What Is The Worst Thing Your Dog Has Eaten?

dubbleyoo

Our Lab is well known for her coprophagia (horses and dogs), she literally follows the others around in the morning waiting for it............. We have learned to live with is as we cant stop it just don't let her lick you. Well the other day after doing her version of poo patrol she picked up a cake of Sard Wonder soap we had been using to whiten a horses tail. She managed to eat most of it before we could get it back. What to do? We rang the poisons info line (they will give animal poison info if they have it) and they said the human treatment for sard is to induce vomiting. Into the crate goes the lab and out comes the washing soda crystals. After about 6 handfuls the lab vomits. What came out had a smell all of it's own and a texture that has no words to describe!!!! I had to leave the laundry and get the OH to clean out the crate I just could not do it!!!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh and I forgot. One of our BC's ate a coke can!! Yep she was just 12 months old picked it up and started chewing it!!! When we got all of the pieces and tried putting it back together 1/2 of it was missing. Yep a panicked call to the vet!! Did you know a dogs stomach can dissolve aluminium as thin as that on a coke can????? Neither did we…

Edited by Bull Arab

Bosco was always pretty good, and never really chewed the normal things that puppies chew on - however, when he did chew something, he did it right, and it was always due to his seperation anxiety.

When he was a pup, I used to keep him in the spare room to keep him out of mischief while I was not home. He ate the bottom out of a lounge, presumably so he could sleep in there, and he also used to chew on the bottom of the door trying to get out.

Once I had to put him in the garage because I had to keep the dogs seperated, and I came home to one of the corners chewed out.

He ate through my wooden fence at home and escaped the yard. Admittedly, it was just normal planks of wood you see on fencing, so probably not too difficult for him. This was while I was out of state with work, so my dad collected him and kept him at his place. Bosco then ate through my dads wooden gate, ate a hole straight through it, and this gate is about twice the thickness of standard fencing, and solid wood. He escaped again. After that, mum took him until I got home, because she has metal dog runs.

After I got home from said work trip, I had to keep him in the house for a week while I was builing him his own run, and I came home one day to a half chewed through laundry door. I bought some chicken mesh and nailed it to the door in the hope that he would leave it alone. But when I got home the next day, he was waiting at the front door for me. He had managed to not only eat through the chicken mesh, but also the rest of the laundry door (which I obviously had to replace) and then started on the front door trying to get out of the house, destroying the carpet in the meantime.

The run was built that following weekend, and as a result, have not had to replace any doors or carpet since.

Oh and I forgot. One of our BC's ate a coke can!! Yep she was just 12 months old picked it up and started chewing it!!! When we got all of the pieces and tried putting it back together 1/2 of it was missing. Yep a panicked call to the vet!! Did you know a dogs stomach can dissolve aluminium as thin as that on a coke can????? Neither did we…

That's interesting, years ago when I was in remote WA, our JRT x ate a lasagne tin foil dish (not all of it). We watched and waited but he was fine! Due to our location, there was no vet for over 1000km so he would have met a sad end had he had a reaction.

We joked that he could produce some silver bullets but we found nothing! Obviously he dissolved it, things you learn.

My boys have eaten various objects ... garden watering system (microsprays), wood, rocks, plastic, concrete, plants, fish pond pumps, aircondition cables ... just to name a few.

While they don't tend to "eat" too much recently they do chew on items. My older boy just loves squeaky toys ... unfortunately the angry green tree frog (while I am sure it sounded like a fun squeaky toy) didn't appreciate my boy's love and squirted him with some nasty smelling stuff which resulted in some vomitting and lots of grass eating.

Green tree frog was rescued and after being rinsed in fresh rain water was released angry but otherwise unharmed ... in a safer dog free area.

One of my previous SBTs was scared of loads of things and one night he was in the laundry while we went out and he tried to chew his way through the wall. By the time we got home the gyprock on his face had dried into a grimace. He pooed white for a few days. We also thought we had a mouse problem with our chook food (also stored in the laundry). Nope, he was helping himself to snacks throughout the night. Another time he ate a 4.5kg bag of Hills WD (again stored in the laundry for another of our dogs) and his belly was swollen up like he'd swallowed a basketball. That stuff is full of fibre so I think his bottom got a good work out.

I still miss that silly boy.

Our gsd tried to eat a pin cushion he stole of the table when my mm got up to get a cuppa, we all heard a yelp saw the pin cushion on the ground and kovu with his mouth open when my dad got to him and looked in his mouth he had a pin in the roof of him mouth and NOT the pointy end poor boy. But he got over that puppy chew everything he see's stage quickly

mmm where do i start

cords to the salt water fish tank more then once

a bag of calcium power for the horses

horse feed

chook feed

cuttings of the horses feet when the horses had their feet trimmed

carpet off cuts

loads of kids toys (soft toys, heads and hands off all the barbies etc)

legs of the dinning chairs

a bottle of cremé de menthe (which she also rolled in and was stained green for weeks)

vegemite

the crutch out all my swimmers :confused:

money

all the skiirting boards in 3 rooms

my handbag

mp3 player

a kong (so much for them being indestructible)

countless tennis balls

yet she never put a hole in her fav squeaky ball and had it for years until a friends dog got hold of it.

A whole rat.I'm not sure if dead when it was eaten.

One night he made this hideous sound and spewed up the putrid entire rat in one piece encased in thick mucous.

It made a gross sound as it hit the ground and I have never smelt anything so grotesque and putrid.We all just ran away as it was sooo bad :)

I think I have been pretty lucky with Smooch after reading all the posts. The worst thing he has actually eaten is nice scourery poo from calves :eek: When he was younger anything that had sponge rubber in it would be fair game, but he never ate it just wrecked it. My new kelpie working dog who is very much like Smooch in behavior is also a sponge rubber chewer.

The SBT we had ate most things :mad

think it's a staffy thing

but his favourite thing was right shoes, only the right, never the left

watering systems, hoses, buckets, kids toys, the kids cubby house

we still have the cubby house, and the teeth marks brings back memories of when he was here :cry:

neither of my current 2 are really chewers, but Jess loves to baby the soft toys :heart: , then guts them

Sheila ate pretty much everything: Sticks, stones (in fact she would duck dive for them on the bottom of the river) numerous plants in the backyard, the head off a off a terracotta duck ornament, the knob off a desk door, hundreds (I swear!) of dog beds, renovated the front of her kennel many times but the worst thing which almost killed her was half a tennis ball which required surgical removal. I'm sure the Vet was amazed she actually survived.

Trevor's worst offence was swallowing one of those rabbit fur squeaky rats ....whole! I tried to get it out of him, the vet tried to get it out and while we were in the vet contemplating another surgery a little Pom came in with suspected rat poisoning. I can't recall what it was but they put a tablet in his eye to make him vomit. So, I suggested it might be worth a try with Trev since I fed him just before he ate the rat. At this stage I reckon the vet was thinking I imagined him swallowing it and he handn't scoffed it at all, but she agreed. She gave him the tablet and left us with a cat litter tray to catch whatever came out. Well, what came out was the RAT, whole, complete with fur, ears and eyes followed by the recent dinner. Just when I may have some chance of convincing the vet I wasn't a total nutter, I did a happy dance around the surgery holding it up saying "It's a rat, it's a rat, we have a rat!!!" LOL

Mick eats the usual poo, horse, bird etc but apart from ripping the guts out of and chewing up toys, we haven't had any major dramas so far....touch wood. For whatever reason he doesn't eat his bed either which is good.

Lena so far has chewed the wires off the treadmill, my shoes, my socks, my undies, the bottom of my leather lounge and she has a fetish for tissues. She eats horse and bird poo as well which is bad enough, but the one thing that makes me gag is if she retrieves a kitty cat crunchy from the cat litter tray and brings it into the kitchen to eat. Fortunately, I have been having some success with stopping the last one.

Oh Daveri, wait till one of your dogs finds Wombat crap!!!! Mick rolled in it and I swear it's the Aussie equivalent of Skunk :vomit: Bloody hell, more I tried to wash it out the stronger the stink got. I was seriously considering washing the offending dog in tomato juice in desperation.