Fleas

Chicken

Remember the fleas often have to bite the dog for the treatment to work so they'll itch for some time.

OMG I just noticed Ginger having a scratch :eek: Time to treat mine.

Apparently greyhounds are sensitive to insecticides so you can't use flea collars on them (read that somewhere). I don't like the idea of the tablet - they eat the flea poison?

Another Comfortis user here. Started all dogs on it here again from October. Had to find a solution last summer when the flea problem reared its ugly head here for the first time. After using Capstar, flea washes and rinses I was sick of washing and spraying the dogs continually - easy with the short coated breed but a pain with the long coats. Decided to try Comfortis and had to pay a premium for it at a local petstore around the $75.00 mark as i needed it urgently. Now I buy it on Ebay or I can order from the Ebay sellers online store - Budget Pet Products. Just renewed my supply and it cost $48.75 for Comfortis pink 6 pack with free postage and handling. While it works for me I will keep using it.

Remember the fleas often have to bite the dog for the treatment to work so they'll itch for some time.

OMG I just noticed Ginger having a scratch :eek: Time to treat mine.

Apparently greyhounds are sensitive to insecticides so you can't use flea collars on them (read that somewhere). I don't like the idea of the tablet - they eat the flea poison?

I use Advocate on my own greys and my foster dogs and we've never had fleas (we had one dog come in crawling with fleas but the Advocate fixed that very quickly). Couldn't recommend it highly enough.

I do keep a couple of boxes of Capstar in the cupboard but it'd have to be really bad (like a severely infested dog) before I'd use them in favour of Advocate. I'd consider them something to provide more immediate relief (for the dog) for bad infestations, rather than an actual method of controlling fleas.

The Advocate also kills a lot of other things, too. Both of my greys are mostly white so in summer, they attract flies (who eat their ears) but Advocate also seems to kill flies if used every fortnight, rather than just monthly.

Admittedly it's not as cheap as other options but for what it does, it's well worth the money.

Typo

Edited by Hardy's Angel

Aggghhhhhh! I need to join in this thread. We've just moved here from the UK, and my dogs have never had a flea in their lives. They get treated with Advantix fortnightly (for ticks) which is supposed to address fleas as well. Having just moved into a rental house, the dogs can get under the house and there's loads of dirt, so I assume there are fleas under there. There is also a stray cat who comes into the yard all the time and I often find her laying on the dog bedding which I have put outside to air or dry after washing, so I have a feeling that she bought some fleas in with her too and transferred them to their bedding.

Anyway, have not found a flea on the dogs at all, and they're not scratching or biting at themselves (not that I have noticed anyway), but I did find a dirty rotten flea on my dining table the other day!!! Ewwwwww! I was hoping it was just a once-off, but I have woken up this morning covered in itchy bites, which I can only assume are flea bites. Double ewwwwww! So, I need to get onto this quick smart, but I won't be able to bomb the house until Saturday (as I work and the dogs are indoor dogs during the day). I think this means I face up to 4 more days of being bitten by fleas at night while I sleep - triple ewwwwww!

Okay, so what do I need to do?

DOGS:

The dogs are already receiving spot-on treatments, should I wash them in a flea wash solution of some sort (if so - what sort?) and then re-apply Advantix afterwards? Should they be on those Comfortis or Capstar tablets? What do they do, and if I can't find fleas on the dogs do they really need those?

BEDDING:

The dog bedding is going to get thrown out (as I will never be certain that I managed to kill them all) and I'm going to buy some new vetbed (they needed replacing anyway so it's no big deal). All their dog towels will be washed at 95C with bleach on Saturday - will this kill fleas? All my bedding (the dogs sleep on my bed) will also be washed at 95C with bleach - or do I need to do something else, do I have to pest treat my own sheets? I only washed them on Sunday :(

HOUSE:

I'm going to flea-bomb the house this Saturday then bugger off somewhere for 4-6 hours while it works - where do I buy these things from, Bunnings?

YARD:

I read someone wrote something about treating the yard and under the house with lime and malaban - what are these things, where do I get them from, and are they harmful to pets or children?

I want to hit these pesky little buggers with everything I've got. I really can only assume the fleas were already in the yard / house when we got here, as we certainly didn't bring them from the UK with us. If I can't stop this happening then I might have to move house - I am not prepared to rent a house where the dogs can get under the house and keep getting re-infested with fleas :( They're inside dogs so only really go outside for short playtimes in the morning and evening, not sure how to stop the fleas coming back?

Agghhhhhh I am so itchy :( Would antihistamines help me at all for the next couple of days as the scratching is driving me crazy.

DOGS:

The dogs are already receiving spot-on treatments, should I wash them in a flea wash solution of some sort (if so - what sort?) and then re-apply Advantix afterwards? Should they be on those Comfortis or Capstar tablets? What do they do, and if I can't find fleas on the dogs do they really need those?

BEDDING:

The dog bedding is going to get thrown out (as I will never be certain that I managed to kill them all) and I'm going to buy some new vetbed (they needed replacing anyway so it's no big deal). All their dog towels will be washed at 95C with bleach on Saturday - will this kill fleas? All my bedding (the dogs sleep on my bed) will also be washed at 95C with bleach - or do I need to do something else, do I have to pest treat my own sheets? I only washed them on Sunday :(

HOUSE:

I'm going to flea-bomb the house this Saturday then bugger off somewhere for 4-6 hours while it works - where do I buy these things from, Bunnings?

YARD:

I read someone wrote something about treating the yard and under the house with lime and malaban - what are these things, where do I get them from, and are they harmful to pets or children?

I want to hit these pesky little buggers with everything I've got. I really can only assume the fleas were already in the yard / house when we got here, as we certainly didn't bring them from the UK with us. If I can't stop this happening then I might have to move house - I am not prepared to rent a house where the dogs can get under the house and keep getting re-infested with fleas :( They're inside dogs so only really go outside for short playtimes in the morning and evening, not sure how to stop the fleas coming back?

Agghhhhhh I am so itchy :( Would antihistamines help me at all for the next couple of days as the scratching is driving me crazy.

Dogs- I wouldn't wash them and then re-apply. Washing strips oil out of the coat and it's the oil that helps the product disperse through the coat. Advocate works really well so if you use some of that, you really shouldn't need the tablets unless you start finding fleas on the dogs.

Bedding- You can actually spray it down with permoxin. Although as far as I know, permoxin isn't safe for cats so if you're worried about the stray, best to just hot wash and then tumble dry. We use permoxin on a lot of dog stuff here- the Hound Houses get sprayed inside and out with it, coats get sprayed with it after being washed and I do the skirting of the dog room and any little cracks or crevices.

House- Flea bomb can be bought at most supermarkets. Coles have the Mortein ones and they work well.

Yard- Malaban is a concentrate to kill fleas. Mix with water, spray onto surfaces. Most pet shops should have it- the PetBarn down here defintiely has it. It can also be used for washing dog bedding.

You might also want to flea bomb under your house. There's no dog access to under ours (it has a locking hatch) but we put flea bombs in there a couple of times a year, just to be safe.

Thanks so much for your reply, much appreciated! Have spoken to the landlord and she's going to investigate prices for getting a professional exterminator in to treat both inside and outside for spiders, cockroaches etc as well as fleas, and if it is affordable then we will go halves which I think is fair. I haven't had many more bites, but I have seen 1 or 2 more fleas (still none on the dogs tho?) so I am madly vacuuming every chance I get!!

Cheers!

great info here.

I am currently using Advocate - had no problems. Bought home a foster and now our house is infested. Have bombed the house. But our dogs still have fleas on them. Bedding washed, have no access to under the house.

Can I use the comfortis tablets as well as Advocate?

Thanks

Edited by Guest

My dogs all have fleas.

I have treated them with frontline and powdered their beds. I have to wait 2 days to bath them and will be doing so with flea shampoo.

Is there anything else I can or should do?

My old Cav is really suffering with it. I had her in the bath and so much blood was washing off her I was horrified and so angry at myself for not seeing it earlier and letting her suffer.

Hello,

I do has to de flea my cat and dog who never had a flea before (Melbourne) and even had to bath them 2 times ina 2 weeks with lots of flea dirt comming out, and that was after using Advocate on both. I even got bitten on the ankles.

Humid weather is probably the course. So please don't blame yourself. I washed with Malaseb to reduce itch and to prevent any infection due to fleabites. Washed all bedding including mine and steamed the carpet and floors. It worked.

Take care

My dogs all have fleas.

I have treated them with frontline and powdered their beds. I have to wait 2 days to bath them and will be doing so with flea shampoo.

Is there anything else I can or should do?

My old Cav is really suffering with it. I had her in the bath and so much blood was washing off her I was horrified and so angry at myself for not seeing it earlier and letting her suffer.

Hello,

I do has to de flea my cat and dog who never had a flea before (Melbourne) and even had to bath them 2 times ina 2

weeks with lots of flea dirt comming out, and that was after using Advocate on both. I even got bitten on the ankles.

Humid weather is probably the course. So please don't blame yourself. I washed with Malaseb to reduce itch and to prevent any infection due to fleabites. Washed all bedding including mine and steamed the carpet and floors. It worked.

Take care

Sorry typos

I too use Comfortis on the dogs and the cats.

I used to use bombs. Now I buy the floor sprays & or carpet & flea spray & apply every couple of days.

Capstar is useful as well if the fleas are bad.....but it only kills the fleas on the animal. No residue effect.

We had a flea problem last summer

I beleive they came from cats hanging around since Sam passed away

We used Frontline on Tara

washed bedding

the house hold carpets I used Vinegar and water in spray bottle sprayed aroudn carpets and corners let it dry a bit then vacume

also household salt or Borax powder sprinkle around carpets then it sink in for few hours then vacume , it suffocates the fleas and eggs

also the spray bottle of vinegar and water spray on dog before they go outside and it repels fleas

sprayed and flea powder on bedding outside to deter the cats

a product called Keep Off also kept the cats away

or lavender reples fleas there also

I didnt want to use flea bombs due to allergies for humans

Mortein also put out a spray especially for fleas in carpet and that worked well also

another thing that worked well on the live flea on a dog is some oil in a syringe

squirt the flea with the oil syringe and it kills the flea instantly

Edited by Tara and Sam

I have found Comfortis to be really effective. My dog who has flea allergies hasnt scratch at since I started treating her with this product.

Fleas are terrible at the moment.

Comfortis, flea bomb every 3 months (as others have already said) & powder bedding etc. like you said you had done. I would wash dogs first though.