Picking The Right Pup ?

rajacadoo

OK, so we have a litter of 4 ACD pups, 2 boys and 2 girls, 10 weeks old today...

We are probably keeping one of the boys, but we cant agree on which one :) ...

The 1 my hubby wants is a very heavy, solid little guy. Hes considerably bigger than his brother, although he is balanced. The other boy is also nicely balanced but he is just more moderate than his brother and he's the one I prefer. Both boys weighed 5kgs when they were vaccinated at 8 weeks, despite the heavier one looking a lot bigger and heavier than his brother :confused: ...

So my question is to those breeders who have possibly kept a heavier pup from the litter, was he/she too heavy as an adult ??? Did he/she level out as an adult into a nice size, or did he/she end up being pet homed, because of his size ??? For those who have had a bigger, heavier pup, and sold it as a pet, were you able to follow it up and did he/she stay heavy ???

Im just wondering, because we have had to rehome a few dogs this year, and I am just not wanting to show this boy, and find out down the line that hes just too heavy, so another older dog needing to find a lovely forever home :o ...

Thoughts ???

OK, so we have a litter of 4 ACD pups, 2 boys and 2 girls, 10 weeks old today...

We are probably keeping one of the boys, but we cant agree on which one :) ...

The 1 my hubby wants is a very heavy, solid little guy. Hes considerably bigger than his brother, although he is balanced. The other boy is also nicely balanced but he is just more moderate than his brother and he's the one I prefer. Both boys weighed 5kgs when they were vaccinated at 8 weeks, despite the heavier one looking a lot bigger and heavier than his brother :confused: ...

So my question is to those breeders who have possibly kept a heavier pup from the litter, was he/she too heavy as an adult ??? Did he/she level out as an adult into a nice size, or did he/she end up being pet homed, because of his size ??? For those who have had a bigger, heavier pup, and sold it as a pet, were you able to follow it up and did he/she stay heavy ???

Im just wondering, because we have had to rehome a few dogs this year, and I am just not wanting to show this boy, and find out down the line that hes just too heavy, so another older dog needing to find a lovely forever home :o ...

Thoughts ???

As Pat Hastings says in her lecture, "size, bone and substance in babies are absolutely no indication of what they will be when full grown. Always pick the puppy with the best conformation and cross your fingers for correct size, bone and substance as these are in the lap of the gods.

I have had BCs since 1983 and have seen some whopping puppies come to a stop at 6 months and end up fine. Other little ones have grown in height to 18 months and continued to fill out into substantial dogs. My first two were prime examples, the first dog was a tiny 3kg at 8 weeks. He matured to almost top of standard at nearly 21" and weighed 21kg. My first bitch was 8kg at 8 weeks, 14kg and 19" at 6 months and still 14kg and 19" at 22 months when she was mated. After the litte she matured out at about 17kgs.

I previously bred cattle dogs and would agree with Pat Hastings quote.

One of the biggest bitches in one litter sent to a pet home turned into a lithe athletic medium sized girl at 12mths

Litter sister that I kept was medium sized as a pup - by 12mths she was top of the standard in height and weight for bitches and beautifully balanced.

Have seen the same happen with dogs PLUS the complete opposite! Big pups ending us and coarse adults.....Cross your fingers and hope you make the right decision!

Sorry if I was not any help :o

speaking from very limited experience i agree with others. now way of knowing... My bitch was a tiny girl at 8 weeks and grew in height to top of standard, and has plenty of bone. Puppies from the litter, well i had the choice between two boys, a big boy who had been my favourite for nearly the entire time, and another who came out of no where at 8 weeks with superb movement and balance, but he was a fair bit smaller than his brother. I picked the second boy. 6 months later the big boy is still HUGE and my pick boy is smaller but with plenty of bone, and still outstanding movement and on the stack, balances better than his brother.

Ok so we got the pics up, but all over the place :o ... Not sure why they were repeated on the first post ???

Ok so the pics of the lighter coloured pup is Spot, he is the one that is a little finer, the one I prefer... The pics have distorted them a little, but you get an idea !!!

The third pic in the first post is Patch, he is obviously the second boy, the one who hubby prefers...His head shot is in the second lot of pics.

The last pic shows both boys sitting at the front of their run, just to compare them a little.

The pics really dont show the size difference between them as well as I had hoped, sorry...

Dad is a very slow maturer, from very slow maturing lines, Mum is from very quick maturing lines ;) ... Also to add that both Mum and Dad are at the top end of their height scales as well.

Forgot to say the pups were 1 day short of 9 weeks in these shots...

Edited by rajacadoo

I prefer the body on the heavier pup, I prefer the head on the leggier pup.

Yep that just about sums up how I am beginning to feel as well, Aziah :) ...

In poor Patch's defence, now that his ears are more upright, he does look better. I will see if I can get some more pics up after the weekend, (I cant download pics, totally computer illiterate, and hubby is working double shifts over the weekend :))...

In my breed it seems to go..

If you are overdone as a pup, you will be more overdone (course) as an Adult.

If you are undone done, chances are you have somewhere to go.

And then there is mother nature and none of the above applies. :laugh:

Definitely the heavier puppy. He is far better angulated, especially in the front. Hard to tell with the rear because he is stretched out but looks a better shape all over. The lighter one is not just lighter in bone , but lacks depth of chest and width of forquarter and hindquarter.