Snake Bite

Leithy

Hello,

Our family dog, who is about eight years old Jack Russel Terrier, unfortunately sustained a snake bite -unknown time and unsure of what snake- she lives in Queensland with my parents, and they are visiting at the moment. Recieved a call today saying that Jess (the JRT) is on a drip, is paralyzed, and eyes are not normal. Poor guy who is taking care of Jess is devastated.

The vet thinks its been over 24 hrs since the bite and anti venom won't help. Just wondering if anyone had some words of advice, or their own stories about snake bites. Anyone have any idea of recovery time if there a chance? I would appreciate any words of wisdom, even if the outcome has been the worst.

Thanks

Leithy

Really have no words of advice; the only comfort I can offer is the fact she survived so long before veterinary intervention means she is one tough critter & won't be giving in easily! Cats will often pull through after days of being paralyzed on a drip, though it is not normal for dogs. Hugs to you & your family, & here's hoping the healing vibes of DOL will pull Jess through.

My girl China was bitten by a black snake in September and survived. (She had been bitten by a brown in April too)

She was definitely bitten prior to 3pm and we didn't know until the next morning as there wasn't anything to suggest she had been bitten. She was at the vet about 7am the following morning but didn't get anti-venom until about 8am as it wasn't until then that I discovered the dead snake.

She was paralyzed, her eyes were bulging and she was in a very very bad way for about 36 hours.

She was given the "multi-purpose" anti-venom as we really couldn't identify the snake at first. The original ID was a brown, then the vet decided to try another expert as in her opinion China would have been dead if she'd been bitten by a brown given the time frame.

The anti-venom could well do nothing and the multi one is very expensive, so unless they have pet insurance your parents need to decide if they want to give the dog a chance and can afford to spend the money when it could be useless - this sounds heartless but they'll be lucky to walk away less than $3k out of pocket even if the dog doesn't make it and in the real world this does have to be considered. We made the choice to give China the anti venom and give her 24 hours, if there was no improvement in that time she would have been given her wings.

It is a very personal and difficult decision and my heart goes out to your family.

Edited by Sandra777

She's taken a couple of steps this morning, just waiting for the vet to call and give us an update- she is a little battler, even though she's scared of thunderstorms :laugh: fingers crossed, thank you for your kind words!!

Strange they didn't try the antivenine. A friends BC has just survived a brown snake bite. She had no symptoms until 12-20 hours after being bitten, then suddenly became completely paralysed. She was given 2 doses of antivenene and spent 5 days on a drip and has survived with no ill affects.

Hey guys,

Jess had her eyelids stitched to prevent any damage, and is standing and eating which is fantastic because shes a very finicky eater- Mum will be able to pick her up when she gets home Friday, which will be great. Fingers crossed she recovers well!

Unfortunately our cat up there must have found the snake because they had to put him down... RIP Smegel, he was a gorgeous friendly cat, mum got him not long after they moved up there.

Thanks for all your thoughts guys :) Jess is home with mum now, being very spoilt, needs lots of TLC. Fingers crossed she doesn't need to have any of her eyes removed, mum is bringing her down to SA for Christmas, can't wait.

I loved Smegel, he was so friendly and slept with me every night I'd stay there in QLD on holiday. Very vocal cat too, huge cat but very very sweet.

Will keep you updated :)