Further Changes To Grand Title

Trisven13

Hi - I heard earlier today that apparently the requirements for a Grand Champion are being changed back to the old system and that there is going to be a new title called a Supreme Grand which will require 10 BIG or BIS (can't remember the details as it was a rushed conversation) - apologies if I've missed this elsewhere, I did a quick search but I'm completely useless at searching.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi - I heard earlier today that apparently the requirements for a Grand Champion are being changed back to the old system and that there is going to be a new title called a Supreme Grand which will require 10 BIG or BIS (can't remember the details as it was a rushed conversation) - apologies if I've missed this elsewhere, I did a quick search but I'm completely useless at searching.

Supremre Grand *snort* Sounds a bit like "double secret probation" (for fans of Animal House) Do we REALLY need another conformation title to encourage a handful of exhibitors to hunt more points the length and breadth of the country.

How about this as a radical idea. No further titles or higher titles on any dog that hasn't produced the goods in the whelping box.

If a "Supreme Grand" Champion had to produce a minium of titled dogs (more for dogs than bitches), it might shake things up a bit. It's more than a tad ironic that a system that supposedly is about selecting the best breeding dogs has no factor within it that actually tests that the dogs can produce the goods.

Edited by poodlefan

*snort* Do we REALLY need another conformation title?

How about this as a radical idea. No further titles or higher titles on any dog that hasn't produced the goods in the whelping box.

If a "Supreme Grand" Champion had to produce a minium of 4 titled dogs, it might shake things up a bit.

Whilst I agree that a higher title like that should require the dog to have produced the goods it does stand to create a problem...

It is VERY rare that I would ever breed a bitch more than once; I try to get it right the first time.

I don't often run on more than one or two puppies, I don't often allow puppies out into show homes.

Whilst a previous litter produced 4 Champions (from her one and only litter), it's more common for it to be 1 or 2.

I'm not going to then go and breed a bitch a second time for the sake of a title?

If a "Supreme Grand" Champion had to produce a minium of 4 titled dogs, it might shake things up a bit.

Whilst I agree that a higher title like that should require the dog to have produced the goods it does stand to create a problem...

It is VERY rare that I would ever breed a bitch more than once; I try to get it right the first time.

I don't often run on more than one or two puppies, I don't often allow puppies out into show homes.

Whilst a previous litter produced 4 Champions (from her one and only litter), it's more common for it to be 1 or 2.

I'm not going to then go and breed a bitch a second time for the sake of a title?

Then for bitches we set the numbers lower.

Then for bitches we set the numbers lower.

Why didn't I think of that? :)

I like what you're saying Poodlefan.

I doubt it will attract popular support. We could also add "must be certified clear of all inheritable conditions that can be tested for". That would rule out a few current GR CHs.

The idea that the conformation ring is the be all and end all of selecting breeding dogs is a nonsense IMO. If we're going to have bigger and better titles then they should have some kind of additional requirement. Be nice to see dogs that still perform a function being required to have a title at the other end of their names too. There are a few appitude/instinct tests at least that could be used.

Edited by poodlefan

Supremre Grand *snort* Sounds a bit like "double secret probation" (for fans of Animal House) Do we REALLY need another conformation title to encourage a handful of exhibitors to hunt more points the length and breadth of the country.

If a "Supreme Grand" Champion had to produce a minium of titled dogs (more for dogs than bitches), it might shake things up a bit. It's more than a tad ironic that a system that supposedly is about selecting the best breeding dogs has no factor within it that actually tests that the dogs can produce the goods.

hear hear!

It is on the agenda to be discussed at the AGM to be held on 15th/16TH October, 2011 - nothing has been decided on yet, because the AGM has not yet been held.

(However I know many States support going back to the old system)

Edited by SwaY

[quote name='poodlefan' timestamp='1317949625' post='5530299'

I doubt it will attract popular support. We could also add "must be certified clear of all inheritable conditions that can be tested for". That would rule out a few current GR CHs.

I wouldn't support it because they makes the people who own one dog or bitch who never plaln to breed be ousted from the show ring through no fault of there own.

I have 3 Grand Champs all Multi BIS winners but i don't breed those 3 breeds i purely indulge in the joys of owning & showing .

They are all males & if they are used at stud fine & dandy.

Grand Ch should be suitable for all people in the dog world not just breeders.

As for dragging dogs around for the title not everyone does that .I live in a state with limited shows & have grand titled all mine at 3 years & under,all big winners .

My current Grand chapm would also qualify for the new method if brought in,he is 3 years old & a breed that doesn't peak until 7/8.

Isn't the ROM title for champs produced ??

[quote name='poodlefan' timestamp='1317949625' post='5530299'

I wouldn't support it because they makes the people who own one dog or bitch who never plaln to breed be ousted from the show ring through no fault of there own.

I have 3 Grand Champs all Multi BIS winners but i don't breed those 3 breeds i purely indulge in the joys of owning & showing .

Hardly 'ousted' from the show ring. Simply ineligible for another title beyond GR CH that says something about a dog's ability to produce quality progeny. If we don't care about breeding prospects then the neuters should be competing alongside the entires.

If people don't choose to breed, they simply don't apply for it. :shrug: Some acknowledgement that a dog lives up to its potential as a stud animal can't be a bad thing can it?

I've got no plans to breed either but I think there are larger issues for the show scene than whether or not I can apply for a title on my dogs that requires a dog to produce champion progeny.

I have a friend with a GR CH that's produced 41 champion progeny... surely that's deserving of recognition. Who knows, it might encourage a few folk to actually allow their dogs to be bred and to sell a few more pups to show homes. :eek:

I find the idea of the finest examples of a breed not passing on their genes a bit sad really.

Edited by poodlefan