I Understand It, I Just Cant Do It.

Kirislin

I know that often a great photo is all about telling a story. I just cant seem to do it. I feel my photos lack soul, they're just snapshots taken with a really good camera, so sometime I get some good ones, mainly action. It frustrates me sometimes that I lack that creative eye that I think is the key. Any tips on how I might be able to cultivate it. I was thinking maybe street photography, but I'm a bit shy about it, always scared someone's going to bail me up and tell me to piss off. The only time I did it I feel I did capture something, it was Anzac day last year, but I felt like I was intruding. I dont know this man but I've seen him since in the supermarket. I always feel like going up and saying hello to him, but then I remember, he doesn't know me.

4549380353_960b39bc73_z.jpg4549380349_9a2b708e6a_z.jpg

He certainly has a face which tells his story! I am certainly no people photographer ... but love looking at faces like his :) ..and the lady examining those medals ..just beautiful .

My eyes kept on going to the red i background , tho... so did a very quick/rough tweak to maybe bring the eye straight to your gorgeous old man and his thoughts/memories .. :o apologies if I messsed it up .

post-1359-0-60390000-1317602863_thumb.jpg

Edited by persephone

I think your idea of street photography is a good one. If it's a story you feel you are missing, then you need to go try to capture shots that will tell a story. IMHO a good place to start is don't try to capture the story - try to capture a moment that you create a story for. Like, you don't need to be at an event - there are minisagas happening everywhere you look in the city.

Stories with people are usually all about their faces so it's important to take multiple shots, I think, as a fraction of a second can make a world of difference.

Some people have a natural ability on timing and seeing a story, others have to work it, some fall in the middle somewhere. But just like anything, being brave and getting out and doing it, then really considering your results is the only way to get there.

That first shot certainly does tell a story so you can do it :)

Longer might be better if you have it. A little space between you and your subject can let you be a bit stealthier. Either either - any lens will work, of course!

Have fun! Looking forward to seeing the results.

My personal favourite for stealth moves if someone busts me taking their photo is to completely ignore them. If they're walking toward me as they bust me I keep my camera fixed on the spot they've just come from so it looks like whatever I was photographing wasn't them. If they're sitting or standing still when they bust me I move the camera so it's slightly to one side of them or looking above them (depending on where you are) and act like I'm taking another photo of a building or whatever happens to be there.

That is soooo funny Snook - exactly what I do :rofl:

Plus, if busted and they start walking towards me, I then look annoyed and move to the side to "re focus" as though they are now blocking the view of what I was trying to photograph.

Certainly not for the faint hearted - probably why I am crap at it and admire Snook!

Annie

Kirislin, I love your photo's.Theres about 7 photographers whose work I love looking at and yours one of them...I didn't even know you don't edit.Don't sell yourself short.I am the only one in this family whose not artistic.I have singers,dancers,drawing/painting.I am a writer/poet but sometimes find it hard to be creative in shooting photo's.I find I have to sit down and really think about what I want to achieve before heading out some days.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you want to try street and are worries about people bailing you up, or feel uncomfortable flailing around a big DSLR, use your camera phone.

The latest phones have great cameras built in and no one notices you when you just wandering around with your phone out.

If you want to try street and are worries about people bailing you up, or feel uncomfortable flailing around a big DSLR, use your camera phone.

The latest phones have great cameras built in and no one notices you when you just wandering around with your phone out.

:laugh: I think I'm one of the last people in the world who doesn't have a mobile phone.