Where Are Your Dogs During The Day

Ok so i have to talk to my neighbour today, she is having issues with my dogs, i will know more when i see her

we only have chain link fences the dogs can see through, and i know my older boy raz has always sat at that side fence and watched and ran up and back, now he is teaching my pup to do it (they have a small dog) though i think my pup is noiser and becoming a yapper when im not home.

now should i look at putting a tarp on the fence so they cant see through?? im not a very handy person that way though...

should i consider a citronella collar for willow? or should i be crating her when im not home (which i do atm now)

where do you put you're dogs when you are at work or going out? and can you please attach pics, i need to come up with a solution

ideally i want her in the yard, but i dont want her learning raz's bad habits and he wont take to being crated as well as willow does..

i will attach a pic of that side fence when i get home

My dogs are in dog runs - 2metres wide, 4 metres long, in a corner of the yard which is away from either neighbours house and garage, away from the rear fence (over which is a reserve) and back from the front fence. They have kennels which will keep them dry but not really intended to keep them warm or cool as they're not out if it's cold (as in below 5 degrees, freezing for Queensland!) and if it's stupidly hot they're inside in their crates in the aircon. I have always kennelled my dogs when I am out. If I'm going out for 1/2 an hour I will leave the oldest one outside for that amount of time, but the rest are either kennelled or in their crates.

Reasons....

1) They're Staffords. If something happens to get them over excited and they started fighting when no one was home to intervene one of the dogs would almost certainly die.

2) Any dog is capable of having a brain storm and deciding to give fence jumping/barging/digging a shot, especially if there's something exciting happening at the neighbour's place. They get out, they get on the road, they die (Staffords don't understand anything can hurt them, especially a mere car :laugh:)

3) Nutters abound. Opening a gate just for the hell of it is the least they could do. I don't worry about people climbing over the fence, all that would happen here is they would get licked to death, different breed could have a different result though. I worry about someone throwing something harmful over the fence (we live next door to a problem dog, nutters can easily get the address wrong :()

Mine are indoors, with a dog-door in the laundry to get out if they need to.

I find that if they can laze around on the couches all day they are much more settled. Occasionally they will go out an bark but much less than if they were always outside right next to all the exciting/frustrating suburban noises.

Do you have maybe even one room with outdoor access that you could designate for dogs, maybe pick up a cheap couch or throw some old blankets on the floor?

Also I'm thinking the tarp could go either way, it could stop them or it could make them more frustrated. Worth a try tho I guess?

weasels they are allowed in the laundry there is no other room for them but its a very small laundry. i also worry about the tarp being a short fence it might encourage them to jump to look over it so maybe i would have to heighten it first

:shrug:

Our 3 are indoors, my sisters dog is in her room, Buster has run of the house and Quinn is just now being transitioned from her crate to having the back room.

We started it this way when we had 4 dogs and they didn't all get on, when the anti social dog died we just kept it this way, I was going to move my two to the yard this summer but having seen so many snakes around already including a huge brown I'm just going to keep them indoors.

We're on 10 acres so we're lucky for that, my sisters dog occasionally barks when we leave but you pretty much can't hear it from the road.

We use to leave Mindy in the laundary if we needed to go out for a long time (as she digs in the garden and rips down trees!). But that was only a few times, I'm not sure I'd be happy with that arrangement all the time. Having said that I know a lot of dogs sleep most of the day (but I know mine wouldn't). One of our friends leave their dog in the house all day wit no problems.

weasels they are allowed in the laundry there is no other room for them but its a very small laundry. i also worry about the tarp being a short fence it might encourage them to jump to look over it so maybe i would have to heighten it first

:shrug:

Hmmm, maybe can you fit a few dog beds/old quilts on the laundry floor while you're out, so it is like a big kennel? somewhere they can feel safe and cosy without being distracted/woken by birds, bugs, wandering cats etc.?

I must say tho I'm not really qualified to help, since my two were out having a little bark at dawn the last 2 mornings :mad: Although to be fair the first time was in response to the cat chorus next door.

ETA: my main strategy for quiet day-time dogs is to never leave them at home alone unless they've had their morning run/fetch, off-leash, for about an hour. I give them a frozen kong or bone when I go out, and by the time they're done with all that they're pretty good at sleeping the day away. I'm lucky however that my job lets me start work a bit later so I get all this done in the morning, I realise it's not feasible for everyone.

Edited by Weasels

I had a similar situation and we where getting complaints from the neighbours.

I think blocking the fence for visability helps, but to stop the behaviour you need to get the dog away from the fence. So in addition to blocking visability do you have room to put up a temporary fence (that puppy fence in a wire roll and star pickets) about 1 metre inside the exisitng fencing?

I have used a citronella collar on four different dogs. On three it worked brilliantly, the forth would bark until he was soaked in the stuff and really did not care.

If they work they do so very quickly and IMO with much less fuss than a lot of other methods. Only downside, not much use if the dog learns when it's on and when it's not, or even better when it's on and working and when it's not (run out of spray or battery). Also, no use at all if there's another dog with a collar chewing fetish around....

Edited by Sandra777

Hi Dandybrush, been having similar issues with Stella barking during the as my 2 are outside during the day. Stella was barking at the birds in the tree in our backyard lots.

She only got worse the more I roused on her verbally, so i borrowed a citronella collar & it has done the trick. From the first time I put it on her she only barked once, it sprayed

she doesn't bark again. That was about 2 weeks ago, I don't have to put it on her everyday now & when I do I don't have to turn it on cause she stops barking as soon as I put it on her LOL.

Stella hates it & I felt mean but I didn't want complaints as our neighbours aren't very friendly. The collar was brought of EBay for $60. :wave:

Edited by BC Crazy

I think some councils hire citronella collars out. Maybe check with yours & see if they do?

My dog is inside all day if my OH and I are both working (he works different shifts). Initially it was because we had just adopted her and our neighbours were renovating, so it was to prevent her getting scared. She seemed happy, so we continued. Occasionally I will leave her out for a couple of hours if its a lovely day, but she does bark a fair bit and, to be honest, our yard is not any bigger than the house! :o

I make sure she has had a good run before hand and supply her with a pigs/beef ear and a couple of toilet paper rolls filled with kibble. I'm pretty sure she must sleep the whole time.