Fleas

Chicken

My dogs all have fleas.

I have treated them with frontline and powdered their beds. I have to wait 2 days to bath them and will be doing so with flea shampoo.

Is there anything else I can or should do?

My old Cav is really suffering with it. I had her in the bath and so much blood was washing off her I was horrified and so angry at myself for not seeing it earlier and letting her suffer.

My dogs have never had fleas. This year, I dont know, maybe cos it is so hot and wet and humid here, they like those conditions or something. all 4 dogs have them so I treated them all and the cat.

Saturday is a big bath day this week in my house. All 4 of them and then try to do the cat as well.....

I hate fleas too!

Until moving here, i haven't had any dogs with flea issues for years until we came here ! :mad

Apparently here is well known for it !

Both of our cavs have had on and off fleas problems for the last couple of years, obviously it starts about now where they are affected the worse.

We have tried nearly everything there is for fleas, preventative and for the actual problem.

At one stage we were paying heaps to have them (and the cats) sprayed with frontline at the vets. But in the end couple days after they would be sprayed, they would go outside and get bitten again.

We have tried other products. The main problem is when they go outside (which is mostly just to do their business), the fleas must be in the ground . We even made a smaller area for them to go into, but it still happens.

We do flea bomb the house, and their bedding etc and yes it does help for a while. But then somehow they get bitten again.

We have given captars as well.

We now spend many evenings flea combing them ..

I don't know if its because we live near so much water, but yeah I am yet to find a solution without costing heaps of money each year on flea treatments ..

It's very frustrating !

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

My dogs have never had fleas. This year, I dont know, maybe cos it is so hot and wet and humid here, they like those conditions or something. all 4 dogs have them so I treated them all and the cat.

Saturday is a big bath day this week in my house. All 4 of them and then try to do the cat as well.....

I think this kind of weather doesn't help either ! :(

I feel really terrible, like I'm a bad owner cos they have fleas.

My yard is all dirt at the moment, with 3 big dogs in there, and the cav inside all the time, so it is just like a mud pit. I will flea bomb the house this weekend too. Do you know if it is one of the ones where you have to leave the house for a few hours???

You're not a bad owner!

I'll come clean....I noticed a single evil little flea the other week and my dogs have NEVER had fleas, I was mortified :o Straight to buy some Comfortis and they're all gone.

It must be the weather as I have never seen a flea on either of my two before, and yes I felt like a bad owner too :laugh:

I feel really terrible, like I'm a bad owner cos they have fleas.

My yard is all dirt at the moment, with 3 big dogs in there, and the cav inside all the time, so it is just like a mud pit. I will flea bomb the house this weekend too. Do you know if it is one of the ones where you have to leave the house for a few hours???

You are not a bad owner Chicken !! *hugs*

I used to look down on people whose dogs had fleas, and now i have experienced it with my 2 ! now the shoe is on the other foot !

Yes you need to leave the house for a while after you flea bomb it. Good time to go out for a drive/big walk with your dogs :)

I have found Comfortis to be really effective. My dog who has flea allergies hasnt scratch at since I started treating her with this product.

Fleas are terrible at the moment.

I don't think I have tried that one yet ? must look into it ! :)

I was going to get Capstar but they only had the Comfortis so we tried that and it worked really well! :thumbsup:

Is there a neighbourhood cat about?

These buggers carry fleas into other yards and their owner's hardly ever know the cat has fleas as they don't scratch and are more resistant to the little buggers.

altho our 2 cats are either kept indoors, or in an outside enclosure, we do have a cat from next door coming over every so often grrrr and on occasions a big stray one ! :mad so they very well could be bringing fleas into our yard also, altho our Cavs have a smaller area they go out into which i have never seen the stray cats come into because they know we are always around that area (a section just out of the back door)

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

I buy worming tablets and the Comfortis online from Vet n Pet Direct.

Comfortis is a tablet which I find works better for me - they happily swallow it with their meals - I have used Advantage in the past, but it didn't seem to be as effective, it would come off on the lounge, etc. after you apply it and I noticed the fleas would be back before a month. Comfortis much more effective.

I don't use anything for ticks. I prefer to check them almost daily - they are Staffords so not alot of hair, easy to feel and see if there is one and they enjoy the attention. Touch wood I've never found one.

I have treated them with frontline and powdered their beds. I have to wait 2 days to bath them and will be doing so with flea shampoo.

If you're using a top spot such as Frontline, it's best to avoid insecticidal shampoos.

It might be worth switching to Comfortis and see how that goes, I've used it on my own dogs with great success after battling a really bad flea problem. As a vet nurse I'm yet to meet one single client who has switched to Comfortis and not been happy.