Sa Boy In Hospital After Dog Attack

german_shep_fan

A two-year-old boy remains in hospital with facial injuries after being mauled by a dog over the weekend.

The toddler was attacked in Kingston, in South Australia's southeast, on Saturday.

SA Ambulance Service said they airlifted the child, who was suffering facial injuries, from hospital in Kingston to Flinders Medical Centre in Adelaide on Saturday.

He remains in the hospital but his condition cannot be released.

The owners of the dog have handed over their pet to the Kingston council.

Information on the breed of dog has not been made available.

Kingston Mayor Evan Flint says it is expected the dog will be put down.

"Once the legal matters have been taken care of, my understanding is that the dog will be destroyed," he told ABC Online.

"Once again it just shows how vigilant you have to be when children and animals are in the same area.

"This dog has obviously been a very loving dog and then unfortunately it's attacked a young child, so it just shows how vigilant one has to be with animals and children."

SA Dog and Cat Management Board executive Ben Luxton said he wanted to stress "the importance of actively supervising or separating small children and dogs".

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8364552/sa-boy-in-hospital-after-dog-attack

Im guessing they haven't named the breed yet as it doesn't conform to the media's ideal of a danergous breed

Seriously wondering when they are going to stop reporting on every dog attack that happens, makes me worried the media are in on a hidden agenda with the gov :mad I hope its just me being paranoid

It was said on the radio that they didn't want to release the name of the "breed" as it was a mixed breed of heeler cross appearance, sounds to me that they were being cautious so not to add to breed hysteria. A child with severe facial injuries from an attack is newsworthy and it highlighted the need for owners to be vigilent with supervising pets and children. I am thinking it is you just being paranoid - sounded like reasonable reporting to me. Would you prefer that serious injuries not be reported on so that parents can not have the responsible dog ownership message reinforced to them? If this makes one parent stop and think about how they supervise both their children and pets then this poor little boys injuries weren't for nothing. Horrid situation for all involved but hopefully people are getting the message to protect their family and dogs and be responsible

"Once again it just shows how vigilant you have to be when children and animals are in the same area.

"This dog has obviously been a very loving dog and then unfortunately it's attacked a young child, so it just shows how vigilant one has to be with animals and children."

SA Dog and Cat Management Board executive Ben Luxton said he wanted to stress "the importance of actively supervising or separating small children and dogs".

Edited by casowner

It was said on the radio that they didn't want to release the name of the "breed" as it was a mixed breed of heeler cross appearance, sounds to me that they were being cautious so not to add to breed hysteria. A child with severe facial injuries from an attack is newsworthy and it highlighted the need for owners to be vigilent with supervising pets and children. I am thinking it is you just being paranoid - sounded like reasonable reporting to me. Would you prefer that serious injuries not be reported on so that parents can not have the responsible dog ownership message reinforced to them? If this makes one parent stop and think about how they supervise both their children and pets then this poor little boys injuries weren't for nothing. Horrid situation for all involved but hopefully people are getting the message to protect their family and dogs and be responsible

Serious injuries from dog attacks shouldn't need to be reported in the press for parents to practice responsible dog ownership, anyone with half a brain knows they should supervise their kids around dogs, yes accidents happen when parents are there, but ppl need to learn how to read the signs from the dog as well. Unfortunately now, as always it is the dog who has to pay the ultimate price :mad

My point was that before the girl was killed in Melbourne they would only report dog attacks every so often but since then the media has seen a good thing and report on every incident there is in one paper or another, even if ppl are not seriously injured.

Serious injuries from dog attacks shouldn't need to be reported in the press for parents to practice responsible dog ownership, anyone with half a brain knows they should supervise their kids around dogs, yes accidents happen when parents are there, but ppl need to learn how to read the signs from the dog as well. Unfortunately now, as always it is the dog who has to pay the ultimate price :mad

My point was that before the girl was killed in Melbourne they would only report dog attacks every so often but since then the media has seen a good thing and report on every incident there is in one paper or another, even if ppl are not seriously injured.

Clearly they don't and there is no such thing as too much education. Complacency is as dangerous as not understanding animal behaviour

This was a serious bite, I suggest you spend some time in this section and check out all of the news topics on attackes PRE the Melbourne attack. All the angry faces in the world won't make me change my mind

Clearly they don't and there is no such thing as too much education. Complacency is as dangerous as not understanding animal behaviour

This was a serious bite, I suggest you spend some time in this section and check out all of the news topics on attackes PRE the Melbourne attack. All the angry faces in the world won't make me change my mind

I wasn't pointing the angry face emo at you, just at the situation

Obv no amount of media reporting is ever going to be enough to change the situation, there will always be ppl who do the wrong thing in regards to their dogs and thier kids with their dogs.

To me the only thing the reporting is doing is making ppl who don't like dogs feel more and more hatred toward them when they read of these attacks, and thats not good for any dog owner.

I don't want to argue with you, esp on an internet forum so i guess we will have to just agree to disagree on the topic? lol ;)

I have found dog attacks make the news when there is not much else to report.

If they start running "good news" stories or seem to be digging for something to fill that 6-6:30 time slot, you can guarantee after 2 days they will run a dog attack story. It will give them enough news to cover until something real comes along.

This has been happening for at least the last 10 years here in SA. I know because I have been getting upset about it. I even contacted our local paper, asking them to run some good dog stories. Other obedience instructors joined me at our local park and the paper ran a story on how obedience training can help prevent attacks. Numbers did increase at training immediately after.

If you have or know a good dog "incident", contact your local media and ask them to run the story. It will be a bit different from what others are printing and they may just be interested. We need to keep being proactive or we will only hear the bad.

I believe we dog owners have a new inbuilt radar that picks up on every dog attack report we hear these days too.

I know I am more "in tune" to it these days.

But hey, if it means more dog people will get an 'in' at kindergartens and schools to help with 'education on childrens behaviour around dogs' then at least one good thing can come of it.

IFFY in the extreme. 'remains in hospital' may have nothing to do with the kid's condition . . . the local quacks may be unavailable over the weekend.

'Facial injuries' could be very serious or some nick of the skin.

'Attacked' could mean all sorts of things . . . sometime ill-behaved kids invite attack.

Long ago, I had a dog who was very protective of her anus. She always had a go at vets when he tried to take her temperature unless we muzzled her. She was extremely good with kids . . . playing fetch ad infinitus and lying down on her back and showing belly to the little ones . . .tolerating pulling of ears and tail and other bad things that kids do to dogs. She once came close to attacking a toddler who tried to explore the 'little hole under her tail'. This dog was not at all dangerous. She just had a thing about anal intrusions. Fortunately, in this case, there was adequate supervision and nothing more than a growl happened. But under slightly different circumstances, she would have been a branded as a 'child attacker'.

Sad sad sad. It also shows how vigilant one has to be with children around animals.

I'd say the onus is equally strong for the child's parents as it is for the dog's owners.

How about prosecuting the parents for inadequate supervision instead of killing the dog.

A two-year-old boy remains in hospital with facial injuries after being mauled by a dog over the weekend.

The toddler was attacked in Kingston, in South Australia's southeast, on Saturday.

SA Ambulance Service said they airlifted the child, who was suffering facial injuries, from hospital in Kingston to Flinders Medical Centre in Adelaide on Saturday.

He remains in the hospital but his condition cannot be released.

The owners of the dog have handed over their pet to the Kingston council.

Information on the breed of dog has not been made available.

Kingston Mayor Evan Flint says it is expected the dog will be put down.

"Once the legal matters have been taken care of, my understanding is that the dog will be destroyed," he told ABC Online.

http://news.ninemsn....fter-dog-attack

Im guessing they haven't named the breed yet as it doesn't conform to the media's ideal of a danergous breed

Seriously wondering when they are going to stop reporting on every dog attack that happens, makes me worried the media are in on a hidden agenda with the gov :mad I hope its just me being paranoid

Edited by sandgrubber

Better reporting than many I have seen.

I have had a no tolerance policy with my kids and animals. I have been hard on them at times, though it has truly been worth it.

They learnt from a tiny age never to touch a sleeping dog, a dog eating or a dog who is overly excited/stimulated. Never to touch an unknown dog (ignore) or a dog tied up, again ignore.

I will not every tolerate ears being pulled, tails, lying ontop of dogs etc. My own dogs are fantastic with kids, they would not be here otherwise, though other peoples dogs may not be so tolerant or experienced with kids etc. Perhaps they are aged or have some issues with being handled?

I wanted to keep my kids safe in other peoples homes as well as in our own home as I might not be there to read the signs.

I am very proud of them all as they have enormous respect for animals. My seven yr old has the best low tonned voice I have ever heard lol argh, argh, argh and can handle our large 9 month old bull arab female perfectly with supervison and a great approach.

We have visitors staying with us over the weekend. The two kids are older, though have never had an animal so I will be watching them like a hawke. My house, my rules. If they are out running around etc the dogs will be crated. I also have out of bounds areas for the kids, so that the dogs also get a chance to relax & enjoy their lives.

My children and animals are far to important for me not to be 100% responsible at all times.

Am I the only one who feels that's it's a good thing no breed was named?

I see it as attempting to tone down the hysteria ..by not mentioning a breed.. no one's nose is out of joint at 'their' breed being blamed .

Good no breed was named. A shame that the word 'mauled' was used. Why can't they just say 'bitten'?