Side Effects Of Feeding Dogs Bread?

heroeswit

I have a really nice lady living next door and I have been thinking that she has returned to throwing bread over the fence for my dogs to go crazy over. I haven't been able to catch her doing it until yesterday. Now since we are stuck having them for neighbours I am looking for reasons that I can tell her that won't seem aggressive even though that is how I feel.

My great dane x is extremely over-weight and I have had to cut his diet right back. My white shepherd is in perfect condition but she never stops so that might help.

If anyone has any ideas please post as I am desperate

Can't you just tell her not to do it? They're your dogs, it's your backyard, you shouldn't need to fish for reasons why someone shouldn't throw food into your backyard. Tell her what you said here--that your dogs are on a diet/on diet food and the bread isn't helping them.

I have a really nice lady living next door and I have been thinking that she has returned to throwing bread over the fence for my dogs to go crazy over. I haven't been able to catch her doing it until yesterday. Now since we are stuck having them for neighbours I am looking for reasons that I can tell her that won't seem aggressive even though that is how I feel.

My great dane x is extremely over-weight and I have had to cut his diet right back. My white shepherd is in perfect condition but she never stops so that might help.

If anyone has any ideas please post as I am desperate

How about allergic to grain products

Can't you just tell her not to do it? They're your dogs, it's your backyard, you shouldn't need to fish for reasons why someone shouldn't throw food into your backyard. Tell her what you said here--that your dogs are on a diet/on diet food and the bread isn't helping them.

I have told her that before and she has just ignored me so I want something more forceful.

I think I will just tell her again not to feed them and if she continues I'll just have to put up a fence to keep them away from her

Guest lavendergirl

How strange - why would she keep doing it if you have already asked her not to? Did she understand or are there language difficulties?

Why don't you just tell your neighbour that you know how much she likes your dogs, but what she is doing in feeding them bread is making them quite ill because they are allergic to the ingredients and after several visits to the vet, he advised you that they need to be kept away from bread.

How strange - why would she keep doing it if you have already asked her not to? Did she understand or are there language difficulties?

There isn't any language difficulties and she did understand cause she stopped for about 6 months

Why don't you just tell your neighbour that you know how much she likes your dogs, but what she is doing in feeding them bread is making them quite ill because they are allergic to the ingredients and after several visits to the vet, he advised you that they need to be kept away from bread.

Thanks I think this will be about what I tell her.

I'll let you all know how I go.

Maybe say if she continues to feed the dogs bread then you reserve the right to have the resultant vet bills sent to her. That way you are not actually saying they are grain allergic but if your overweight dog stays overweight you've still got the option of handing her the vet bill.

..and , after she's been told of the 'allergy'... throws bread over anyway , and nothing happens to the dogs?

Maybe give her something the dogs CAN have .

Or just be firm ..and state they are YOUR dogs ...and then make sure she can see your new security camera ,aimed at the boundary fenceline.

..and , after she's been told of the 'allergy'... throws bread over anyway , and nothing happens to the dogs?

Maybe give her something the dogs CAN have .

Or just be firm ..and state they are YOUR dogs ...and then make sure she can see your new security camera ,aimed at the boundary fenceline.

She doesn't have to know nothing happens to the dogs, but she could be led to believe that they are not well.

Argh, on paper it's so easy to say 'just tell her not to do it' etc, but in reality it's so much harder to have these kinds of conversations. I've even done training at work for 'courageous conversations'. It's only made more complicated when it's a neighbour who by definition you're stuck next to, the last thing you want is a frosty relationship.

Good luck with speaking to her - hope it goes ok!

My nighbours kids used to throw food to my dog who does gave allergies it is very frustrating especially when the kids tell their parents im lying and that they are NOT throwing food over. Really like id make it up as if i have nothing better to do...

We have had this happen and ended up fencing off the drive way which was annoying as it cut down the amount of space the dogs had. And then showed the parent the food her kids had thrown on our driveway and sdvised her if they kept doing it we would start throwing the food back over for her to clean up. Suddenly she managed to get off her backside and tell her kids to stop feeding our dogs.

I would be restricting the dogs access to the neighbour as I would be really unhappy at someone feeding my dogs bread - I have seen a dog bloat and die after scoffing a belly full of stale/mouldy bread.