Do We Worry Too Much

mini girl

My girl as I have posted before had a beautiful litter of 8 - 3 weeks ago on Sunday - she has been doing so well but today started panting - oh no I thought - is it esclampsia!! gave her a good big dose of calcium syrup - had been so careful to include lots of calcium rich food in her diet but let her have more steak mince for a couple of meals - ran out of the puppy food - but feeding 8 pups has been a bit of a drain I feel on a 9klo mini poodle - after she had the calcium she seemed a lot better - I felt her temp was a bit up - a bit over 39 - but thought perhaps I was just a bit overly concerned. Tonight she started the panting again and I gave her some more calcium and puppy milk and she ate a few chicken necks but I was still concerned so my husband took her to the afterhour vet to make sure she was ok - well $350 later and several tests - she came home again and they said she in fine - but I will continue with the calcium rich food and start to wean the pups a bit - put a flat bowl of wambaroo in for them tonight and they did drink some. Its just so hard to know should you go to the vet or are you being too much of a worryer - but at least I can sleep tonight knowing she doesn't have esclampsia. Just as well I have a good and supportive husband who loves our dogs as much as I do - he thought I was being too concerned but didn't say a word about that when he brought our girl home - I couldn't go we were minding our 3 year old grandson who was in bed asleep.

post-36106-0-71752000-1320414651_thumb.jpg

Gorgeous puppies :) No I would have gone to the vet too. Better safe than sorry & it was sensible under the circumstances.

The pups are old enough to start eating now so maybe take mum away for short periods so they get a little hungry. I find warm meat juice is more tempting than milky stuff for them at first & mix it with some really mashed up mince or farex baby cereal. The milk substitutes don't smell like mums milk anyway however each to their own way. You know how to do it :)

My tiny poodles start eating around day 20 & soon get greedy & eager.

Worrying shows you care. More of a worry when there is a problem & the owner does nothing.

Gorgeous puppies :) No I would have gone to the vet too. Better safe than sorry & it was sensible under the circumstances.

The pups are old enough to start eating now so maybe take mum away for short periods so they get a little hungry. I find warm meat juice is more tempting than milky stuff for them at first & mix it with some really mashed up mince or farex baby cereal. The milk substitutes don't smell like mums milk anyway however each to their own way. You know how to do it :)

My tiny poodles start eating around day 20 & soon get greedy & eager.

Worrying shows you care. More of a worry when there is a problem & the owner does nothing.

Thanks Christina - yes I will start giving them a bit more food and as you say giving mum a bit of a break away - she seemed so happy to have had an outing when she came back from the vet and this morning she is right as rain - she has an appointment for a full grooming on MOnday morning - that will make her feel better - my groomer is amazing and I will drop her off and go back as soon as she is ready - we are moving the pups to the bigger pen today with room for feeding so here we go again - thanks for the tips on the feed to start them off with - I have all that so will give it a go some of the bigger ones are really happy to start eating - were even stealing a taste of mums food a couple of days ago.

Glad your girl is ok... eclampsia is a nasty thing, and you did the right stuff :) !

I do think sometimes folks forget though that being in an enclosed space with so many other heat producing bodies..and working to produce milk can make bitches just plain hot and uncomfortable.

she has an appointment for a full grooming on MOnday morning - that will make her feel better -

Hmm... no way would I be taking a lactating bitch anywhere where other dogs are in numbers .. for risk of carrying something back to unprotected puppies.

My groomer will do her on her own - she is not a big concern will be no other dogs there she does the dogs at her own home - she will be just there for the bath and clip and then straight home - I'll stay with her the whole time. Its just that she was needing a clip before the pups came but with her needing progesterone suppliments my vet said do nothing that in any way will stress her - so left her but its getting so hot here now around 28 to 30 in Queensland and she is hot and soooo wooly feel a grooming may make her more comfortable but certainly don't want to risk anything - I know my groomer is very hygenic in her grooming room - the pups will be over 3 weeks - do you think I should leave it another week or two - got me all worried now what is the lesser of the two evils - I may ask the goomer to come to my place instead this time. Would probaly be a better idea.

ANYTHING is better than parvo or gastro for little puppies !!

provide a cool surface for your bitch..fans/ice bricks/ice water , or a coolmat for everyone :)

Of course can do all that - have air condition if necessary - is your main concern though that she could pick up something at the groomers home or just having her done in general - if there is no infections present at the groomers she would be very unlikey to get or carry anything home - or as I said before get her groomed at my home - do you feel that would work. She does have a very dense and curly coat and its getting a bit matted with pups crawling all over her - poodles left can be so darn awful in looks as well as comfort. I could clip her myself but sadly much as I try I don't seem to have the talent to make them look as good as my groomer does. At the end of the day don't want anything to hurt my girl or her pups - will give it some thought.

im nowhere in the experienced range of some of the above breeders posts but i definately wouldnt take my bitch outside of the house at this early puppy age, you have been through alot it would be silly to risk it at the sake of the dog being clipped....undertstandbly if she is uncomfortable I would just attempt to cut the coat myself and not worry about the actual cosmetic side does it matter if she looked a bit hacked for a short time (sorry I know nothing about grooming always had short hair breeds..!!) .....it will grow back and then you can get it done professionally?

Maybe I will have a rethink - love her to bits and don't want her or her babies to be in any kind of danger - I'll do bit of a trim up myself - probably won't look too bad you know - she is sooo pretty I have people coming to see the pups from 4 weeks and I guess I don't want them to think I neglect my dogs - probably silly but there was a hugh thing up here in Qld a few years ago about a big breeder of poodles who had them looking so bad all wre seized by the RSPCA - I've put a photo on of how she looks at present - wooly but ok - guess people will understand. What do you think - would you buy a puppy from a breeder whos mother dog looks like this? when you analize it it does seem a bit ridicuous - I guess I would be understanding under the circumstances - so hope my future owners will be also.

post-36106-0-01660900-1320479807_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't be taking her anywhere. Just do the best you can until pups are older. I don't think I would be having people come to view the pups at four weeks either. If they do come, I would suggest that you do not allow them to pick them up but just watch them. Your girl may be fine with you and family but having strangers around the pups will be a different thing. Some bitches are OK but others go into protective mode.

Your babies look very cute and Mum looks very happy with herself too.

I wouldn't be taking her anywhere. Just do the best you can until pups are older. I don't think I would be having people come to view the pups at four weeks either. If they do come, I would suggest that you do not allow them to pick them up but just watch them. Your girl may be fine with you and family but having strangers around the pups will be a different thing. Some bitches are OK but others go into protective mode.<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); "><br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); ">Your babies look very cute and Mum looks very happy with herself too.

definitely no strangers anywhere on the same floor/ surface as puppies! No picking up, either.... And your girl looks lovely!! :) :)

why are you worrying bout a better 'look' at the groomers?

so what if you stuff up. fur grows back. If she looks bad, so what, its better for YOUR piece of mind, right?

or would you rather put her pups at risk, but at least she would look good?

Id nto have anyone roudn to look, I even dont have visitors when I have a litter. my family know now to ring before they want to come around. ( they think i had 14 litters last year, according to them.. I havent had a litter in about 2 years though heehee)

At four weeks only one couple who have been corresponding with me for some time a good distance out of Brisbane - met them at a poodle gathering - they are going to be in Brisbane and would like to see mum and dad and the puppies - yes not to pick up and play with - but just like to have a look - I honestly don't have a problem with this = my dogs have their litters in the house and the pups are in our family room from 3 weeks so they get used to the comings and going of a household - this girl has a tremperment so sweet and gentle - - my girls are not the least bit fazed by people coming a few friends and family have looked in the box and she almost seems proud to show them off -my 3 bitches I've bred with are all like this I am happy to say - but of couse I never take advantage of their good nature and allow anyone to just come in and handle my puppies. This would be asking for trouble. But when you have people waiting for months for a pup they naturally are anxous to have a peek. As for mum - as you say Missymoo a bath and a brush will do wonders - a quick scissor job on the top knot and hey presto a halfway presentable poodle. I'll do it tomorrow and post a photo - but by the way she does get brushed regularly in any case - poodles are high maintenance but so worth it. .