Why Is It So

Mandalay

Well, that's not true in at least one case I know of. I've never seen the dog/face plastered in any magazine. Just the regular small pics of group wins that appear in every Dogs Vic magazine but they aren't submitted by the owners of the dog. They are just show results.

Sorry I do not believe there is only one perfect dog that wins all the time, I have seen many many dogs that are worth a win every week......JMO

What about if the baby puppy entry be a little less as alot of breeders run on a couple of pups to see how things are working out this could make it a little easier....or should it be Cash & Sash to help with the costs a little.....??

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, that's not true in at least one case I know of. I've never seen the dog/face plastered in any magazine. Just the regular small pics of group wins that appear in every Dogs Vic magazine but they aren't submitted by the owners of the dog. They are just show results.

Sorry I do not believe there is only one perfect dog that wins all the time, I have seen many many dogs that are worth a win every week......JMO

What about if the baby puppy entry be a little less as alot of breeders run on a couple of pups to see how things are working out this could make it a little easier....or should it be Cash & Sash to help with the costs a little.....??

It's the same here too, rarely does a particular dog not go best or r/u in group.

I love cash and sash shows, have won at a couple now and it really does help cover costs. The only win that should come with a prize as well is Best in Show (possibly a trophy, not actual 'prize'). I relly don't need 12 crystal platters or 27 cofee mugs so cash is always welcome instead, no matter how small the amount.

I didn't say there was one dog, I said there are a number of dogs in our group who do a lot of winning (at group and show level), and win at various shows, under a variety of judges in their home state and interstate.

They are beautiful dogs......not just run of the mill beautiful, but once in a lifetime examples of their breed.

I got told once that it's really rude to show up on the last day of a 3-show weekend. And yet I often only show on a Sunday because I have other things to do on Saturdays and I work on weekdays, so Sunday is generally my only free day to go to a show, and if it's the last day of a 3-show weekend, then so be it. It's not rude, it's just a time constraint.

I'd be ignoring that comment GayleK .... what a silly statement for someone to make ....

It's most defintely NOT rude.

Agree! especially as you have given them the benefit of your entry for one of the days - that's one more entry fee than they would have received!!

I agree! People have other commitments that have to come first. That's simply silly to be called rude for only showing on the last day.

For me there are two reasons why I'm showing less. One is the cost - things have been quite tight for us over the last 12-18 months and dog shows aren't always something we have the cash for. Its not the show entry as that isn't too bad - its the food for the family for the day, the petrol costs etc. Even when we bring food from home its more expensive than just eating at home (we bring our own food 95% of the time). The other reason is that we moved onto acreage so that we would have both room for the dogs and room for the kids - acreages takes a LOT of maintenance!!! A weekend spent dog showing requires 2 weeks of work to catch up, particularly during Spring!!!

I also found that when I was showing every couple of weeks my dogs were very stale - now that it is only occasional shows they are sooooo excited to turn up at the show, its fabulous!! :thumbsup:

I enjoy showing too much to stop showing my dogs when they're titled - as a rare breed they're pretty easy to title, even if it is only 6 point challenges :laugh: . I think there is also less nastiness as there aren't very many of us showing this breed - I really dislike a lot of the stuff I see on the sideline and hear through gazebo walls. I know that there is nastiness in all sports but I don't like it - in Auskick, in netball, in dog showing - I just think it is VERY unnecessary. Its very tiresome when 50% of the people you talk to at a show will rattle off all the excuses why their dog didn't win :rolleyes:. Its one day, its one Judge - move on people!!!!

I got told once that it's really rude to show up on the last day of a 3-show weekend. And yet I often only show on a Sunday because I have other things to do on Saturdays and I work on weekdays, so Sunday is generally my only free day to go to a show, and if it's the last day of a 3-show weekend, then so be it. It's not rude, it's just a time constraint.

I'd be ignoring that comment GayleK .... what a silly statement for someone to make ....

It's most defintely NOT rude.

Agree! especially as you have given them the benefit of your entry for one of the days - that's one more entry fee than they would have received!!

I agree! People have other commitments that have to come first. That's simply silly to be called rude for only showing on the last day.

2+ in fact I suspect it is only rude if you beat them!! :rofl:

Locations.. I cant afford nor want to drive 6 hours to a show... then 6 hours back.. I cant drive at night and its just not do-able a lot of the time. My limit unless its a weekend away is 2-3 hours.

Judges. does it really need to be explained more?

Cost of entrys. I paid over $90 to enter my two dogs... plus add gas, food, its a very very expensive weekend away.

Other things. I have kids, sometimes they can come and more than often they prefer to go to a dog show, but sometimes you have to stay behind.

other exhibitors.. I used to joke that when a particular exhibitor was there Id have to stop at hospital to remove the knives from my back. Its still true. Shes in my breed, but now its just laughable at what she is spouting. Guess someone doesnt like being beaten LOL.

Although I don't think the costs of showing are that bad, I would spend the same if I was out sledding.

What's holding me back from showing is just what it would cost me to start up which may be the case for other my age- 20s

I've got the house, i've got all the time in the world to spend with my animals.

But the mains registered dog + all the other hoo ha that goes with showing is just out of reach at the moment.

The issues of face judging and politics have been thrown around for as long as I have been in dogs,and I really do not consider it to be the reason numbers at shows are falling. Once it was common to see exhibitors with large show teams, dog people are now not welcome in many council areas keeping the number of dogs that were once common is now extremely difficult, unless you are prepared to live in the boonies so this has impacted. The cost of setting up dog properties to meet the often ridiculous standards required prevents many from doing so. I know of at least a dozen exhibitors who are now entering less than half the number of dogs they were only a decade or so ago. This and rising costs have had a huge impact on numbers at shows.

I was talking with a friend about this today, I would like to see more social events organised.

I remember when I was little going to a fancy dress party at the showground. Everyone was there and I still have good memories from that night (along with a bunch of photos I would probably be killed for for sharing). Barbecues at fellow exhibitors houses after each show used to be packed and everyone would celebrate each others wins that day.

You just don't really see that anymore, well not here anyway.

I think more social events that don't involve the dogs might help encourage people to "get along", plus it's an extra draw card for new exhibitors, making it more interesting and letting them make some new friends in the dog world.

Well I have followed this thread with interest and I have not seen one of the most obvious reasons for declining numbers and that is...... its been been declining over the last 20 years since the hey day of dog showing.

Many of us are 20 years older and and are pensioners and can not afford to show and breed like we used to.

Also many of us have dropped of the perch. :)

I agree with this. I started young in 1989 and have continued but I did have a break of a number of years before starting again with a different breed.

I think for someone coming into showing it can be extremely hard to be able to get a dog on mains to show.

I also agree with this I found it extremely difficult to get a dog a main register to show but I persisted. I understand why people are reluctant but at some point you have to give someone a chance.

Going back to the cost I wonder if it would make a difference if they structured their entry fee's something like 1st dog $10.00 any others $8.00. I know lots of clubs do baby puppy cheaper to enter.

The issues of face judging and politics have been thrown around for as long as I have been in dogs,and I really do not consider it to be the reason numbers at shows are falling. Once it was common to see exhibitors with large show teams, dog people are now not welcome in many council areas keeping the number of dogs that were once common is now extremely difficult, unless you are prepared to live in the boonies so this has impacted. The cost of setting up dog properties to meet the often ridiculous standards required prevents many from doing so. I know of at least a dozen exhibitors who are now entering less than half the number of dogs they were only a decade or so ago. This and rising costs have had a huge impact on numbers at shows.

So true I really think it is unusual to see someone with alot of dogs entered at show anymore.

Edited by Belljari

I was talking with a friend about this today, I would like to see more social events organised.

I remember when I was little going to a fancy dress party at the showground. Everyone was there and I still have good memories from that night (along with a bunch of photos I would probably be killed for for sharing). Barbecues at fellow exhibitors houses after each show used to be packed and everyone would celebrate each others wins that day.

You just don't really see that anymore, well not here anyway.

I think more social events that don't involve the dogs might help encourage people to "get along", plus it's an extra draw card for new exhibitors, making it more interesting and letting them make some new friends in the dog world.

:D These days , my friend, have long gone, alot of exhibitors now think it is there whole being "WINNING" it makes them think they are important, for what, puppy sales is all I can think of......

I remember these days in fact , with in, my breed there is a bunch of us that still do, as this is a hobby and should be a social event and we are happy for the breed not the deed.....

:laugh: I had a person very nasty because I let my baby puppy play up in the in show line up, I told her I have 2 sheep stations why would I want a 3rd........they tutted and walked off, silly goat :rofl:

There has been many reasons stated and I guess like alot of things we can not get the good old days back, Cost, Judging, spiteful exhibitors, families, Canine bodies etc add to the numbers falling....Wonder how long these little shows can hang on even the Royal numbers are down.......but then again there is nothing better than your dog at your side no matter what you are doing... ;)

Edited by Mandalay

Going back to the cost I wonder if it would make a difference if they structured their entry fee's something like 1st dog $10.00 any others $8.00. I know lots of clubs do baby puppy cheaper to enter.

Clubs in the NT have been doing this for many years. Due to the fact that ALL judges have to come from interstate and the smaller numbers in the shows the first entry probably way more expensive than it is interstate:

Members: 1st Entry - $15.30 (includes Levy), 2nd - $12.00, 3rd - $10.00, Subsequent entries - $5.00. Any dog entered in two or more classes $25.00 for second and subsequent classes.

Non-members: 1st Entry - $17.30 (includes Levy), 2nd - $14.00, subsequent entries $12.00. Any dog entered in two or more classes $25.00 for second and subsequent classes.

Most clubs provide sashes for BIG, R/up IG, Classes in Group, BIS R/up IS Classes in show; with trophies for all but classes in group.

The clubs run at a loss for their shows and if it weren't for fundrasing at Bunnings etc they could not continue.

Graham

Clubs in the NT have been doing this for many years. Due to the fact that ALL judges have to come from interstate and the smaller numbers in the shows the first entry probably way more expensive than it is interstate:

Members: 1st Entry - $15.30 (includes Levy), 2nd - $12.00, 3rd - $10.00, Subsequent entries - $5.00. Any dog entered in two or more classes $25.00 for second and subsequent classes.

Non-members: 1st Entry - $17.30 (includes Levy), 2nd - $14.00, subsequent entries $12.00. Any dog entered in two or more classes $25.00 for second and subsequent classes.

Most clubs provide sashes for BIG, R/up IG, Classes in Group, BIS R/up IS Classes in show; with trophies for all but classes in group.

The clubs run at a loss for their shows and if it weren't for fundrasing at Bunnings etc they could not continue.

Graham

Take my hat off to you Graham, if not for people like you there would not be any shows up there , here in NSW /Vic, can do a show every w/e and during the weeks if they wish to, our entry costs are getting higher & some of the judges are locals...... :thumbsup: Keep up the great effort...

Wow, we have it lucky here, entries are between $8 and $13 for a normal champ show, baby puppies are cheaper (some clubs only charge a couple of dollars).

We only pay around the $20 mark for Royals.

BUT we don't have the option of picking shows, we only have one going at a time in the whole state and even then it's not every weekend. I guess in the grand scheme of things it is good because you can't have people "avoiding" certain dogs... Here you have no choice.

Back to the topic of shows being social, I think this has inspired me to organise a get together for exhibitors. You are 100% right Mandalay, too many people only think about the wins and not about the actual hobby... It's your DOG that wins, not you. Hobbies are supposed to be fun.

Take my hat off to you Graham, if not for people like you there would not be any shows up there , here in NSW /Vic, can do a show every w/e and during the weeks if they wish to, our entry costs are getting higher & some of the judges are locals...... :thumbsup: Keep up the great effort...

The clubs up here go a damn good job of running their shows and adapting. Alice Springs have found by putting on 4 shows on 1 week end (6 on a long week end) they can nearly double their entries.

Our Territory Tour show circuit in 2012 will have 17 All Breeds champ shows between 6 July (Alice) and 6 August (Darwin), Take some holidays and join us.

G

I have in the past done the NT shows. Alice Springs and the CAnine expo and royal. HAd a great time and met some great people and got to go to the Mindel Markets.

If I didn't have young kids and a business I would be up there again, and will do so in the future :)

Just looking at your entry fees and it was very interesting :D

our local small Kennel clubs and Ag Shows are looking at having to raise entry fees,

say $11 for the first entry and say $9 for all subsequent entries, when we told a few people about this

most were in agreement it needed as costs for running shows have increased, but we still

get the one or two who say we cant afford a $1 increase to enter a show.... :(

these are usually the same ones whom also complain about having NSW judges whinging "why dont we get interstaters??" (or offer to help :mad )

well we ned to make enough from our shows to do this and one way is to raise entries as well as the usual raffles sponsors etc,

Cash N Sash is another good way of keeping costs down, we quite often have no age entries in classes in groups, that way we can re-bank the money back into the club account to use for next year

and we dont waste money on prizes that may never be used.

Edited by Libertybrook

And here we have yet another idea.

Last night I took 2 Maremma Sheepdogs to Hillsbrough grounds

as they *ostencibily* wanted dogs from group 5 to go over.

I was there over an hour and not 1 person had the deciency

to speak to me. Not 1 person had the deciency to let me know

what they would need or for that matter IF they still wished

to have Maremma or for that metter ANY dogs to go over.

With this kind of plain ignorance is it any wonder that new

people don't stay long?

I personally struggle to come up with any kind of a reason to

tell my puppy people they will gain any benifit at all from

being a member of their state body.

After 10 years I am still a newbie and I have been happy being

a newbie, BUT, people IF you want help, new members or just plain

folks to enter shows, then how about making an attempt at showing

good manners? A smile? Would it kill you?

I can promise you I can think of way more interesting things to

do with my dogs. and I just may do them instead of showing a lot

more often in future.

End Rant

Linda