to the rings, perhaps there was a miscommunication that has caused confusion. Either among the committee members or possibly even with SIEC. We arrived a little after 6am and Margaret asked us to walk across the surface with her to show her which one was more like the surface at Tamworth. She said that they were using it as an opportunity to try out 2 different surface preparations and there was a definite point in the middle where it became harder packed, almost in a dead straight line. Then when we were setting up the equipment we were discussing it with Eddie and Ashley about whether or not the agility should go into the softer ring as it generally requires less turning by handler and dog than a jumping course would. Eddie decided that putting jumping in there would be the ultimate test for the softer preparation and allow people to really make the decision on which one they preferred. I seem to recall Keith putting something on the list a few weeks ago (possibly even last week, I have school holiday brain at the moment) about testing out different ring preparations. Perhaps we have all misinterpreted what he wrote and it has gone from there. Either way, I think the surface will be great and I am really looking forward to June now :)

It is actually one of the ladies in Vic that I was thinking of, her name escapes me but she runs a high drive kelpie in masters and had a younger one that she was training last time we were down there. She stands in the middle of the course and directs the dog from pretty much that one spot with verbals and arms. I love watching her dog run, I find it incredibly inspiring to watch and the bond between them is just magical.

As I said, I can't wait for the nationals now. I think the atmosphere in there is going to be electric and the dogs just love running on that surface. Last weekend was a great test run and I think it went incredibly well. The committee did a wonderful job of getting it all organised and I know they will do a wonderful job at the nationals too. Bring on June!

It is actually one of the ladies in Vic that I was thinking of, her name escapes me but she runs a high drive kelpie in masters and had a younger one that she was training last time we were down there. She stands in the middle of the course and directs the dog from pretty much that one spot with verbals and arms. I love watching her dog run, I find it incredibly inspiring to watch and the bond between them is just magical.

You're thinking of Sandra - yeah, she does an amazing job with her kelpie and if she happens to get an open flowing type course where she doesn't have to move too much, then he will give any dog here a run for the money. Awesome gamblers dog.

I wasn't including her with the handlers who work from wheelchairs, but you're right, she would defintely have trouble negotiating stairs too, so good to hear there is another entrance if needed.

Just how steep are these stairs out of curiousity if I do decide to enter. (Still procrastinating, I'm hopeless) Some of the descriptions posted on the agility list make them sound like the stairs from hell. :laugh:

Just how steep are these stairs out of curiousity if I do decide to enter. (Still procrastinating, I'm hopeless) Some of the descriptions posted on the agility list make them sound like the stairs from hell. :laugh:

Honestly, they are not that bad. My dogs have not done many stairs, and although they were a little careful, they did not baulk. With any luck this attached photos will show the bottom of the stairs.

Edit:

*$#^(*)%& it did not work. I will try to post the photo of the stairs.

Edited by canine fun sports

What you can see in that photo is perhaps the lower half of them? So perhaps that many again, possibly a little less. Most dogs didn't blink at the stairs, it was more the handlers that had to make sure they weren't pulled down by their overly enthusiastic dogs lol. I have shonky knees so was extra careful, I have trouble with stairs at the best of times and wouldn't consider walking down them without a knee brace even without the dog. The stairs themselves are solid concrete, just a little narrow (1/2 to 3/4 of a shoe length) which made them seem more daunting than they should have been. Charlie loved them and kept trying to go up and down them while we were waiting for our turn :rolleyes: He also tried giving me 2O2O with nose touches on them... sily boy.

It would also depend on how competitive you are I guess. A few of the older competitors (60+) mentioned that they just may not enter opens and limit their runs on the day that their height was running inside so they didn't need to negotiate them too many times. For your average person they will not be any issue at all though and they certainly shouldn't be a deciding factor on whether or not you should come.

The seating is only 4 rows high so not very high at all, it is also ascends at a pretty low angle so it doesn't feel like you are near the edge or anything. In all honesty I don't think I paid any attention to the height all weekend and I can get a bit funny with heights myself.

Thanks amypie - that all looks doable. Looking at the schedule I think most of my stuff would be outdoors anyway (400 dog, as novice as you can get!). Which leads me to question # 234. Both my dog and I are true newbies (he is my first agility dog, never trialled but will get some in before the nationals). I want to come and watch and, if I'm going all that way, I would want to bring Fergus with me and give it a go. Is there an expectation that, because this is the nationals, it will be all serious, super great competitors only etc?