Online Sales Go To The Dogs

Teebs

http://www.centralwesterndaily.com.au/news/local/news/general/online-sales-go-to-the-dogs/2333964.aspx

Online sales go to the dogs

BY TRACEY PRISK

25 Oct, 2011 04:00 AM

AN Orange dog lover wants to warn others of the pitfalls of buying animals online, after a dog she intended to use as a guard dog turned out to be deaf.

The woman, who declined to be named, said the blue cattle dog puppy, Sooty, had been vet checked and vaccinated before she was picked up from a breeder in the Riverina area.

She said the dog seemed in perfect health when her 21-year-old daughter picked her up from the seller.

However, after having the dog for a day it became obviously that she was profoundly deaf.

The previous owners said they were unaware of the dog’s medical condition and were reluctant to take her back.

Unable to perform guard-dog duties, the woman is now contemplating giving Sooty away.

“[she] could possibly sleep through any noise a burglar might make while carrying my TV out the door,” she said.

“At the moment I’ve got a dilemma over whether I should keep her or not.

“She’s going to be exceptionally hard to give up.”

The woman has put flyers in local vet clinics in an attempt to find a suitable home.

In the flyer the woman describes Sooty as “very intelligent, happy and affectionate”.

“She will make a great companion for someone and would fit in perfectly in any family,” she said.

The woman said she would be happy to re-house Sooty with someone who has a fenced backyard, has experience with dogs and already has a dog that can “be her ears”.

So why didn't she get the pup checked out by a vet when she got it home ? Why did she not demand her money back ?

Poor dog, purchased by an idiot

If you buy a pup online, do your research, check the breeder out, you can answer an ad online, it's what you do after that, that ensures your new pup is happy and healthy.

Having recently breed a deaf puppy it would be very hard for a breeder not to know that a puppy was deaf from a very young age. I picked mine out as soon as the pups eyes opened. The "breeder" doesn't want the puppy back because they wouldn't be able to recoup the lost money. Pity that paper didn't name and shame the so called breeder.

“She will make a great companion for someone and would fit in perfectly in any family,” she said.
Well, if this is so true why not keep the puppy herself. Oh that's right, they only wanted a guard dog, not a pet. Hate to think what would happen to any dog that got to old to guard. :mad

Hope the pup finds a wonderful and caring home.

So whats the problem The goods were not fit for the purpose for which it was purchased. Fairtrading will step in if the breeder doesnt refund replace or repair .

Who cares if the breeder was reluctant? Thems the breaks.

So whats the problem The goods were not fit for the purpose for which it was purchased. Fairtrading will step in if the breeder doesnt refund replace or repair .

Who cares if the breeder was reluctant? Thems the breaks.

As far as I am aware fair trading will only pursue on behalf of a buyer of misrepresented or faulty goods when the seller/breeder of the dog has an ABN and a trading name.

caveat emptor

J

I don't see what this has to do with buying online. Plenty of deaf pups get sold face to face, sometimes by an ethical breeder who wasn't aware of the problem. It's not readily apparent that a pup is deaf at 8 weeks . . . and some deafness is late onset. Eg, it may not show up until several months of age.

I don't see what this has to do with buying online. Plenty of deaf pups get sold face to face, sometimes by an ethical breeder who wasn't aware of the problem. It's not readily apparent that a pup is deaf at 8 weeks . . . and some deafness is late onset. Eg, it may not show up until several months of age.

This is true, a few years ago my B.I.Law took on a Blue Heeler dog of about 9 months. He had already had three owners and had been to "Puppy School", several vets and so on. He was described as "difficult", but my B.I.Law is a softie and the dog was "at risk" of being sent to the pound or even P.T.S. He took it on, had it desexed and it was only after it had been with him for seveal weeks that someone at his training school (an instructor) suggested it might be deaf. Tests were done and Yes, that was the case.

From then on things really changed for "Ollie" and his training went leaps and bounds as they taught him special signing. He had a long and happy life. :)

Edited by LizT