Why Do Handlers

RiverStar-Aura

My interest in showing dogs has been slowly increasing over the last few months to the point that I know it's something I'd love to do. I've been tempted to enter Kirah into shows to try out for neuter titles but I know I don't have the time to dedicate to showing just yet.

For now I'm happy looking at photos and watching dog shows.

I would like to know though the point to holding out a dog's tail when it's being judged. If the dog's tail isn't supposed to be erect then why make it point up by holding it? And vice versa. If the dog's tail is supposed to be erect, doesn't it stick out naturally?

I guess I'm just wondering because in most of the show photos I've seen, the handler is holding the tail up and I was just wondering why this is done. :confused:

It would depend on the breed.. For some it would be aesthetically pleasing, others because the standard says "tail errect". A dog doesn't always wag it's tail, nor hold it out or up

for many reasons when "stacked".

With my breed, they should have a sabre tail, so holding it up can straighten a more curled tail but more usually it is done to show the back is short - tails left to hand naturally can give the illusion of the back being longer then desirable.

There are plenty of breeds that are supposed to have erect tails and do so when walking around/being active. Standing like a statue 5 minutes can make even the most alert dog drop it's tail.

Some hold tails to mimic how the dog looks like when "on point", or when they have found quarry. It looks more sporting.

Other times it's a control issue, holding a tail means you can keep the dogs weight evenly distributed or push the weight onto their fronts.

It's the norm in a lot of breeds to give a typical outline.

There are plenty of breeds that are supposed to have erect tails and do so when walking around/being active. Standing like a statue 5 minutes can make even the most alert dog drop it's tail.

Some hold tails to mimic how the dog looks like when "on point", or when they have found quarry. It looks more sporting.

Other times it's a control issue, holding a tail means you can keep the dogs weight evenly distributed or push the weight onto their fronts.

It's the norm in a lot of breeds to give a typical outline.

This is the case with Golden Retrievers. They hold their tail out when on the move so when stacked it creates a nice outline and shows a straight top line. Some exhibitors free stack with the tail wagging and depending on the judge I try and show both ways.

I don't have to worry about tails with the Aussies :p but with the Irish I hold the tail on the stack, its up on the move but standing in a line up for ages while the judge does their thing makes her drop her tail, giving a completely different look and she loses the alert, on her toes 'terrier' look. She's a pretty mellow girl, her brother will have his up 99% of the time on the stack and so his isn't touched. Depends on the dog and what's going on.

Aussies are a "free stack" when on the ground ie let them stand naturally with encouragement to get them to stand alert, on the table some people hand stack and some free stack. At home when training for show by all means try to teach them to hold their tail erect, usually just by stroking the underside in an upwards motion. An Aussie will hold its tail erect when on the move.

If your breeder is a show person ask if they can teach you or is there show classes near you?

Edited by Austerra

With the Weims I hold it up - shows where the tail set should sit when erect. with the OES, i tuck the tail right down... the less tail they have the better :laugh:

What annoys me is handlers that hold up tails of dogs that should have their tail sit level or below the level of the back, like Setters. it looks unnatural and completely incorrect, and if their tail was the correct set, i am sure it does their backs no good to have it yanked up that high.

With lappies, many of us hold their tails up in the stack because there are judges that think they're supposed to be up in the stack like a Samoyed - our standard says it can be down, but must be up on the move.

And having the tail over the back also changes how a dog looks - ie tail down makes the dog look longer through the back :) So I usually hold the tail in place if the dog doesn't have it up naturally on the stack but when free stacking after a workout I don't ;) I also don't bother if the dog is uncomfortable in the ring for any reason :)

With the Weims I hold it up - shows where the tail set should sit when erect. with the OES, i tuck the tail right down... the less tail they have the better :laugh:

What annoys me is handlers that hold up tails of dogs that should have their tail sit level or below the level of the back, like Setters. it looks unnatural and completely incorrect, and if their tail was the correct set, i am sure it does their backs no good to have it yanked up that high.

Agree. I think some people forget that the tail is part of the spine...

I have a breed that calls for the tail to be "falling naturally at rest", meaning it just hangs limply, which doesn't look very good on the stack. Sometimes I will hold the tail out while the judge is looking and then drop it to show them both how the dog can look when the tail is carried out (looks impressive) and then drop it to show that the tail is correct.

It's the same with Great Danes ears, my dad always used to 'crop' the Danes by hand to show off their heads and then drop the ears to show they had the correct ear set.

I don't have to worry about tails with the Aussies :p but with the Irish I hold the tail on the stack, its up on the move but standing in a line up for ages while the judge does their thing makes her drop her tail, giving a completely different look and she loses the alert, on her toes 'terrier' look. She's a pretty mellow girl, her brother will have his up 99% of the time on the stack and so his isn't touched. Depends on the dog and what's going on.

Ahem, don't forget the ears!

'All I see are flat ears!'

Ahem, don't forget the ears!

'All I see are flat ears!'

Until the girls caught sight of each other!

"What are with your ears?" Inset flapping hands near head. :laugh: I loved that judge, best one ever! :thumbsup:

No tails up for Pyreneans. They are left to hang down naturally in the stack (but that way the judge can see the 'shepherds crook'). On the move the tail may either be down/flowing behind or 'making the wheel' (arronderra) which they do when alert. Of course a show ring is boring so they don't always make the wheel :laugh:

With Dalmatians the tail is held out to help create a nice outline when stacked. If the dog is wagging its tail however, I have always just left it as it is holding it out naturally.

Don't get me started on ears. I hate it when judges try and bait a Pyr to get their ears up!! :mad It totally ruins expression and tells them nothing (though tells a Pyr exhibitor a LOT about what the judge doesn't know ;) ). Ears are meant to be low set, level with the eyes and held close to the head.

Edited by espinay2