Changing Mind On Puppy Buyer

Heidii

we sold a puppy to a lady who has paid for the puppy in full and is due to pick him up in a weeks time. We have had a few problems with this lady including complaining about the amount she spent on the puppy (talks about this every time we talk to her) and most recently said she was nervous about getting him etc plus a few other things. We now would prefer not to sell her this puppy and refund her money in full however have been told by someone that legally the puppy is hers and my law we cannot change our minds. Has anyone been in this situation? I have spoken to a few breeders who have said they do it all the time but just wanted to check with some people on here.

we sold a puppy to a lady who has paid for the puppy in full and is due to pick him up in a weeks time. We have had a few problems with this lady including complaining about the amount she spent on the puppy (talks about this every time we talk to her) and most recently said she was nervous about getting him etc plus a few other things. We now would prefer not to sell her this puppy and refund her money in full however have been told by someone that legally the puppy is hers and my law we cannot change our minds. Has anyone been in this situation? I have spoken to a few breeders who have said they do it all the time but just wanted to check with some people on here.

Do you not have a contract that was signed when you sold the puppy and collected the money ? Other than the conditions on that, I am not sure what the legalities would be ??

A pup is a living breathing creature not a piece of furniture and you as it's breeder should do what you feel is right. If you are unhappy with this person for whatever reason, call them and tell them that you have changed your mind and a full refund is available, where do the want it sent.

They could well decide that as the "consumer" they have the right to the product, but frankly I'd rather someone attempt to sue me, than put a pup in a place where I don;t feel comfortable.

Ultimately it's your decision

Why don't you just say to the purchaser next time they complain, if your not happy we will give you a full refund.

yes I emailed my concerns after the 4 hour convo and my phone went flat and she appologised and said she had to much to drink and that she still really wants him but we dont think she is ready

... but frankly I'd rather someone attempt to sue me, than put a pup in a place where I don;t feel comfortable.

Ultimately it's your decision

yes very true....I hate feeling like the worst person in the world...I just think how I would feel in her shoes and it would upset me alot having a puppy taken away but again I think its the right decision for the puppy.

I always write into my contracts that I will refund all monies if I determine the dog to be unsuitable. Though this hasn't happened as yet, I would be inclined to say that the dog is "too xyz" for the buyer and refund the money and be done with it. Saying that the dog is no longer suitable is a bit more charming than saying that you don't like her anymore. ;)

Do you not have a contract that was signed when you sold the puppy and collected the money ? Other than the conditions on that, I am not sure what the legalities would be ??

yes on my recepit it says if we can no longer offer you a puppy, you will be issued a full refund.

How would you feel for life if you sold this puppy on with your doubts. I'm pretty sure you would be worrying every single day that this baby would not be getting the love, caring, patience and the million and one other things we would want them to have....and it's always wise to follow your gut instincts. Lie if you have to, to get out of it, it doesn't matter, but what matters is the well being of your baby!

I would advise this woman that you don't believe this puppy is going to be suitable the right match etc for her. And refund her monies.

You will be stressed for ever about this puppy, and in your heart of hearts you know this is not a good home.

I have to confess I have advised people that I don't think that a puppy in a litter is suitable and pulled out of a sale.

yes on my recepit it says if we can no longer offer you a puppy, you will be issued a full refund.

well thats covered then, if it states that, then i would tell her as others posted, the puppy is no longer available due to *******.

Go with your instincts and just say what others here have said that you feel atm the this puppy is not suitable for you and refund their money. I think you'll regret it if you don't.

I had on one occasion where a puppy didn't work out and I said I would come and take a look with full intentions of refunding their money and taking my puppy back as what they were saying was making me very uneasy. My mum said I was over reacting and it would be fine, we walked through the door and my mum whispers to me we are taking the pup, I said I told you. It was a lovely house but had a strange vibe and the pup had not bonded with them at all. He ended up going to a wonderful home later.

After that I try and always go with my gut feeling.

Guest Doglady0419

I have been in a similar situation.....I was being played against another breeder that had their litter one day prior to mine.....I took a deposit for a pup that the buyer agreed to....as time went by the couple continuously prograstinated on whether the pup was right for them so I refunded their deposit in full and told them I no longer have a pup for them. They were not happy, but it is my right as a breeder to sell or not to sell to an individual as I see fit.

I had a family who were interested in one of my puppies - no deposit was taken.

However they did not understand there was no puppy for them (unsuitable) in the end I lied and said the puppy died, They never called again.

You're in Vic so use the biblical proportions of legislation to your advantage.

Basically, you can say for xyz temperamental/physical reasons, you no longer believe it is in the puppy's best interest to be sold into a new home OR the homes best interest. And as you are legally liable for all sorts of things to do with the puppy, then the buck stops with you.

You're not taking what is legally theirs; you're abiding by your State Legislation and being a good breeder.

A 4 hour conversation & she had too much to drink :eek: What is there to discuss for 4 hours ? That tells me enough.

Make up some excuse, lie, anything, say you may not be breeding anymore or you will never get any peace in the future either.

You have made a mistake here so fix it whichever way you have to.

well the call has been made, and yes lilli, we told her he was unsuitable due to temperamental issues however she is being persistent and says she wants to see him, she cried and cried, but we have told her no, its in everyones best interests. We will just have to wait and see what happens now :( ...we are waiting for bank details

well the call has been made, and yes lilli, we told her he was unsuitable due to temperamental issues however she is being persistent and says she wants to see him, she cried and cried, but we have told her no, its in everyones best interests. We will just have to wait and see what happens now :( ...we are waiting for bank details

How horrible, but bet you are relieved now you have said what you needed to say