Savlon

terrace

I'm sure we have stories at home where we made up a salty mix and poured it over our wounds.

Minimiss above says she made up a salty mix to taste that worked well. I've never heard of over salting a wound. But again, i'm open to learning and standing corrected (provided with correct links, articles, studies, something to back a claim). Educate me ;)

My mums Maltese recently had sore, red, gungy eyes, she made up her own salty solution and rinsed his eyes out and waalahh, new clean uninfected eyes. All from salty tap home made water ;)

educate you :rofl: you're the 2 second expert on everything dog :rofl:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sure we have stories at home where we made up a salty mix and poured it over our wounds.

Minimiss above says she made up a salty mix to taste that worked well. I've never heard of over salting a wound. But again, i'm open to learning and standing corrected (provided with correct links, articles, studies, something to back a claim). Educate me ;)

My mums Maltese recently had sore, red, gungy eyes, she made up her own salty solution and rinsed his eyes out and waalahh, new clean uninfected eyes. All from salty tap home made water ;)

The poor eyes... are u insane!! Id be using more luke warm tea..

Guest donatella

Not my work, my mums, seemed to have work though.

Its fine to use savlon to clean the wound. I like betadine as an antiseptic also.

I would not recommend anyone use 1 tbs of salt in a cup of water. The wound will dry out and wounds need to be moist to heal.

How bad is the cut? Did it need a trip to the vet?

don't worry salt water can cure everything :laugh: don't worry about the stinging the dog has to endure

don't worry salt water can cure everything :laugh: don't worry about the stinging the dog has to endure

Sounds like.. She'll be right "Its just a dog"

Salt water wash is also good for human eyes.. Conjunctivitis etc. Obviously eyes and other mucus membranes can be 'over salted' but I wasn't aware that wounds could be. As they say too much of anything is bad for you, so I'm sure this rule applies to everything.

But then, I work in finance at a school, perhaps I could count the granules for you instead? :rofl:

Off topic but now I've been reminded of chicken salt, I want KFC chips!! :D

Guest donatella

http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/dog-eye-problems.html

Doggie Tears Eye Drops for Dog Eye Irritation - Mild:

¼ teaspoon of sea salt

1 cup distilled water

Add the salt to the water and stir. Keep at room temperature. Apply by either dipping a cotton ball into the solution and squeezing drops into eyes or buy using a glass or plastic dropper. Apply drops until they run out of the eye.

http://www.pet-supplies-review.com/dog-eye-problems.html

If your dog has dust or dirt in his eyes (perhaps after a romp in the park), you can gently wash his eyes by mixing together 2 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt. Pour this concoction onto a cotton swab and squeeze the liquid into your dog's eyes. Do not touch your dog's eyes with your hands or with the swab.

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4898741_treating-wounds-salt-water.htm

Why Salt Water?

Salt water has long been considered a natural antiseptic and helps clean and sterilize open wounds. Although the famous expression "putting salt in the wound" has a negative connotation because salt tends to sting when placed in an open sore or cut, salt is beneficial in the long run. Because salt tends to be abrasive, it is best that you dilute it in a water solution. Salt water is most effective when 1 Tbsp. of salt is added to 1 cup of warm water. Stir the salt into the water until it dissolves, and then soak your wounds in it. Although salt-water treatment is not ideal as the primary treatment for all wounds, it is an excellent initial treatment to disinfect a wound.

Read more: Treating Wounds With Salt Water | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4898741_treating-wounds-salt-water.html#ixzz1da0O2sdj

I'm not too sure you can over salt a wound, but if you've got a litre bottle then might pay to make up a litre as said above with a teaspoon of salt.

Also there have been numerous studies between sterile water and tap water and they are inconclusive that sterile water is actually better then tap water. I am more then happy for a patient to wash their wound down in the shower, in fact we make them as its one of the best natural cleansers.

In full this article goes on to say to rinse the salt water completely away and then use hydrogen peroxide on it. Hardly seems like a source that actually knows the benefits of cleaning with salt water

¼ teaspoon of sea salt

1 cup distilled water

Add the salt to the water and stir. Keep at room temperature. Apply by either dipping a cotton ball into the solution and squeezing drops into eyes or buy using a glass or plastic dropper. Apply drops until they run out of the eye.

If your dog has dust or dirt in his eyes (perhaps after a romp in the park), you can gently wash his eyes by mixing together 2 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt. Pour this concoction onto a cotton swab and squeeze the liquid into your dog's eyes. Do not touch your dog's eyes with your hands or with the swab.

at least they got the ratio correct but they need to use a spell checker if they want to be taken seriously

¼ teaspoon of sea salt

1 cup distilled water

The part you quoted is significantly different to 1 tablespoon in a cup of water