Newbie Buying A Dog

jase293

hi guys,

as someone who has only had 2 dogs before , my first dog a staffy girl died of old age, my 2nd boy a staffy a rescue dog, died of tumours,

well i said id never buy another dog again, but my daughter has been asking me to get her 1 , so the last couple of months iv been looking at dogs for sale, both rescue and people selling backyard dogs, im amazed at the amount of dogs that are around , even here in deniliquin, my 1st atempt at getting a dog i thought id try the local ranger , but he kept saying theres no dogs for sale , so after a few times of asking and trying to leave my number , i gave up, then someone around the corner is selling staffys, so i went to check them out , they look healthy enoughth , but i dont want to buy from someone who only wants to make money ,and as there are so many staffys at pounds i didnt bother, then we heard of a guy who lives out of town who said he was a breeder of staffys, so i went to check his dogs out, his dog i think were always locked up and went crazy when you went near them, and when i asked him about the dogs he said they went registed , they looked to tall to be english staffys, a couple looked like pitbulls ? so i got out of there fast, well i have been looking on the net and im amazed at the number of dogs beeing bred , its unreal,

well then i was talking to a local real estate guy yesterday, and he was telling me about alitter of jack russell pups , so i went to check them out, the mum of the pups was a loverly quiet girl she let me pick the pups up without worrying about it , she was just about pure white , so after looking at them i was still not to shore ,so my daughter looked at them and picked out a white male, so then i asked the guy how much they were , and guess what he said, oh i dont even want these pups, so how does $25 dollars sound, it blew me away that the guy just thought of them as nothing, so i couldnt help myself i had to rescue 1 , so when there old enough ill go get the pup, i just hope the other pups get someone who will look after them, i thought they would cost more than $25 ?

well i also am in the prosses of getting a old basset hound girl, i heard about here from a friend , she is just turning 6 and the owners have decided they dont want here anymore , ? i think she was just used for a brood bitch , as her belly is just about dragging on the ground, the owners have been trying to sell here for $500 , but no one wanted her as the owners live way out in the middle of knowere , a 5 hour trip each way from here ,

after seeing some pics i thought, maybe i should try and give her a good home , so after talking to the owners they said i could have her for $150 , i hope im doing the right thing, as i havent owned a basset hound before , i havent got her yet as i have until next week to make up my mind, the owners said she is healthy needled and has rego papers, ?

on another good note last week i heard my brother inlaw was trying to give a jack russel x foxie away , so i knew that a friend of my older daughter who lost there old dog , and i thought they would love him, he is a great little dog, about 8 months old very quiet, well they were talking about getting another small dog, so they are going to take him, im so glad to have found him a home without him ending up in a pound somewere ,

well iv saved 2 dogs , and tryin to save a 3rd , i hope im doing the right thing, ? most dogs seem to be a throw away item these days,

there must be alot of people making a quick doller breeding pups out there ?,

what are the laws as to people breeding and selling dogs ?

also do any of you guys on here ever think of or buy from a backyard breeder , ? or have brought a backyard dog ? im shore there are some good dogs out there that were bred by a backyarder ,?

i feel bad buying a $ 25 dollar jack russell , but at least im saving 1 ?

lastly am i doing the right thing getting a 6 year old basset , the owners sounded like they looked after her , but i asked them why they are getting rid of her thay said they were going into another house and could only take 2 dogs ,? they were not bassets they were big black poodle looking things ? are bassets to old at 6 ? they said she would live to around 14 years ?

i feel like i am going to take her , if she is unwanted , ill try and give her a good home,

i dont know why but i love the thought of trying to help some unwanted dogs get a home, here in deni there is no one saving dogs at all ?

if i manage to save 2 or 3 at least they will have a home,

the funny thing is when i was growing up on my parents property , my dad had about 10 to 15 dogs at a time, we were not allowed near them as he said they were his working tools , i was never liked them at that time,

sorry for the long post , please reply as i would love to hear your thoughts,

I am sure more knowledgeable people will advise ou better about Bassets, but my thoughts are, she may welll not appreciate a young pup jumping all over her. :(

She may well have health issue's they havn't told you about ( poeple lie to offload their dogs).

I would be vary careful and do some research on the breed before you take her on.

old dogs are great, i love them, but make sure you know what you are in for first, and have somewhere she can get away from the pup too.

Found this with Google... fairly general, but covers most things Basset...

http://www.just-basset-hounds.com/basset-hound-breed.html

When looking at lifespan, well, there are many factors that go into it... bank on about 10-12 years, rather that the upper limit of 14, for this particular girl if she's been bred regularly.

Desexing her asap will have preventative benefits for her future health too.

T.

thanks for the help so far guys, i have to let the lady know if im taking the basset tomorrow night , so i have alot of thinking to do,

i have always thought about helping unwanted dogs, as here i cant find anyone who rescues them,

the local council and ranger dont even want to know , iv thought about trying to help small strays here but dont want to get in over my head, or even were to start,

yes it is amazing how people think of dogs and puppies these days.

my old girl talia an 8 year old husky was thrown away at age 3 because they had/having a baby or some pissweak excuse like that.... :)

good on you for wanting to help the unfortunate dogs out there :thumbsup:

but please make sure you know what your getting yourself into first you dont want to get in over your head.

good luck :)

Yep, I think its great of you too Jase wanting to help a rescue dog or two :)

I remember you from the rescue threads wanting to help a dog from one of the pounds...cant remember what happened but good on you for keeping at it and wanting to help a rescue........

Yep, I think its great of you too Jase wanting to help a rescue dog or two :)

I remember you from the rescue threads wanting to help a dog from one of the pounds...cant remember what happened but good on you for keeping at it and wanting to help a rescue........

hi , yes iv been thinking long and hard about getting another dog, i said after loseing my old staffy mate i would never do it again, but then i also thought if i got another dog it would be 1 less ending up in a pound somewere ,

i try not to look at the rescue section as its unreal the amout of dogs going thrue those places , alot of good dogs going to waste ,

i know taking on the old basset girl will be a challenge im still not shore what i am going to do,?

also the $25 jack russel pup im getting for my daughter will be 1 less wasted life,

but im lucky as i have a great relasionshp with my local vet , i have had a account with them for years , they let me pay off any work i have had done with my past dogs ,

so just saving a couple of dogs will be something ,

i have been thinking about trying in the future to start some type of rescue here , but dont know were to start , i thought even if i could list the dogs taken into the local pound that would be a start ? the local ranger dosent seem to want to save any dogs around here for some reason ? i guess its just to much work ,?

jakeyjangels thanks for the kind reply

Jase good on you for not being afraid to take the oldies on. As to your old bassett girl, she will likely repay you a hundred-fold - but do your homework and go in with your eyes open. This girl is likely to require some rehab and a lot of love and patience - and the vet work will cost.

Her 'undercarriage' (non-breeder here!) will likely eventually return to normal. I would suggest that you have her vet checked as soon as you get her - and be prepared for her needing some initial treatment (eyes, ears, skin etc.)

Then once her undercarriage is 'up' have her desexed ASAP.

My westie girl had had her last litter before I got her (I didn't know at the time) - so I waited a couple of months for her undercarriage to go up and then had her desexed. Similarly with a cavvie who had been used for breeding who a friend took on - initially her undercarriage was on the ground yet after a few months she was back to normal.

So good on you for considering her - its a wonderful thing that you do - and I'm sure with some TLC she'll be a marvellous companion for you and your daughter.

Good luck! :)