Best Dog Story Books

koolietas

I have recently finished two books by David Kennard - a working shepherd in North Devon, UK called 'A Shepherd's Watch' and 'The Dogs of Windcutter Down'. They were both really great books and not only a great read if you are interesting in sheep herding with your dogs, but just in general...I now know lots about lambing! His anecdotes about his dogs are fabulous! They sound like real characters...

Earlier in the year, I read a book called "Finding Jack" by Gareth Crocker which I read in one evening (albeit until about 3am!) as I could not put it down until I had finished it. It is based on actual events of a soldier in Vietnam hoping to die in combat as he had lost his family in an accident prior to leaving for the war - but came across a lost Labrador in the middle of the jungle. To cut a long story short, they became a working service team and once the war ended, the soldier was instructed to leave the Labrador as the US government labelled all service dogs as 'surplus military equipment' and would not allow them to return home. I won't give away the ending, but can highly recommend.

I have this week just started a book called 'Saving Private Sarbi' written by Sandra Lee. Some may recall the story of this Lab x that was a trained explosives detection dog that went missing during combat in Afghanistan for 13 months only to be found by an American Special Forces troop and returned home to Australia.

So...these books that I have recently read, have got me thinking about what others I should add to my list to read...

Any suggestions?

Edited by koolietas

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That last one sounds like a book I need to read!

One I recommend to any dog love is 'A Dog's Purpose'. Absolutely incredible read, I loved it dearly and have reread it several times. A dog named Bailey gets reincarnated as different dogs, each time learning something crucial to his next life. The perspective is so utterly canine, you can really believe that's how a dog would think and feel. I don't have enough good things to say about this book :)

One I recommend to any dog love is 'A Dog's Purpose'. Absolutely incredible read, I loved it dearly and have reread it several times. A dog named Bailey gets reincarnated as different dogs, each time learning something crucial to his next life. The perspective is so utterly canine, you can really believe that's how a dog would think and feel. I don't have enough good things to say about this book :)

I completely agree! :thumbsup: I just adore this book :)

I also like

Beautiful Joe - the autobiography of a dog (Marshall Saunders)

Through A Dog's Eyes (Jennfier Arnold)

I have just started reading the book about Sarbi and recently read Thunderdog - a guide dog working in the world trade centre on September 11 and how he helps his handler survive that day.

Edited by piper

"A Good Dog" by Jon Katz...the story of Orson, who changed my life. A true story about the author when he took in a troublesome 2yo border collie & their journey together as he tried to change an incredibly loyal but incredibly badly behaved dog & how it turned his life upsidedown. WARNING....you will need a box of tissues for this one :cry:

Dusty by Frank Dalby Davison

a working dog roaming free in the bush has a hard life - need tissues for this one

Great Working Dog Stories by Angela Goode & Mike Hayes

a compilation of short stories about working dogs, some happy, some sad

Dog Stories by James Herriot

a compilation of his chapters about dogs made into short stories

and for Saluki Lovers:

Living with Infidels The Diary of a Saluki - A Hound's Tail by Karen Ibbotson

written in the style of a diary, penned by "Stella" the Saluki, captured and enduring life with the infidels (her family) and their Kelb (Weimaraner)

I also like

if you have an ereader beautiful joe is free through amazon

Thanks for your replies everyone - some good suggestions there :)

I was given 'A Dog's Purpose' for my birthday a few months ago, so that shall be the next book to read.

I also bought 'Red Dog' after watching the movie a few weeks ago but not sure if I'm brave enough for that one yet lol.

"A Good Dog" by Jon Katz...the story of Orson, who changed my life. A true story about the author when he took in a troublesome 2yo border collie & their journey together as he tried to change an incredibly loyal but incredibly badly behaved dog & how it turned his life upsidedown. WARNING....you will need a box of tissues for this one :cry:

Jon Katz actually has quite a few about his various dogs and his little farm.

I have read A Good Dog, A Dog's Year and the Dogs of Bedlam Farm.

There is also of course Marley and Me.

A fictional story that I read about an Aussie Shepherd is Down From the Mountain. I bought it from Amazon for my kindle, not sure if it is available locally as a paperback.

Totally recommend 'a dogs purpose' too, one of the best books I've ever read

I also love 'the art of racing in the rain', it has a very similar feel to it

'from Baghdad with love' is a fantastic story of how far one US defense force person goes to rescue a stray puppy in the midst of downtown war torn Baghdad and bring him home to the US

And I have recently rediscovered my favorite childhood book which I am determined will be my daughter's favorite book-the diggingest dog. I had it memorised by the time I was 2 apparently!!!

And I have recently rediscovered my favorite childhood book which I am determined will be my daughter's favorite book-the diggingest dog. I had it memorised by the time I was 2 apparently!!!

Oooh, yes!! I loved the Diggingest Dog too. :thumbsup: Also "Go, Dog, Go!!"

Also, the Harry books - Harry the Dirtiest Dog, Harry and Rose etc etc...

Sonia

I also like

You have a link for that??? I can't find it on Amazon.

Horrie the Wog Dog - if you can find it.

We have a copy of this! The dog Horrie was named after my grandfather, Colonel Horace Plummer who was their senior officer in that regiment! I'll have to dig it out and read it again.

I read a few weeks ago a book called "One good dog" by Susan Wilson. About a dog which is part pitbull and bred to fight, and a man unexpectantly unemployed, and their lives colliding. Wonderfully told from the dog's perspective.

Let us know what you think when you read a Dog's Purpose... it really is amazing, it reminded me of the first time I ever read Black Beauty, so perfectly written :)

Oh... Red Dog was one of the saddest things I have ever watched. It certainly had it's share of laughs, but I was just heartbroken after watching it, since Red never got a happy ending... anyway I am going offtopic.

Has anybody ever read this one? http://www.amazon.com/Incredible-Journey-Sheila-Burnford/dp/0440226708/ref=cm_lmf_tit_20

It's what the movie Homeward Bound was based off of, seen the movies but never read the book.

Edited by Chris the Rebel Wolf

Chris I've read that a few times it's a good one. Childrens novel really but a nice read for adults too. I love Lassie come home (well I would!) and the books that Albert Payson Terhune wrote are wonderful too. The scholastic books did quite a few lovely short children's dog stories. Elyne Mitchell who wrote the Silver Brumby books also wrote one about a Dingo.

These are quite good for a light read too.

http://www.amazon.com/Bloodlines-Lovers-Mysteries-Susan-Conant/dp/0553298860/ref=sr_1_72?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1318290412&sr=1-72

And this one is really good too if you can find it.

http://www.amazon.com/DOG-VERSUS-CRIME-Story-Police/dp/B0000CKFMR/ref=sr_1_76?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1318290892&sr=1-76

Nop's trials is another one that's good. It's about a border collie and 3 sheep herding trials in the UK.

I also like

You have a link for that??? I can't find it on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Joe-Autobiography-Dog-ebook/dp/B000JMKX3I/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1318296041&sr=1-1