Schipperkes, Oh My!

Blackdogs

I recently had the pleasure of acquiring a little Schipperke puppy from a lovely breeder. She is six months old now and wow, this dog is amazing! She is highly intelligent, super easy to train and never, ever stops. This can be a challenging combination at times, but as I wanted a performance dog, her attributes suit me well.

I simply cannot believe, though, the sheer drive of this dog, food drive, prey drive and working drive. She's like a miniaturised Malinois on speed! :rofl: She leaves my drivey Kelpie for dead.

She also has an incredible nose on her. The other day she was trotting past the two metre high cat scratching post, she stopped dead in her tracks, threw her head back and started sniffing. She did an about turn, climbed to the very top of the post and found a tiny, singular cat treat to devour! :laugh: She has no fear of heights and can scale just about anything my Kelpie can.

My question is, why isn't customs brimming with these little creatures? :laugh: They're everything you would want in a detection dog, plus they're cheap to feed, long lived and easy to transport.

In conclusion, if anyone out there is looking for a small performance dog, a Schipperke is the way to go! :thumbsup:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree. I had one in the mid 1980's and did obedience with her. She was amazing sitting out there amongst the rotties, Dobes and GSD's. They all loved her.

She was very obedient and could be taken anywhere off lead by the time she was 3.

We went on a Gypsy caravan holiday and she spent three days either walking behind the Van, along side it or sitting up beside me. She loved our horses and looked sooo tiny next to the Clydesdales.

I decided to show her and she obtained her Champion title. The only reason I didn't breed her was I had been lead to believe she was born without a tail and when I realised that the poor babes would have to have them removed at the base I decided I couldn't do this.

Quiet a different situation these days.

Maybe someday I'll get another. :D

Maybe they are TOO much dog for customs etc... :rofl:

We have one around the corner...it rules the street! It never shuts up or stops running! and it has owners at home and 3 kids to play with and an acre of land...they love it...the rest of the area... ;) :laugh::laugh: Even on walks it tells dogs off...I have quite big dogs, but pass on the other side of the street.. :laugh: He obviously needs much more training, not his fault.

He is lovely and loving..but really has far too many batteries for me, makes my viz look quiet!!

So, where are photos of this lovely little girl??xxx :)

Edited by Monah

That was one of my choices when I went looking for a dog, but alas, too much fluff and too adorable, I like my dogs like I like my men--tough and rugged. :laugh:

They might look adorable, but these dogs are extremely tough. You should see her playing with a staffy! I think the last one stopped out of intimidation. :rofl:

I totally agree. I had one in the mid 1980's and did obedience with her. She was amazing sitting out there amongst the rotties, Dobes and GSD's. They all loved her.

She was very obedient and could be taken anywhere off lead by the time she was 3.

We went on a Gypsy caravan holiday and she spent three days either walking behind the Van, along side it or sitting up beside me. She loved our horses and looked sooo tiny next to the Clydesdales.

I decided to show her and she obtained her Champion title. The only reason I didn't breed her was I had been lead to believe she was born without a tail and when I realised that the poor babes would have to have them removed at the base I decided I couldn't do this.

Quiet a different situation these days.

Maybe someday I'll get another. :D

Aren't they incredible! You should get another, but don't wait too long. I was going to get one as my 'retirement breed'. Glad I decided to get one sooner. :laugh:

Maybe they are TOO much dog for customs etc... :rofl:

We have one around the corner...it rules the street! It never shuts up or stops running! and it has owners at home and 3 kids to play with and an acre of land...they love it...the rest of the area... ;) :laugh::laugh: Even on walks it tells dogs off...I have quite big dogs, but pass on the other side of the street.. :laugh: He obviously needs much more training, not his fault.

He is lovely and loving..but really has far too many batteries for me, makes my viz look quiet!!

So, where are photos of this lovely little girl??xxx :)

Too much for customs :rofl: :rofl:

I think and untrained Schipperke without boundaries is like an untrained working-line Shepherd. They will be a whirlwind of destruction and havoc, will take on anything and completely rule the house!

I'm very slack at taking pictures, my mother has taken a few, but they are still on her computer. I really need to get around to uploading some to mine. :o

Edited by Blackdogs

I had never heard of them until about 2 years ago. Hubby and I were at a show I think in Narranderra and we met the owner/ breeder who had a black one and a white one. Sooo cute! I love fluff! :D

We were told that they run off and you would never get them back. Reading above I guess it's not always true.

I had never heard of them until about 2 years ago. Hubby and I were at a show I think in Narranderra and we met the owner/ breeder who had a black one and a white one. Sooo cute! I love fluff! :D

We were told that they run off and you would never get them back. Reading above I guess it's not always true.

Yeah, I worried about that after reading some breed reviews. However, after talking to breeders, it seems that's not true at all. Mine certainly never leaves my side.

Yeah, I worried about that after reading some breed reviews. However, after talking to breeders, it seems that's not true at all. Mine certainly never leaves my side.

It was the owner/ breeder/ show person who told us this! :eek:

I love Schipps :thumbsup: Definitely need pics :D Would love to know the breeder of your dog - love the fellas but have been told some lines are better for sports than others.

I'll work on getting some images on this computer.

The breeder is: http://www.skipsabit.com/

As far as I can gather (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Schipp people) most of the Schipperkes in Australia are related in some way due to the small numbers. I was told my Schipp was the most outgoing, dominant, active of the litter, so it might be more important to find the right dog in the litter rather than the right breeder. :)

Oh. :laugh:

Well, maybe they're not big on training? Or maybe I should take back everything I said in my last comment and lines do matter. :laugh:

I love Schipps :thumbsup: Definitely need pics :D Would love to know the breeder of your dog - love the fellas but have been told some lines are better for sports than others.

I'll work on getting some images on this computer.

The breeder is: http://www.skipsabit.com/

As far as I can gather (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Schipp people) most of the Schipperkes in Australia are related in some way due to the small numbers. I was told my Schipp was the most outgoing, dominant, active of the litter, so it might be more important to find the right dog in the litter rather than the right breeder. :)

Thank you :)

:D

Oh. :laugh:

Well, maybe they're not big on training? Or maybe I should take back everything I said in my last comment and lines do matter. :laugh:

Ha ha I would trust your experience owning one more than my experience of a 10 minute chat! :D

Mine started obedience as a puppy and I guess she wasn't let off lead in any area she might endanger herself. When out camping, etc. she always was around and did as she was told. Not yappy either.

LizT, Schipps can be born without a tail :)

So I've been told but the amount I see with tails these days does imply that the majority were docked. Not even docked really which is shortening but totally removed. :(