Aust Officials To Kill Pit Bulls, Other 'dangerous' Breeds

lmwvic

But shouldn't they have just declared the collie dangerous and not euthanized him?

I have to walk Fiona in another area so I don't have to muzzle her. Is declaring a dog 'dangerous' meaning the dog must be muzzled and on lead everywhere?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zuri,

Thats a common attitude.Sorry to say tho' that because of the hysteria regarding dog attacks,local councills in many area are coming down very hard on any "Large" dog with a complaint against it no matter how minor.Not just in Victoria either.

Muzzles to worn in public at all times from puppy hood etc.Dogs automaticaly seized and destroyed for ANY bite reported.Even when that bite is accidental.

A dog pt after the muzzle she was forced to wear all her life at the dog park came off and she finaly managed to grab one of those out of controll SWFies. Her jaws closed on her owners hand when it was released and that was enough for council and the (either vindictive or frightened)owner of the SWF.Who incidentaly,HAD attacked 2 other dogs unprovoked.

Lots of other incidenst comming to light,not always with such serious out comes,but way too often it is.

They may not be ready to ban out right other breeds,buts they can make life very hard and dangerous for them anyway.And they are.

The planned rallies are a huge step and can do a lot for all dog owners if we support them.

What dogs besides restricted breeds and greyhounds wear a muzzle from puppyhood? Which council is automatically seizing and destroying dogs? It sounds like you are making this up, but if you are not, you need to provide more information.

If a dog bites it may be declared dangerous, but it will only be seized and euthanised if it's owner refuses to pay the fines, if they refuse to keep it as required, or if the dog is a repeat offender.

The new laws are bad enough without the needless scaremongering.

Not scare mongering,bloody terrified after hearing this though.

I heard of the above incident in Lithgow.

I was told by the owners of the dog she was pt after an incident.

The owners mother took her own small dog and this one to the dog park.A smaller dog was annoying her,then moved on to attack her smaller companion.The muzzle came off and she grabbed the SWF when it attacked her smaller companion.The woman grabbed her quickly and freed the smaller dog but said "when Mum got her jaws open and freed the little dog her jaws closed on mums hand. It was reported as a dog bite by the owner of the SWF and they took her away.We tried to fight it but lost" (Having no idea where to turn)

When I asked why the dog was muzzled in the 1st place,thinking there were some previous issues,they told me that when they registered their dog they were told that "As a large breed,it must be muzzled at all times in public" The owners did not question this,but abided by it.

No excuse for attacking the small dog,she should have had better controll but by the same token, abiding by such a decree IMO is setting the dog up for failure,especialy if dog parks are where they are going to learn their manners.

This was a X guardian breed,no resemblance whatso ever to a pitt and matured about the size of a Kepie.No previous indication of aggression or complaints I believe.

Edited by moosmum

I was reading all the DPI Vic info today and was shocked to see well behaved American Pit Bulls used in the breed identification fact sheet. Some were not attached to a lead and not one was wearing a muzzle. How unsafe the photographer must've felt in the presence of this killing machine of a breed! It's non-sensical really - targetting all APBs as too dangerous to live in society while clearly showing images of actual dogs displaying nothing threatening and not being restrained! Even if those dogs came from another state or country it doesn't make sense to target the whole breed!

Zuri,

Thats a common attitude.Sorry to say tho' that because of the hysteria regarding dog attacks,local councills in many area are coming down very hard on any "Large" dog with a complaint against it no matter how minor.Not just in Victoria either.

Muzzles to worn in public at all times from puppy hood etc.Dogs automaticaly seized and destroyed for ANY bite reported.Even when that bite is accidental.

A dog pt after the muzzle she was forced to wear all her life at the dog park came off and she finaly managed to grab one of those out of controll SWFies. Her jaws closed on her owners hand when it was released and that was enough for council and the (either vindictive or frightened)owner of the SWF.Who incidentaly,HAD attacked 2 other dogs unprovoked.

Lots of other incidenst comming to light,not always with such serious out comes,but way too often it is.

They may not be ready to ban out right other breeds,buts they can make life very hard and dangerous for them anyway.And they are.

The planned rallies are a huge step and can do a lot for all dog owners if we support them.

What dogs besides restricted breeds and greyhounds wear a muzzle from puppyhood? Which council is automatically seizing and destroying dogs? It sounds like you are making this up, but if you are not, you need to provide more information.

If a dog bites it may be declared dangerous, but it will only be seized and euthanised if it's owner refuses to pay the fines, if they refuse to keep it as required, or if the dog is a repeat offender.

Not scare mongering,bloody terrified after hearing this though.

I heard of the above incident in Lithgow.

I was told by the owners of the dog she was pt after an incident.

The owners mother took her own small dog and this one to the dog park.A smaller dog was annoying her,then moved on to attack her smaller companion.The muzzle came off and she grabbed the SWF when it attacked her smaller companion.The woman grabbed her quickly and freed the smaller dog but said "when Mum got her jaws open and freed the little dog her jaws closed on mums hand. It was reported as a dog bite by the owner of the SWF and they took her away.We tried to fight it but lost" (Having no idea where to turn)

When I asked why the dog was muzzled in the 1st place,thinking there were some previous issues,they told me that when they registered their dog they were told that "As a large breed,it must be muzzled at all times in public" The owners did not question this,but abided by it.

No excuse for attacking the small dog,she should have had better controll but by the same token, abiding by such a decree IMO is setting the dog up for failure,especialy if dog parks are where they are going to learn their manners.

This was a X guardian breed,no resemblance whatso ever to a pitt and matured about the size of a Kepie.No previous indication of aggression or complaints I believe.

Sounds like poor naive people conned by fools :cry:

Someone else can't report a dog biting another person, the woman in control of the dog only had to deny that the dog bit her and the report ends, something doesn't sound right here :confused:

mmm, my collie was seized and euthanized for ONE NIP. I didn't refuse to pay the fine(I have paid it) I wasn't told I was required to keep him in a certain way to have him returned and he was a 23 month old puppy that I'd had for under 2 months when this 'incident' occurred.

This isn't scaremongering, it's the truth!

PS - My staffy x is also required to wear a muzzle when off the property. She didn't bite, but she's 'menacing' according to Monash Council.

I wouldn't believe a single word you say.

Well I believe you happens where I live all the time. One bite or nip, no second chance, seized unless surrendered for euthanasia.

It's still school holidays isn't it.

I take offence to that.

My work involves speaking with victims on a weekly basis and holding their beloved animals while they are sent to the bridge.

No scaremongering, FACT, sadly. Now with the new laws and even more empowerment many of us are in for some horrendous times.

It's still school holidays isn't it.

I take offence to that.

My work involves speaking with victims on a weekly basis and holding their beloved animals while they are sent to the bridge.

No scaremongering, FACT, sadly. Now with the new laws and even more empowerment many of us are in for some horrendous times.

Ditto.

Ridicule is the last thing these people need to see here after I have recommended them to DOL.

They are absolutley heart broken.A little dog who slept in their beds,went with them on every holliday,and was known for her love of children is dead.Likely after spending her last days in a kennel for the 1st time in her short life.

I keep picturing her being led out for her needle with her tail wagging and a grin on her face thinking her owners will be there waiting.

This was not an irresponsible home.It was not a dangerous dog.It was not a bull breed.Not in Victoria.

Its far from an issolated incident and will get worse.You may not see this on DOL very often,but you do.In most cases its resolved easily when people are armed with the CORRECT info. The average Man-on-the-street who doesn't know where to turn doesn't have that help and are easily taken advantage of by dishonest and ignorant officials.

Edited by moosmum