A Dogpark Intro To Scottish Deerhounds

Well today I had a real treat at my dog park with meeting three bounding, galloping Scottish Deerhounds :laugh: They were spectacular and look quite Gothic or medieval.

They were very friendly and the pup of the trio took a great liking to my Papillon, chasing the ball together. They galloped off and Tonka kept putting this huge size pup in its place.

They are an incredible size and must need space, plus I just read that they only live 8 or 9 years which seems pretty short. Does anyone know why large breeds live shorter lives??

I had a Scottish Deerhound calle Skye. Lovely, lovely girl but didn't particularly like my pugs. Although we live on 100 acres she was happiest imitating a"turtle" (on her back legs up) on a couch or bed under the window.

Our Deerie also spent most of the day lying around but when he ran full speed he looked magnificent. He loved everyone and was always played nicely with other dogs and was very gentle with our cats.

Sadly we lost him to bone cancer just short of his 5th birthday.

My Brother in law when I first met him had a deer hound. Her name was Flyte, she had a beautiful temperament and was a real sook, typical hound though loved to run, but equally loved to curl up and be with her humans. :D