Bonza Can't Catch!

sandgrubber

My 20 mo old Labbie, Bonza, cannot catch. If I throw a treat . . . easy throw . . . toward her face, she'll allow it to land on her nose with no snap and gulp whatsoever. Same with toys. Otherwise she's a pretty normal pup.

All the dogs I've ever owned mastered the food catch. . . if I remember right, they usually get it down by around six months.

I wonder if this means something about Bonza's vision. Perhaps she's farsighted and can't see the flying food?

Ideas?

I've had three dogs who could catch brilliantly and two who cant. Brookie is stupendous! He could catch food for the world series!!!! :rofl:

Jasper, my 12 yr old BC never could catch but he tries hard...food just bounces off his nose and Brook's there to catch it on the rebound :laugh:

Zac (11 months) doesn't have any aptitude for it but I am actively teaching him as its a useful skill for training purposes and its good for mouth eye co-ordination :) Its easier to start when he is sitting and you virtually drop the food into his mouth from about an inch away. As he gets the hang of it its useful to add a cue word...'catch' so he can mentally prepare. Progress slowly so you can do it on the move...for heeling you can hold you hand with the food high so he has to look up and then drop it in.

Another thought...use soft food that doesn't crumble and is easy to see...cheese cut into largish bites.

Edited by bedazzledx2

Are you sure she trusts that it is actually something she wants to eat being thrown? Some dogs like to do a thorough inspection before they eat something :p

I like bedazzled's idea too, will she take food that is dropped while she paying full attention? This is how i get rid of my roast chicken scraps :D

Interesting. I've always though all dogs got 'catch' without training. So Bonza's not unique. It amuses me more than it bothers me . . . it looks really dopey for a dog to get hit in the snout by a bit of flying cheese. But, hey, dopey is cute!