Agility Nationals 2012

Vickie

Thanks amypie - that all looks doable. Looking at the schedule I think most of my stuff would be outdoors anyway (400 dog, as novice as you can get!). Which leads me to question # 234. Both my dog and I are true newbies (he is my first agility dog, never trialled but will get some in before the nationals). I want to come and watch and, if I'm going all that way, I would want to bring Fergus with me and give it a go. Is there an expectation that, because this is the nationals, it will be all serious, super great competitors only etc?

Better not be if I'm going! We're hopeless! But I'm not going to let it stop us having fun and giving it a crack :)

Don't worry about it thumbsup1.gif

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God no, if our pups are ready to compete it will be their first (or possibly 2nd) comp ever. They wont be old enough to get any more in than that. I think they are 18months old the Saturday before so hoping to get a few runs in at the Canberra long weekend trial so at least they (and us) know what to expect out there LOL

Really it is just a normal trial with people from all over the country. These are the same dogs that are out there competing each weekend, they just happen to be all in the same place for this comp. There will be dogs and handlers with all degrees of experience, some will be better than others but hopefully everyone just getting out there and enjoying this sport with their dogs. It is a great opportunity to watch some of the most experienced handlers from around the country and get an idea of how they do things. I have only been to one nationals (WA 2010) and I thoroughly enjoyed watching all the other competitors, particularly the finals and I learnt a lot about agility from observing the more experienced agility handlers.

Megan - Absolutely not!

When we had the Nationals in WA, I thought it would only be hardcore serious super competitive people, I was so wrong, there were dogs and handlers of all shapes, sizes and skill levels coming from all over the coutry, it was brilliant.

I entered my particularly novice first agility dog and had a blast, even if there were a lot of messy moments :rofl: Also I found quite a few people entered their dog perhaps a little earlier than they would have if there was no Nationals, so that they could take part. It was all good fun and when the finals were on everyone sat and watched each run at a time and cheered every dog and handler afterwards, even the ones who got stage fright (both people and dogs :laugh: )

ETA my final word is definitely go if you can, it is a lot of fun, no matter how you and your dog go :laugh:

Edited by amypie

WE can have our own DOL competition: most hysterical performance :-). I will be on my lonesome so it would be good to meet a few DOLers there.

If I end up going I will be heading up from Victoria as well and will be entered in Novice as well :)

God no, if our pups are ready to compete it will be their first (or possibly 2nd) comp ever. They wont be old enough to get any more in than that. I think they are 18months old the Saturday before so hoping to get a few runs in at the Canberra long weekend trial so at least they (and us) know what to expect out there LOL

Same here, though I am hoping she gets at least one comp in before hand, she handles new situations very well and usually trains inside a horse arena thing but I would like to have a trial before jumping in the deep end with her :laugh:

Hey all DSO and I are hopefully ordering new martingale tug leads (LOL we have a leash addiction) hopefully in Green and Gold with 2012 ANKC Nationals on it and the dogs names.. kinda something to commerate our first nationals.. Im just waiting on a quote to come back with the price and shipping cost if anyone else may be interested in this idea drop me a PM!!

Im very excited :) not too long to go :D :D

So can you crate your dogs somewhere safely and watch from the chairs if you have enough time to do so?

You sure can. I believe that they are organising the removal of some of the benches on the concourse to increase the area for dogs crates, too. It is one of the suggestions that came out of last Saturday's trial.

Cheers,

Is there an expectation that, because this is the nationals, it will be all serious, super great competitors only etc?

Others have already answered this question, but I would like to add my two cents worth.

The only expectations are that as many people who want to be part of this huge event (it will probably be the largest dog competition ever in Australia) will come an have fun. Some well trained dogs will do great runs, and some will crash and burn. (We know that feeling well). Some novice dogs will surprise their handlers by getting it all together on one or two runs, but others will be over awed by the situation. That does not mean they still won't have fun though. Everyone is encouraged to give it a go. The organisers are just as serious about the novice competition as the masters.

Certainly the arena gives it an extra edge of excitement, even more so that other Nationals I have been to (and I have been to plenty). It is a real fun buzz to compete in there, and it is certainly not just for the elite handler. It feels a little like being in our own Olympics, or world championships.

And it is also a great opportunity to put faces to names of all those people we know via DOL and other computer forums. It is a great chance to enjoy each others company and exchange ideas about agility.

Megan - Absolutely not!

When we had the Nationals in WA, I thought it would only be hardcore serious super competitive people, I was so wrong, there were dogs and handlers of all shapes, sizes and skill levels coming from all over the coutry, it was brilliant.

That relieving! I was getting a little worried because the nationals might be one of our first trials running in masters and I'm not the most graceful handler. :laugh:

Hey all DSO and I are hopefully ordering new martingale tug leads (LOL we have a leash addiction) hopefully in Green and Gold with 2012 ANKC Nationals on it and the dogs names.. kinda something to commerate our first nationals.. Im just waiting on a quote to come back with the price and shipping cost if anyone else may be interested in this idea drop me a PM!!

Im very excited :) not too long to go :D :D

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

How many stairs are there? I have a bad back so walking down stairs hurts a lot. I'm also terrified of heights and can't sit near the top of stadium seating - is it like that?

A further comment on this topic, I am cross posting this (with permission) from the Agility Australia Yahoo group, written by Julia Barnett:

<<... it's the arena itself that is 'downstairs' - actually you access the surrounding areas, the walkways, the top row of seats, the toilets, the canteen area etc. all from ground floor level. When you walk into the venue you stand and look down on the arena. So except when you are actually preparing for a run by going downstairs to the arena, you should be OK.

I have a fear of heights too (ask my daughters about having to 'protect' me going down escalators!!) but this venue is a breeze, not even as bad as the stalls in a theatre! >>

Thanks cfs. I think I'm going to come along to it - even if we do terribly it sounds like we'll have a good time.

No such thing as doing terribly, if you are having a good time.

Off on a tangent topic:

There is no such thing as a bad run - just a run that we use to learn what we need to train!

I think some of us have to adjust our attitudes a bit. To me, enjoyment should come from pariticapation in an event, from challenging yourself to improve, rather that from and actual result. The results, if they come, are just dessert. I cannot say I ran well last Saturday. But the fun of participating was fabulous. The Nationals, in general, are an experience worth participating in, but I think the venue will make this one extra special.

I will try to get off my soapbox now. I have had far too much time of late to get on the internet, and it shows, by the number of posts I have done lately.

Cheers,

Don't get me wrong, cfs, I always have fun, that is why I do agility. I always praise my boy for the good job he does despite my handling. I'm just being self deprecating (as most people are, I've seen some of RubyStar's videos on here - far from bad!)

Cfs I fully agree with your post :) since changing my attitude of just trying to get what I get at home and forgetting about everything else I have found both den and I are having fun :)

Well all our enteries but opens are paid for Den so we shall see you guys there :)

Edited by smisch

I hope to go as a spectator only. I've been going to the agility at the Sydney Royal every year since it's been at Homebush & I love to watch it. I tried agility years ago with my 1st BC but due to her re-activity & my ineptness at following the course I gave it away.

What are the details for spectators such as parking & how much to attend? Or when will they be available?

I hope to go as a spectator only. I've been going to the agility at the Sydney Royal every year since it's been at Homebush & I love to watch it. I tried agility years ago with my 1st BC but due to her re-activity & my ineptness at following the course I gave it away.

What are the details for spectators such as parking & how much to attend? Or when will they be available?

Hi luvsdogs,

I do not think the spectator info is up yet, but check the website for information. The website is listed on the first posting on this topic, so just go back to Vickie's first post on page one.

Cheers,