Breed Suggestions

salamancat

or what about a polish lowland sheepdog? they are just like a beardie, just slightly smaller!

Ther are only a handful of them in the country and I believe the waiting lists for puppies are very long.

A rough collie would suit, and if you want unusual, a merle would tick that box. Aussies are great, but then I'm biased, Finnish Lapphunds are gorgeous too and similar temperaments to Aussies.

Only one of my Aussies needs constant exercise but even he is content to miss a day here and there if its wet outside. They are all good with kids but the females are a bit more gentle and a bit less. Lunch than the boys.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's also German Spitz, Keeshond and Samoyeds if you like the look of the Lapphund. The spitz family have some lovely members. Although I'm a bit partial to Lappies...

In gundogs there are the various spaniels. Field Spaniels are lovely, and I adore Clumbers. Welsh Springers are lesser known but gorgeous too.

Or Setters - Gordon, English or Irish.

SAMOYED !!! If you are prepared for a fair amount of grooming and a firm yet fair hand in training they are the best dog you could ever own ( im biased ofcourse) . They just adore people, and when well socialized they are amazing dogs. Being a spitz breed, they are known to have an independant streak, so training is a must ( as with any dog really) from a young age. Also i must stress on the shedding. You will have to learn to love it everywhere !!

EDITED : SPELLING

Edited by Bobby_The_Samoyed

I really like the look of the Field Spaniels, Wikipedia makes me think their temperament would be alright, and I really like the Finnish Lapphunds. How hard is it to get a puppy of either breed?

Oh Salukis are lovely too! I've got so much research to do now!

Edited by salamancat

I really like the look of the Field Spaniels, Wikipedia makes me think their temperament would be alright, and I really like the Finnish Lapphunds. How hard is it to get a puppy of either breed?

Hey Salamancat, you will find soo many amazing breeds. I strongly suggest you research ALOT !! Read whatever you can get your hands on, and jump to the breed threads alot of information about all the breeds from breeders and owners. Invaluable tips :thumbsup:

SAMOYED !!! If you are prepared for a fair amount of grooming and a firm yet fair hand in training they are the best dog you could ever own ( im biased ofcourse) . They just adore people, and when well socialized they are amazing dogs. Being a spitz breed, they are known to have an independant streak, so training is a must ( as with any dog really) from a young age. Also i must stress on the shedding. You will have to learn to love it everywhere !!

I was used to my lab shedding, he dropped a huge amount of hair every single day, so it's not a problem for me.

I was used to my lab shedding, he dropped a huge amount of hair every single day, so it's not a problem for me.

With sammys you will have long white hair in food, drinks, clothes, car haha, but if the hair isnt an issue to you. I suggest you really look into samoyeds. Truly the best breed i have ever owned. Get to understand the spitz breed and its independence. It is described by many as a cat trait :)

Edited by Bobby_The_Samoyed

You could also look at a sheltie as well - love being with family and will fit in with what you are doing. They also do very well in the obedience/agility scene as well.

Some can be barky but with training, will just give an alert bark.

Maybe you could write down a list of breeds that you are interested in and then try and locate an all breeds show near where you live and go and see some of the breeds in person :)

Guest english.ivy

Belgian Shepherd - Groenendael.

Uncommon, long hair but easy to groom, LOVE to do nothing if that is what their master wants to do. My three year old will happily lay around all day. But if you want to go for a big walk, she's all for it.

Very smart but not independant.

My girl adores children too and she attracts the attention of kids and I have no issues letting kids pat her.

Their coat seems to hold onto their hair, so they don't shed an awful lot, as long as you groom them a couple of times a week during their twice a year moult. Their fur it also really easy to remove from clothing and the floor.

Feild Spaniels are awesome :thumbsup: My friend owns and shows a feild spaniel (I have handled her in the ring a handfull of times aswell) and she has the most DEVINE temperment! You have to watch your lines as some can be abit skitty but the good ones are BRILLIANT!:thumbsup:

Guest donatella

Finnish Lapphund. Not that common, strikingly beautiful. They seem to tick all your boxes. Another one of my 'wish list' dogs. Since joining this forum my list is becoming alarmingly long!

this this this!!

the Finnish Lapphund are GORGEOUS!! it is the next dog on my want list, maybe one day when i'm in a house with a proper yard. they are just so strikingly beautiful though, i can imagine you'd get a lot of compliments on these guys.

Aussie Shepherd!

Ours lives happily in a house with 4 young boys, and shares the yard with chickens. She will happily laze on the couch all day if it's raining or I'm busy, and is equally up for a long walk/run. The most she's gone without a walk is three days, and she wasn't bouncing off the walls at all!

She is my first dog that I've trained in obedience, and both of us are loving it and doing really well. And she's definitely "different" looking- we are constantly stopped down the street by people asking what kind of dog she is!

But definitely look into the different lines- not all are cruisy- there's one at my dog park who really needs 2 good runs a day or she destroys things :)

Come have a chat in the spitz breed thread if you have any questions about lappies, samoyeds, keeshonden or any of the other spitz breeds. http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/137956-spitz-breeds/page__st__57540

An aussie shepherd might suit you as well, they come in 4 different colours but with lots of striking patterns.

I have really loved all the aussies i've had the chance to meet :D

Nova Scotia duck tolling retriever_Brittany or an Airedale .Airedales can relax indoors and are exellent with children,

Agreed, but if OP doesn't want a dog that is bouncy and can be a crazy puppy then an Airedale probably wouldn't be a good idea.