Stinky Flews

hilaryo

My 8 year old male beagle has a stinky mouth. He is a kitchen floor licker so no doubt picks up lots of bacteria in the process. It seems to be his flews that are the problem.

Is here a solution I can make up that is safe to use in and around the mouth area to kill bacteria? Or can you just use a human type mouth wash on cotton wool or similar?

His teeth were scaled and cleaned by the vet last year and I have started cleaning them with a little brush thingy that you put on your finger.

There is a product available called Angels Eyes. Primarily it is used to stop the staining of fur from the tear ducts and around the mouth, however it has an added benefit and that is it stops chronic bad breath.

I have used it very successfully on several dogs with this problem. It is available on line from a woman on the Gold Coast. Not cheap but I have found it to be a very good product.

Not sure about a human mouthwash.. it would need to be the alcohol free ones..otherwise it will sting his mouth .. most also have saccharin etc in them ..

What about some organic apple cider vinegar in his water bowl? That way he washes his OWN mouth out :p ..and vinegar can slow down the growth of many bacteria , AFAIK.

You might also like to try colloidal silver ,sparingly.

are you sure it's not a tooth or stomach problem? Sometimes smells come up from the stomach and through his breath. If his teeth are OK and there is no infection in the gums then I would be looking at his stomach.

You cannot use human mouth washes on dogs. You need to fix the problem not mask it. I also would not be using angel eyes as it's a daily low dose antibiotic which I really dont agree with. Dogs mouths are also not like ours so if there is a bacteria in there causing bad breath it needs to be dealt with medically as it is now a problem well outside the norm.

What is his current diet?

Edited by Nekhbet

Your dog probably has lip fold pyoderma. Saliva and food fragments get trapped in the small crevices at each side of the dog's mouth, it's a warm, moist environment and a fungal infection often develops, hence the unpleasant smell. Cleaning the area with a cotton bud or ball soaked in diluted Malaseb once a week will usually solve the problem.

Nekhbet, it doesn't seem to be the smell on his breath that is bad and teeth and gums look OK - no gum disease (swelling, redness or pockets). He is on Royal Canin. I don't want to mask the problem but hopefully kill the problem if it is just his lip folds being a breeding ground for nasties. I will have a go smelling around his mouth and breath tonight to make sure.

I really think it is just what Miranda mentioned as I noticed it last night when he was on his back lying with his head in my lap and his lips were falling back (open). Sort of a damp mouldy rank smell - hideous! He has been particularly itchy lately with the spring season and no doubt that doesn't help as he is doing a bit of chewing and licking.

What dilution would you use in water with the Malaseb Miranda - I don't want to poison him? I think I will try this first.

Thanks for the replies :)

What dilution would you use in water with the Malaseb Miranda - I don't want to poison him? I think I will try this first.

I don't measure it hilaryo, I've used it for years so I just pour a small quantity of warm water into a bowl and then add a small squeeze of Malaseb. Maybe 15 to 1, 30 to 1? I did one of my bitches a few weeks ago and the smell hasn't returned, it acts almost instantly, but if you're doing it for the first time maybe do it once and again a week later then leave it until you need to use it again. Cutting out any hair around the folds helps as well.

ETA Diluted Malaseb is also good for wiping out ears.

Edited by Miranda

:thumbsup: - will use the diluted malaseb as directed. Then perhaps use the Betadine to keep bacteria under control from his licking and chewing and licking the floor.

I will also use the malaseb for a bath I have found it great in the past when he starts on his paws - we both just hate that 10 minute wait - worse than waiting for a kettle to boil!

Edited by hilaryo