Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs

Cam21291

The Leonburger looks good. Very large yet humble. A bit concerned about it's heavy seasonal shedding.

They shed about the same amount as a border collie (there is just proportionately more hair because it's a much bigger dog). Still, probably not the breed for you if you are after low shedding.

What about a standard poodle? They don't shed, drool, are active and the ones Ive met are all good with kids. Or if you're after something more solid how about a rotti?

I was just about to mention a standard poodle too :) My Mum calls them 'Woolie Horses'.

I want one that doesn't druel, doesn't shed excessively, is good with children and other animals. Has a good temperament. Is fairly active (needs to keep up with my border collie) and no size does really matter that much but I would prefer a larger dog.

All dogs are what you make of them and not every bernese is as described as above. A berner doesn't shed anymore than a border but yes...bigger dog.

You can import a Swissy from O/S and breed them :)

Yeah I dont know about a rotti, bit to aggressive for me. I just wish someone would important and breed swissys, that would solve all my problems

I have never met an aggressive rotti.. The ones I've met are usually asleep on someone on the couch or following them around like a little shadow... :) I'm usually quite intimidated by large dogs, due to being quite small myself and having an incident when I was younger but rotti's are not a breed I feel uncomfortable around..

How long do dogs have to be in quarantine for? And at what age can they be imported?

Most places they can come in at 9 months, you need to contact some breeders that are happy to keep a dog for you that long and do the health testing (hips elbows eyes etc) and do all the rabies testing/titres (this takes 6 months).

Quarantine is 30 nights and about $1400, freight would be the worst bit (it cost me $5500 just in airfare to get a 14 week old berner from sweden 4 years ago, they are now a category 4 country so, 9 months til they can come :( )

If you get a nice breeder who wont charge you too much to buy and raise the dog it would be maybe $12,000 all up

You then need the breed to be recognised by the ANKC, theres a few people on here who could help you get a breed recognised by the ANKC.

Beware of Swissy temperaments though, there are some 'sharp' temperaments around and make sure that there are excellent orthopaedics behind the parents.

Edited by *Lolapalooza*

So are you saying you can't really get a puppy younger then say 6 months imported? And yes training a dog to be around those animals is my job but you still have to be very careful about which dogs you choose. Not all dogs, regardless of how well they are trained, will be suitable around farm animals. In regards to the jack russel, there is a difference between training a dog to be around farm animals (cows, sheep, etc) and training them to be around chickens, it's a whole different story. Not many dogs are able to be around chickens.

My real concern is that I live on a farm and I need a dog that is 100% ok around horses, cows, sheep and goats. I can't afford to hAve a dog that shows any form of aggressive tendencies.

The Greater Swiss is a traditional family guardian dog

if you do not want a dog that shows any form of aggressive tendencies

I think you a looking at the wrong category of dog.

My real concern is that I live on a farm and I need a dog that is 100% ok around horses, cows, sheep and goats. I can't afford to hAve a dog that shows any form of aggressive tendencies.

The Greater Swiss is a traditional family guardian dog

if you do not want a dog that shows any form of aggressive tendencies

I think you a looking at the wrong category of dog.

This.

So are you saying you can't really get a puppy younger then say 6 months imported? And yes training a dog to be around those animals is my job but you still have to be very careful about which dogs you choose. Not all dogs, regardless of how well they are trained, will be suitable around farm animals. In regards to the jack russel, there is a difference between training a dog to be around farm animals (cows, sheep, etc) and training them to be around chickens, it's a whole different story. Not many dogs are able to be around chickens.

It is not breed dependent to have a dog that is 100% around stock (or poultry). It is training. I have horses, sheep, a goat, a donkey, chickens and ducks, and until recently, pigs and cattle. I also have dogs, including 4 terriers. The dogs are100% around the other animals because we trained them to be. The chooks free range and the only drama we have is collecting the eggs before the dogs help themselves.