Help Needed Urgently

Daisy

I have a 14 month old male afghan foster dog, Sammy. Sam was desexed on Thursday, and he has been licking his stitches so it is a bit red. He now has a cone on his head, but obviously the stitches are bothering him and he keeps trying to get at them and crying and howling. He has been making a huge fuss and racket all morning, and I am very concerned that my neighbours will not be impressed (and they are not the nicest people on one side).

I have phoned my vet, but only got the receptionist as one vet is overseas and the other was kicked by a horse yesterday and is in hospital :(

I asked if there is anything I can spray or put on the wound to ease his discomfort, maybe numb it a little, and I was told no there is nothing you can do.

Does anyone know of anything that might help? I thought about rescue remedy but I haven't used it before and don't have any on hand, and wouldn't know where to get it from (live in a rural town).

Anyone got any suggestions on how I can settle him down a bit?

I have never seen a dog make such a fuss after desexing :(

ETA Apart from some redness from him licking the wound, there does not seem to be anything else wrong with him, he is eating and drinking ok and not listless or anything like that.

Edited by Daisy

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could try Aloe Vera if you have the plant, very soothing.

Rescue Remedy is available from most chemists. :)

ETA. Your vets receptionist is a twit, saying there is nothing you can do. Are there any other vets around?

Edited by Bite Me

Poor baby. :( I have had a cat that was allergic to the sutures we used and she was so irritated by them! Will he let you put an ice pack on the wound? And I second the suggestion to get some Rescue Remedy. Otherwise can you give him a big meaty bone to distract him?

I was thinking about trying an ice pack. No aloe vera unfortunately. I am a bit afraid to leave him alone to go down to the chemist, but he seems to have settled a bit at the moment now I have come inside and left him, it almost seems like he makes more of a fuss when I am with him?? I have a sneaking suspicion he is a true drama queen, but am still rather concerned... will go check om him now and see how he is going.

I find Afghans are extremely inclined to "razor rash" and it is that which sets off the roundabout of discomfort/licking/inflammation/discomfort...

Definitely try for a sedative - I have vague recollections of being able to use human travel/pain medications on them??

And then, bitter drops to stop the licking - it is really, really sad for them and the bitter drops do sting on the fresh wound, but ever so much better than a bucket-cone. The bucket-cones seem to drive them mad.

So sorry for him: distractions, pain relief, and bitter drops are my best recommendation.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. He is fairly quiet at the moment, lying on a bed in the laundry - but him lying quietly is actually unusual behaviour for him. I will head off to the chemist, and had already planned to take Sammy for a visit to Alyosha this afternoon, I will get her to have a look at his wound and see what she thinks. If he doesnt settle somewhat today I will contact another vet, however we are now into 'after hours emergency vet' territory here, none are open now until monday.

Do the stiches look a bit tight? If so you can put a bit of vaseline (sp?) AROUND the stiches, which may make him a little more comfortable.

Maybe take him out for a walk to tire him out a bit.

But, he is a male and most likely just a big sook so you may just have to put up with it..lol

The pharmacist was most helpful, and I got some rescue remedy, and a spray that is both an anaesthetic and antiseptic. Rescue remedy and spray applied, we will see how he goes. I knocked the bottle of rescue remedy over though and spilt most of it :cry:

You were right on the money Dog Geek - he has a very ordinary shaving rash. It seems to be that more than the stitches that is worrying him. As his scrotum is swollen and the rash is up alongside it it rubs whenever he's moving around.

Plus he's a drama queen to boot. :laugh: I got some neocort on the rashy area (you would've thought I was killing him with those gentle dabbings of cool cream... :eek: ) which seemed to help a little. Hopefully once the swelling reduces the rubbing will too. Although it is then going to get prickly as well... :eek:

Hoping he is ok overnight Daisy and doesn't complain too much. He's a lovely boy though. :)

Guest donatella

poor darlin. i got my girl spayed friday too and she's moping about, so sad to see her uncomfortable but i know its just a few days but she's obsessed about the sutured area.

hope your man gets through, i know the first few days are the worst then the healing sets in and the itchy starts :eek: