Suggestions For Living With A Destructive Bull Breed Pup

ruthless

Our foster pup has been adopted and goes on trial Saturday after next. He's realllllllly destructive. Hopefully in an environment where he's getting sufficient attention and stimulation he won't be as bad. The new owners have been suitably warned and they don't seem fazed. I'd love to compile a list of things to do with him and give him to prevent boredom. It's quite a few years since Chopper used to wreck everything. I know a lot of tricks, but I might have forgotten some. What worked for you?

Bella can sometimes be rather destructive when left alone. I give her different toys/activities on different days to make it more interesting. She has a Kong and a Kong Wobbler (the latter is probably the more better one for boredom as there is more activity, but I don't think it'd be too strenuous).

I'm getting the book "learning games" from cleanrun. When it arrives I'll post some more ideas. In the meantime I'd suggest lots ofittle training sessions to tire him out. Free shaping with a clicker, target training, scent detection etc could help.

Sorry to hijack the thread but can I just that Bella is absolutely :love: :love: :love: GazelleHound?!

Back to the OP! :o

Can I second that? :D

Advise for destructive boy! Rawhide chews, for an outside toy a kong filed with frozen water & beefstock, and I am a huge fan of the Starmark's interactive toys, the everlasting treat ball is my pick :D

http://aboutdogtraining.sitestreet.com/173/Everlasting_Treat_Ball.htm

Bull breeds like to chew, i get tough cardboard box's from bunnings, my BT loves them!

Anything that comes in a big box here goes to her. :laugh:

Plastic milk bottles with peanut butter just inside, frozen water bottles.

leather deflated soccer balls.

Old garden hose.

I often think before i chuck something out if it can entertain her, and she is 4! :rofl:

Hiding treats inside boxes, tubes, egg cartons is always good too, to make things a little tougher I sometimes use masking tape to hold the box together a bit longer :laugh: . As long as owners are happy to clean up the mess it can keep a dog occupied for a while. Scatter treats in the lawn so dog has to forage for them. I also recommend ful size bull whizzers or beef tendons both available from Here. They also keep chewers busy for a while. Just watch the tendons as they are really hard.

I have a nearly 6 month old SBT destructo dog and she loves a ice cream tub with very diluted stock frozen with either a turkey neck or chunk of chicken etc with pieces of cheese, apple, carrot etc. Keeps her busy for a while. I also use juice/ice break/soft drink bottles etc with a couple small treats inside. Make sure the bottles are the thicker plastic though as my girl does rip thru softer ones like the plain milk/cordial bottle very easy but most of the time because there are treats inside, I find all the little bits around the yard coz she just wants the treats. Treat balls/kongs that have been frozen with mince inside also keep her busy.

Water bottles? Really? He'll decimate them and possibly eat them. I thought they'd be dangerous :confused:

Water bottles, or other drink bottles are great, but very noisy. They usually stay in one piece, torn, with lots of bite marks (ie, easy to clean up). I've never seen one harm a dog and my puppies have gone through dozens. For added entertainment, hang them on a rope from a tree or rafter. In hot weather, hang them partially full of water. The dog will puncture them and get sprinkled.

The only problem is they produce a running and twisting sort of play . . . which I think you're trying to avoid.

p.s. another cheap item that doesn't get torn to shreds and works well hung on a rope is discount paint rollers.

Edited by sandgrubber

I'd build a dog run that is big enough to chuck the dog and toys in, for when they aren't home. Destructive dogs are also a danger to themselves and are best locked up when unsupervised, so they are not felling trees, ripping fence palings off, digging up water pipes and generally trashing the place.

The ever lasting treat balls last all of 1 min at my place - and I have mini schnauzers!E

Eta: a deer antler from sway could keep him occupied

Yup, same here. Everlasting they are not!

He has an antler already :thumbsup: But he only gets it for short amounts of time so he doesn't wear his teeth down.

Surely this isn't Petey the sweetest faced boy I have ever seen, butter wouldnt melt in his mouth :laugh:

I knew nothing about how destuctive Bull Breeds could be until Abbie the destroyer entered my life. After coming home to untouched kongs but the mattress off my bed pulled down the passage to the front door, carpet pulled up but interactive toy still sitting on kitchen floor and much more :eek: I built a very large pen in my dining room (Abbietraz)and secure her and the toys, bullchews in the pen, she now happily goes into pen when I am at work. She is now nearly two but when I relent and let her stay out of the pen when I go out she still destroys the house.