My Friend Bought A Dog...

WillowGirl

My friend bought a dog. It was a SWF. I asked her how much she paid for it. She said $250, I said 'Oh that's not bad...is she a cross breed?' She said no it's a Pure Breed. I asked her what sort, because that is CHEAP. She said a Pure Bred Maltese/Shih tzu.... :eek:

I then explained that they were two different breeds and it was in fact a cross. I had no idea that someone would not know that.

Anyone else come across this?

I'm just curious as to what a crossbred "purebred" whatever x whatever is.

Do you mean as in definitions of terms?

wiki recons:

- 'purebred' is one that closely resembles others of the same breed

- 'pedigree' is where the lineage is recorded

Im assuming that 'crossbred' is the result of two 'purebred' or 'pedigree' dogs of different breeds.

Ah sorry, I think I phrased that wrong. I mean, for those people who have a "purebred shih tzu/bichon", how do they differentiate their purebred one from a crossbred shih tzu/bichon? I've heard about 'second generation' labradoodles etc, and am just wondering whether it's something like that. People will consider their cross to be a "purebred" if its mother was (for example) a purebred bichon frise, and father a purebred shih tzu. But if the parents were also crosses, then it would be a crossbred. Or, vice versa. I dunno - just trying to work out people's rationale for thinking like that (beyond just not knowing).

My friend bought a dog. It was a SWF. I asked her how much she paid for it. She said $250, I said 'Oh that's not bad...is she a cross breed?' She said no it's a Pure Breed. I asked her what sort, because that is CHEAP. She said a Pure Bred Maltese/Shih tzu.... :eek:

I then explained that they were two different breeds and it was in fact a cross. I had no idea that someone would not know that.

Anyone else come across this?

Yep - someone I know has a "purebred" malteze/shihtzu - according to her - it is 'purebred' because both parents are 'malteze/shihtzu' (pet shop bought, same litter, not desexed). :eek:

Ah sorry, I think I phrased that wrong. I mean, for those people who have a "purebred shih tzu/bichon", how do they differentiate their purebred one from a crossbred shih tzu/bichon? I've heard about 'second generation' labradoodles etc, and am just wondering whether it's something like that. People will consider their cross to be a "purebred" if its mother was (for example) a purebred bichon frise, and father a purebred shih tzu. But if the parents were also crosses, then it would be a crossbred. Or, vice versa. I dunno - just trying to work out people's rationale for thinking like that (beyond just not knowing).

Ah - I recon that is just a lack of information or mis-information from the petshop staff.

I think I remember somewhere about there needing to be 5 or 6 generations of breeding dogs that look the same to start a breed so two parents of the same mix definitely doesn't count for purebred puppies.

They could be on one of the other registers other than the ANKC official one - I'm sure the "oodles" have a registry of their own, sorta like the working dogs one but for the crossbreeds that have become popular to buy...

T.

Nothing stopping other registries from issuing papers. Really, our ANKC papers are only as strong as the ANKC registry is. If the ANKC becomes just another registry then the meaning of our dogs pedigree papers will soon become weakened.

Am I blind to what the ANKC is doing to market and promote our breeds, or is it really as vague as it seems?

Any dog can have a pedigree as long as dogs are given some sort of registration, and that is recorded on a family tree. As far as the ANKC is concerned a 'Moodle' is just the same as a South African Boerbel if documentation is kept.

Guest lavendergirl

I have a pal who adopted a pup from the rspca who claimed it was a purebred and it most def is not! Not that it matters, but its still false advertising

I think most people adopting from the RSPCA would understand that they can't guarantee parentage. I don't think they would have the time to carry out tests to determine if dogs are purebred or not.

ANKC is to busy hiding under their blanket to do anything about promoting our breeds...

Working in a Grooming Salon we get loads of purebred x things, some are the ugliest things especially the ones that have the horrid over-shot bottom jaw and legs bowed that look like it was run over :rolleyes:

Edited by Darkrai

Yup my neighbours just got themselves a maltese x shih tzu x poodle

They paid $950 from a "registered' breeder and the dog has papers.

This is after I gave them a lecture on who not to buy from, dragged them to Spring Fair where they met with a lovely maltese breeder and ordered a puppy for $900. The puppy they were going to get has a totally wrong bite and was therefore discounted.

They became worried about the bite and went elswhere. cute white fluffy is what they were after...... and they got one.

I couldnt belive it. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Yep, someone who has a purebred cavoodle.

Me: It's not a purebred.

Her: Yes it is, I paid $1,200 for it.

Me: It's a cross.

Her: No, he is a purebred.

Me: It's a cavalier CROSS poodle.

Her: ...oh my god, I got ripped off!!!

I always do a lot of research before I do/buy anything....so I would always know something like that. Fascinating that so many don't. Especially when paying $1200 :eek: I wonder where these dogs they are breeding are coming from...I am assuming the 'breeders' start off with an actual PB cavalier and a PB poodle??? :confused:

Today at work someone was saying about how her friend had to rehome her maltese/shih tzu because there was a risk she might bite the new baby...apparently she has been snappy towards the older toddler...they seem to have her best interests at heart. One of the other girls says "Oh my mum might be interested in her, its good because she is the same breed as her boy...and then they can mate" other girl cuts off the e of mate and says "Oh I think she is desexed" other girl "oh thats a shame, because sugar pea isn't"

Thank christ for that lol

Well...at least she realised at the end...

Edited by GoldenGirl85

I always do a lot of research before I do/buy anything....so I would always know something like that. Fascinating that so many don't. Especially when paying $1200 :eek: I wonder where these dogs they are breeding are coming from...I am assuming the 'breeders' start off with an actual PB cavalier and a PB poodle??? :confused:

They come from places like Gumtree...or facebook, like an ad I saw today

"FTGH female pure breed GSD"

"how old?"

"2 years old and desexed"

"sorry, not interested"

I have a feeling that after the "how old" comment there was also one saying "is she desexed?"

I felt like saying "not interested because she is no longer a walking uterus right?"

Pure bred of one breed x pure bred of another breed is a cross breed or an F1 cross.

If two F1 dogs of the same mix are bred together (ie lab x poodle is bred to another lab x poodle) the resulting offspring are an F2 cross, and so on. From memory a purebreed must be at least an F5 cross?? Though I'm sure someone who knows more about that can answer.

Cross breed x cross breed is simply a mongrel.

IME the vast majority of "Maltese x Shih tzu's" are mongrels, rather than F1 or F2 crosses. Randomly bred SWF's with a name that sells ;)

That is GOLD:-)