Advice Needed For Seized Dog

LouBon

Hi all,

I've been asked to post this for a friend who works near this man and sees him and the dog every day. Other Melbourne people might know of this as there was a bit of a scene when it happened yesterday apparently. Members of the public and office workers who know this man were defending him and the dog but to no avail. Very sad, if there are any constructive offers of advice, please PM me.

"Before I explain the situation I should add that I have seen this man and his dog every day for the past 7 months. I pat the dog every time I walk past him.

He has never once reacted/behaved in a way which would be described as dangerous. I have a view of Mr M and Bull from my work desk and every day I watch people on the street approach Bull and pat and engage him. The only reaction Bull has is joy.

Mr M is a homeless man who sits in the center of the city each day with his black German Shepherd cross, Bull.

Bull is muzzled and is restrained on a lead at all times.

On Thursday 3 November, 2011 at approximately 1:30pm, the Animal control officer from Melbourne city council seized Bull.

Mr M was advised that a member of the public had made a complaint about Bull and that Bull was being seized until such time that the matter could be heard in court. Council will be arguing that Bull should be declared a dangerous dog, and therefore, will no longer be able to sit with Mr M in the city, as he has every day of his life.

Mr M is extremely distressed at the situation. He is homeless and as you can imagine, in an impossible situation. If Bull is declared dangerous,Mr M will no longer be able to keep him due to the strict regulations of keeping a dangerous dog in Victoria.

If Bull is declared a dangerous dog there is no other alternative except euthanasia.

Mr M's main concern at this stage is Bull's wellbeing. Mr M is not allowed to have any contact with him, nor will council advise where Bull is impounded.

Bull has spent every day of his life by Mr M's side and would be terrified and confused. He will be impounded at least up until the court date in about a months time.

At this stage Mr M is virtually helpless and extremely vulnerable to councils decision. He is not able to defend Bull as other people may be is a position to do for their pets.

Being homeless, Mr M does not have the resources or the means to fight council to get his best mate back. He desperately needs all the help he can possibly get.

If there is anyone who would be willing to offer advice on this situation, it would be most appreciated. "

How sad.

Edited by LouBon

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, that is so sad.

But surely Mr M can still go through Legal Aid to get help with this?

They might even be able to recommend a lawyer who will work for free to help, some lawyers do.

Or couldn't one of Mr M friends who pat Bull everyday contact the local paper or ACA and tell them about it?

The Media can make councils, or anyone, think about what they are doing....

Lynn

The dog was on lead and muzzled, and it isn't a restricted breed.

But was it registered?

But I didn't think they could automatically confiscate a dog for being unregistered - all they could do is fine the owner.

And people wonder why I don't want to bring my dog to Victoria for training seminars.

So I think that council acted improperly.

But you really need state politicians and media to lean on this one. We've got Leon Viner in SA (radio broadcaster), who is the equivalent in Victoria?

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

As Nekhbet has said, what was the complaint?

Surely he has a right to know what the complaint is, where the dog is impounded and to visit him short term?

Very sad :( I really feel for dog owners in VIC.

ETA Owners are allowed to visit their dogs at the local shelter I volunteer with.

Edited by Nic.B

The dog was on lead and muzzled, and it isn't a restricted breed.

But was it registered?

Can you even register a dog if you don't have an address? I can't imagine how :confused:

Sad story :(

No. But the council couldn't prove that the dog resides in their council! If I brought one of my dogs into the city, they wouldn't be registered with Melb City Council either.

Shame on them for picking on a homeless person, whose only companion would be this dog. Meanwhile, venture down to South Yarra and see plenty of off lead dogs in on lead areas (eg Botanical Gardens). Talk about picking on the most vulnerable.

Poor guy :( Poor dog.

If you want something done, then go the TV, Radio and News Papers.

I agree, that is so sad.

But surely Mr M can still go through Legal Aid to get help with this?

They might even be able to recommend a lawyer who will work for free to help, some lawyers do.

Or couldn't one of Mr M friends who pat Bull everyday contact the local paper or ACA and tell them about it?

The Media can make councils, or anyone, think about what they are doing....

Lynn

Yes this.

I've just checked, the complaint was against the dog for 'rushing' someone even though he was leashed and muzzled. Would this be considered illegal?

Apparently the poor guy was physically distressed and crying for the rest of the afternoon. I doubt he is registered, but like Weasles said, he hasn't got a fixed address.

My friend once sat with him and asked what he needed most, expecting him to say money ect. But all he said was he would love a treat for his 'mate'. She bought a heap of good quality food and he was over the moon.

She is writing to council,and it would be good to generate some discussion on local radio, but we really need to be careful to avoid the huge population of vocal pro BSL crowd here who have no sympathy or tolerance.

She offered to look for the dog and visit him but he said they refused to tell him which pound he was being kept in. When the rangers came, the dog was wagging his tail and jumped straight into the van unassisted. She said it was heartbreaking to watch. I too suggested legal aid but I don't really know how the world of appealing to councils and breed assessments works, if anyone can shed some light?

It's such a volatile state for dogs here at the moment, it's out of control. :(

On the City of Melbourne Council website it states:

Menacing dogs

What’s a menacing dog?

The City of Melbourne may declare a dog ‘menacing’ if it has rushed at or chased someone.

What do I need to do if I own a menacing dog?

The City of Melbourne will advise you if you need to:

to muzzle the dog when it’s outside of your property

have the dog on a leash any time that it's off your property.

What if I don’t do these things?

Under the Domestic Animals Act 1994, the City of Melbourne can issue fines to anyone who doesn’t fulfil their obligations as a responsible pet owner.

Where does it state they can seize the dog if it hasnt attacked someone? - looks like a fine is all that is applicable?

Poor guy

How horrible for him to watch his best mate being taken away like that and to not be able to visit, how distressing for both him and Bull

:crossfingers: Someone can help them both

Victoria is turning into a scary place for dogs

Why was the dog kept muzzled? Doesn't that suggest that the owner had some concerns about whether or not the dog would bite someone? And why would he be concerned about that? Could it be because maybe the dog had bitten someone in the past?

As far as I know, people don't muzzle their dogs for no good reason.

I've just checked, the complaint was against the dog for 'rushing' someone even though he was leashed and muzzled. Would this be considered illegal?

Apparently the poor guy was physically distressed and crying for the rest of the afternoon. I doubt he is registered, but like Weasles said, he hasn't got a fixed address.

My friend once sat with him and asked what he needed most, expecting him to say money ect. But all he said was he would love a treat for his 'mate'. She bought a heap of good quality food and he was over the moon.

She is writing to council,and it would be good to generate some discussion on local radio, but we really need to be careful to avoid the huge population of vocal pro BSL crowd here who have no sympathy or tolerance.

She offered to look for the dog and visit him but he said they refused to tell him which pound he was being kept in. When the rangers came, the dog was wagging his tail and jumped straight into the van unassisted. She said it was heartbreaking to watch. I too suggested legal aid but I don't really know how the world of appealing to councils and breed assessments works, if anyone can shed some light?

It's such a volatile state for dogs here at the moment, it's out of control. :(

Has the dog/owner had any other complaints made against them in the past? I am just wondering why he is muzzled and why council have been so hard on them.

Terribly sad.

Why was the dog kept muzzled? Doesn't that suggest that the owner had some concerns about whether or not the dog would bite someone? And why would he be concerned about that? Could it be because maybe the dog had bitten someone in the past?

As far as I know, people don't muzzle their dogs for no good reason.

There are a multitude of uses for a muzzle beyond aggression. :rolleyes: